How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Biospace

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Biospace »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:36pm
Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:31pm
Mick F wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:51pm BBC vs Met Office.
BBC warn of "extreme heat" and Met Office warn of "thunderstorms".
One of them is right, or both of them are wrong! :lol: :lol:
Last year for our Lake District part of summer holidays - late August - there was day after day of blue skies once morning mist and cloud had burned away. Not only did the BBC forecast drizzle and low cloud ahead of our stay, but it continued to mention 'grey, cool conditions with low cloud with some light drizzle' throughout our holiday on its radio forecasts, no mention whatsoever of the hot sunshine, day after day after day. At the time, the Pennines and East of was cool and grey with 8/8 cloud.

I did wonder whether this was modern-day BBC reporting as a form of control of people's movements (they were still in panic mode over Covid-19 last year and sounded alarmed the government had opened things up at all) or just their usual ineptitude to provide anything vaguely accurate for that part of the world.

Several local business owners asked how we hadn't been put off by the weather forecast, they seem resigned to the fact the BBC does its best to deter tourists whenever there's any ambiguity over the weather. It left me wondering what other facts might be left out of their reporting.
That's quite some mashup of paranoia and conspiracy theories!

Neither a mashup nor paranoia, nor conspiracy theory.

I'm intrigued why you should think someone is left questioning things when the BBC reports day after day that grey skies and drizzle will continue when the reality is blazing sunshine and near cloudless skies?

In a different time, a reply like yours would be upheld as strange for suggesting someone was paranoid for pointing out the weather was the very opposite of what the BBC was reporting and forecasting. Not just for the odd one or two days, but repeatedly.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:49pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:36pm

Last year for our Lake District part of summer holidays - late August - there was day after day of blue skies once morning mist and cloud had burned away. Not only did the BBC forecast drizzle and low cloud ahead of our stay, but it continued to mention 'grey, cool conditions with low cloud with some light drizzle' throughout our holiday on its radio forecasts, no mention whatsoever of the hot sunshine, day after day after day. At the time, the Pennines and East of was cool and grey with 8/8 cloud.

I did wonder whether this was modern-day BBC reporting as a form of control of people's movements (they were still in panic mode over Covid-19 last year and sounded alarmed the government had opened things up at all) or just their usual ineptitude to provide anything vaguely accurate for that part of the world.

Several local business owners asked how we hadn't been put off by the weather forecast, they seem resigned to the fact the BBC does its best to deter tourists whenever there's any ambiguity over the weather. It left me wondering what other facts might be left out of their reporting.
That's quite some mashup of paranoia and conspiracy theories!

Neither a mashup nor paranoia, nor conspiracy theory.

I'm intrigued why you should think someone is left questioning things when the BBC reports day after day that grey skies and drizzle will continue when the reality is blazing sunshine and near cloudless skies?

In a different time, a reply like yours would be upheld as strange for suggesting someone was paranoid for pointing out the weather was the very opposite of what the BBC was reporting and forecasting. Not just for the odd one or two days, but repeatedly.
If "BBC reporting [of weather!!] as a form of control of people's movements " isn't a paranoid conspiracy then I don't know what is.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 8:51pm BBC vs Met Office.
BBC warn of "extreme heat" and Met Office warn of "thunderstorms".
One of them is right, or both of them are wrong! :lol: :lol:

I did wonder whether this BBC reporting as a form of control of people's movements (they were still in panic mode over Covid-19 last year and sounded alarmed the government had opened things up at all) or just their usual ineptitude to provide anything vaguely accurate for that part of the world.

Although The Lake District is a relatively small area, it's topography means that there's a lot of micro-climates. It can be miserable, cold and wet in one valley but sunny and nice a couple of valleys around the Lakeland "spokes". Often, it's not easy to see the difference "over there" as those dang fells get in the way.

I've been caught out a hundred times cycling through the Lakes. Looks fine ... until you get 10 miles along and it isn't.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:49pmNeither a mashup nor paranoia, nor conspiracy theory.
The idea of a mainstream news provider deliberately providing false weather forecasts in order to control behaviour is as close to a literal definition of a conspiracy theory as a single example will ever get.

Although this is the first I've heard this 'the BBC is getting it wrong on purpose' theory, I have heard a lot of 'the scientists are only guessing' sentiment on music festival forums. On such forums, people get very upset when they're wrong-footed by deluges or heatwaves which they weren't warned of and didn't pack for. The reason for this is a bit more prosaic than any devious attempt to manipulate our behaviour or meteorology being a fake science. It's just that the UK is very, very big and meteorological conditions can be very, very localised. So trying to present an accurate forecast for every location in the country would be like trying to describe in detail every pixel on a very high definition TV screen - the weather forecast would take many hours, and you'd definitely be asleep by the time they got to your pixel. Add to this the fact that there are local weather effects, e.g. areas downwind of hilly terrain which experience more rain in that specific 'pixel' than the rest of that area, and you have all the ingredients for people questioning the science of meteorology. Your options are (1) to try and find a very local weather forecast where a qualified meteorologist has applied the data to your specific pixel (e.g. from local flying or sailing clubs) or just accept that the national weather forecast is just probabilistic and maybe try to learn to interpret how the national conditions are likely to play out in your pixel - e.g. where I live, I know in certain wind directions, I'll often be clouded in when the rest of my area is baking in blue sunshine because of localised cloud from the sea.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Nice bit of light rain this morning. Hoping the thunderstorms miss our bbq with a few friends this evening. Forecast says it should be dry, lets hope so!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jumper back on
I am here. Where are you?
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

DevonDamo wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 3:41pm
Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:49pmNeither a mashup nor paranoia, nor conspiracy theory.
The idea of a mainstream news provider deliberately providing false weather forecasts in order to control behaviour is as close to a literal definition of a conspiracy theory as a single example will ever get.

Although this is the first I've heard this 'the BBC is getting it wrong on purpose' theory, I have heard a lot of 'the scientists are only guessing' sentiment on music festival forums. On such forums, people get very upset when they're wrong-footed by deluges or heatwaves which they weren't warned of and didn't pack for. The reason for this is a bit more prosaic than any devious attempt to manipulate our behaviour or meteorology being a fake science. It's just that the UK is very, very big and meteorological conditions can be very, very localised. So trying to present an accurate forecast for every location in the country would be like trying to describe in detail every pixel on a very high definition TV screen - the weather forecast would take many hours, and you'd definitely be asleep by the time they got to your pixel. Add to this the fact that there are local weather effects, e.g. areas downwind of hilly terrain which experience more rain in that specific 'pixel' than the rest of that area, and you have all the ingredients for people questioning the science of meteorology. Your options are (1) to try and find a very local weather forecast where a qualified meteorologist has applied the data to your specific pixel (e.g. from local flying or sailing clubs) or just accept that the national weather forecast is just probabilistic and maybe try to learn to interpret how the national conditions are likely to play out in your pixel - e.g. where I live, I know in certain wind directions, I'll often be clouded in when the rest of my area is baking in blue sunshine because of localised cloud from the sea.

Please read what I originally wrote rather than just roubaixtursday's selective quote, I said the thought had crossed my mind - "I did wonder" - as it had several local business people minds also. There a world of difference in saying something crosses your mind and stating it as fact.

The locals, like me, fully understand the difference between problems with accurate forecasts in that part of the world and a fortnight of stable anticyclonic conditions when the forecast was wrong day after day in exactly the same way. They were also repeatedly wrong reporting what the recent weather had been, to the point it was quite extraordinary to hear how it had been "grey and overcast with some drizzle" one day after the next of hot sunshine.

When you hear this repeatedly, it is only natural to question what's going on. Whether or not the BBC is independent or impartial is probably a thread in itself.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 6:49pm
Please read what I originally wrote rather than just roubaixtursday's selective quote...
This is an example of a selective quote.

My original quote of your paranoid conspiracy theory, however, was your entire post, and not in the least selective, whilst highlighting the most bonkers parts in bold. I did it that way deliberately so as not to lose the full context.

Here's a link:

viewtopic.php?p=1716364#p1716364

Happy to help!
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 4:13pm Nice bit of light rain this morning. Hoping the thunderstorms miss our bbq with a few friends this evening. Forecast says it should be dry, lets hope so!

Al
Hi Al,
Still dry as a bone in North Curry. We could hear the thunder rumbling around and have just seen reports of torrential downpours on the M5 around Taunton.
Hope it missed you as well and enjoy your BBQ.
Last edited by rjb on 15 Aug 2022, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

DevonDamo wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 3:41pm

Please read what I originally wrote rather than just roubaixtursday's selective quote, I said the thought had crossed my mind - "I did wonder" - as it had several local business people minds also. There's a world of difference in saying something crosses your mind and stating it as fact.

The locals, like me, fully understand the difference between problems with accurate forecasts in that part of the world and a fortnight of stable anticyclonic conditions when the forecast was wrong day after day in exactly the same way. It was also repeatedly wrong reporting what the recent weather had been, to the point it was quite extraordinary to hear how it had been "grey and overcast with some drizzle" where we were, one day after the next of hot sunshine. Not just one corner of Cumbria, the whole county.

When you hear this repeatedly, it is only natural to question what's going on. Whether or not the BBC is independent or impartial is probably a thread in itself, but I'd be very surprised to hear that they would deliberately leave out some weather facts even for an overcrowded holiday destination, even shortly after lockdown restrictions had ended.

It's possible the BBC sometimes deliberately leaves out Cumbria in its radio forecasts given the variability of its weather, lumping it in with 'The North West', so it was interesting to hear people from south and north of the region describing exactly the same conditions at home.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Cugel wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 2:19pm
Although The Lake District is a relatively small area, it's topography means that there's a lot of micro-climates. It can be miserable, cold and wet in one valley but sunny and nice a couple of valleys around the Lakeland "spokes". Often, it's not easy to see the difference "over there" as those dang fells get in the way.

I've been caught out a hundred times cycling through the Lakes. Looks fine ... until you get 10 miles along and it isn't.

Cugel
Yes, I've been cycling in and around the English Lakes for decades, I've experienced many of its local weather specialities.

This was something quite different, with very settled weather - high pressure off the Western Isles creating a steady North Easterly over the North of England, Scotland and N Ireland. Same right across Cumbria - not often that's the case. I'll always try and sail there with a Northerly, slmost always fine conditions and a steady breeze.

There was a very defined break in the cloud running over the Western Pennines, the previous week in Upper Swaledale we'd camped pretty much right under this break with chilly and dull mornings and once the sun emerged around noon, increasingly hot.

I do notice the BBC forecasts tend to be glass half empty compared with others I use, notably XCWeather.

Here are a couple of small images of weather late August, last year.

28AUG2021.jpg
28AUG2021.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 364 times
25AUG2021 temps forecast.jpeg
25AUG2021 temps forecast.jpeg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 364 times
13C in Yorkshire, 23C in the Lake District, not often like that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We had a bit of drizzle at about 6am, and then about 8am.
Totally and utterly dry and sunny for the rest of the day and into the evening.
29degC.

The thing is, the north part of Cornwall, and the west too, and into North Devon had torrential rain and thunder and lightning with flooded roads.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:35pm We had a bit of drizzle at about 6am, and then about 8am.
29degC.

The thing is, the north part of Cornwall, and the west too, and into North Devon had torrential rain and thunder and lightning with flooded roads.
So both forecasts were right. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 7:01pm
Biospace wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 6:49pm
Please read what I originally wrote rather than just roubaixtursday's selective quote...
This is an example of a selective quote.

My original quote of your paranoid conspiracy theory, however, was your entire post, and not in the least selective, whilst highlighting the most bonkers parts in bold. I did it that way deliberately so as not to lose the full context.

Here's a link:

viewtopic.php?p=1716364#p1716364

Happy to help!
roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 1:55pm If "BBC reporting [of weather!!] as a form of control of people's movements " isn't a paranoid conspiracy then I don't know what is.

Was it really not clear I was referring to your post selectively quoting, which potentially the other forum member had read rather than multple preceding posts?

You appear to have convinced yourself of how others think, which is interesting. When you sense someone else isn't entirely in agreement with your way of seeing the world, why not engage with them rather than using your sarcasm to try and ridicule?

roubaixtuesday wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:40pm BBC weather forecasts are now provided by Meteo Group BTW.

Wonder how they were brought in on the conspiracy to control us?

Something to do with Bill Gates and 5G perhaps?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:40pm
Mick F wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 8:35pm We had a bit of drizzle at about 6am, and then about 8am.
29degC.

So both forecasts were right. :lol:
No, neither were right.

Met Office forecast is for The Tamar Valley Mining District ........... where we live.
BBC forecast is for Tavistock. About four miles east of here.
BOTH were wrong.

If you want to know the weather, stick your head out of the window!
Mick F. Cornwall