How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Cowsham »

Beautiful day yesterday -- got 50 miles in on the mountain bike partially loaded panniers to get ready for a trip. One of those days you'd hope would never end.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote: 9 May 2023, 11:02am The Rivington resevoir system is still low and hasn't yet recovered completely from last summer.
After never completely recovering over the winter from last years very dry summer the last few weeks has seen the Rivi system's water levels plummet,I'd estimate they're now at the level they were at their lowest in Aug/Sept 2022,unless there's some biblical deluges we're in for some severe water shortages in the area.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

We've had one day of rain in the last two months and it's been summery now for about 4 weeks. 20-28c every day, occasionally some clouds but mostly very sunny.

The early mornings are my favourite times. Being at higher latitude, the dawns are long and eerie. Sometimes very cold too (I cycled to work at 05:00 on Friday at 0c). The lakes are very warm now (19-20c) and the resultant morning mist is stunning.

This photo is from Thursday morning, 04:50, no filters at all:

francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It has been getting very warm, up to 28° yesterday. It's on the very limit of my comfort zone and it seems this year its hotter earlier.
I'm off for 4 days on the bike in a fortnight's time. I just hope it will be a bit cooler then.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

francovendee wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 8:01am It has been getting very warm, up to 28° yesterday. It's on the very limit of my comfort zone and it seems this year its hotter earlier.
I'm off for 4 days on the bike in a fortnight's time. I just hope it will be a bit cooler then.
Its the June Monsoon soon, sunny every day but no rain at all...drought! Expensive top up for our pond under way.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Permawind, we've got. From the NE in the high teens to mid-30s kph for a solid month now, and everywhere I enjoy cycling is to the WSW of home. And everything's dry as a bone, just waiting for some **** tourist to chuck his fag away still lit.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 8:42am
francovendee wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 8:01am It has been getting very warm, up to 28° yesterday. It's on the very limit of my comfort zone and it seems this year its hotter earlier.
Its the June Monsoon soon, sunny every day but no rain at all...drought! Expensive top up for our pond under way.

Al
The dry period here gets longer every year, no signs of rain of any sort. The long range forecast keeps predicting it but as we get nearer it get taken off the forecast. I've pretty well given up taking and heed of the two forecast I've used and just take my own guess. Tomorrow and the following days------ hot hot hot.
We have a mane made lake (70's) that we cycle around. The plan is to raise the level of the barrage by a metre to increase storage. I'll have to get some scuba gear if i want to cycle those tracks. :)
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 8:42am

Al
Bit early Al, the school holidays don't start until July. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

RJB....https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/articl ... ne+Monsoon

Its a fact, unusually dry right now. I remember a 9 day Brittany Tour a few years ago with monsoon like water streaming off my helmet practically every day.

Topping up our pond caused the water people to increase our monthly payment from £30 to £87.50. Just spent two days topping it up - our ducks were complaining!
The veg patch needs constant watering to keep things growing :( A drying NE wind all the time doesnt help.

Looked at Francos weather and it said 28, thats 82 deg F in old money. No wonder he's considering a move North! In a couple of months he will be frazzled.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We planted a quince tree in the front some years ago, and as it matured, we had a supply of quinces each and every autumn.
Two years ago 2021, we had very few fruits despite the blossom being abundant and only had a few fruits. Ditto for 2022 but even less.

This year 2023, we had lots of blossom, but as of today, we can see no baby fruits. None at all.

All we can put it down to, is the lack of rain. This year is worse than ever.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 4:34pm We planted a quince tree in the front some years ago, and as it matured, we had a supply of quinces each and every autumn.
Two years ago 2021, we had very few fruits despite the blossom being abundant and only had a few fruits. Ditto for 2022 but even less.

This year 2023, we had lots of blossom, but as of today, we can see no baby fruits. None at all.

We have had the same with a cherry tree. Not a single budding fruit. We are thinking it wasn’t pollinated. The lack of bees in this area is very obvious and has reduced, seemingly comparably rapidly, in the last two years.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We had huge crops of apples and pears last year, but this year....its going to be very little?

Al
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Hot and sunny here. 27c yesterday, today hotter, tomorrow hotter still, but to cool a little on Friday.

We've had almost no rain since March. April saw zero precipitation and May had 5mm. No rain in prospect either. Everything is starting to look a little parched! :shock:
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 9:48pm
Mick F wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 4:34pm We planted a quince tree in the front some years ago, and as it matured, we had a supply of quinces each and every autumn.

We have had the same with a cherry tree. Not a single budding fruit. We are thinking it wasn’t pollinated. The lack of bees in this area is very obvious and has reduced, seemingly comparably rapidly, in the last two years.
I don't know about the fruit, but we actually have a lot of bee activity at the moment. They were particularly keen on my tame gorse bush a few weeks back when it was in full flower.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I neglected to add that we had 380hrs (a little over 12hrs a day) of sunshine last month too. That is a bit unusual, even for Sweden. To be fair, it is light now at 03:45 and not dark until 22:30, so there is plenty of time for those sunshine hours to accumulate.