How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jon in Sweden

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 12:25pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 10:22am Fantastic weather here for the last week or so.

Constant blue skies, deep (but dry) frosts in the morning, down to around minus 8. 3-8c plus through the day and completely dry, largely snow-free roads.

Being spring, all the animals are making more frequent appearances. This mornings ride included numerous deer, several pairs of cranes, a red squirrel and a pair of capercaillie. Awesome 8)
What kind of tyres do you use in those conditions ?
Over the last few months I've used three different tyre types. Studded tyres when the risk of ice is severe or it's just snowy. I use Schwalbe Marathons for grotty conditions (wet) and slicks for today. It was completely dry, so even though the temperature was just below freezing, the lack of humidity meant there was no ice whatsoever on the road, except for remnant snow in places, but with wide, dry tyre tracks to cycle on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bone dry weather for the last few days here.
First dry spell in MONTHS.

I expect to cut the grass tomorrow. First opportunity with dry grass since late September.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 3:20pm
Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 12:25pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 10:22am Fantastic weather here for the last week or so.

Constant blue skies, deep (but dry) frosts in the morning, down to around minus 8. 3-8c plus through the day and completely dry, largely snow-free roads.

Being spring, all the animals are making more frequent appearances. This mornings ride included numerous deer, several pairs of cranes, a red squirrel and a pair of capercaillie. Awesome 8)
What kind of tyres do you use in those conditions ?
Over the last few months I've used three different tyre types. Studded tyres when the risk of ice is severe or it's just snowy. I use Schwalbe Marathons for grotty conditions (wet) and slicks for today. It was completely dry, so even though the temperature was just below freezing, the lack of humidity meant there was no ice whatsoever on the road, except for remnant snow in places, but with wide, dry tyre tracks to cycle on.
Always very wet here most of the time so at minus anything there's just ice everywhere, hence the question. Thankfully we don't have the minus temperatures often we just live in a watery soup.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 3:42pm Bone dry weather for the last few days here.

I expect to cut the grass tomorrow. First opportunity with dry grass since late September.
I got a second cut of the grass on Saturday but cut it wet.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 5:39pm
Always very wet here most of the time so at minus anything there's just ice everywhere, hence the question. Thankfully we don't have the minus temperatures often we just live in a watery soup.
There aren't many days here with bad ice on the roads. It's usually far enough below freezing in winter that it's just hardpacked snow. With studs, you have really good traction.

You have to watch the gravel roads though as they hold the ice for much longer, and because they are single track, you can get stuck in really icy ruts. That's how I fell off (with studs), when I tried to steer out of an ice rut. I went one way and the bike went the other.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 5:46pm
There aren't many days here with bad ice on the roads. It's usually far enough below freezing in winter that it's just hardpacked snow. With studs, you have really good traction.

You have to watch the gravel roads though as they hold the ice for much longer, and because they are single track, you can get stuck in really icy ruts. That's how I fell off (with studs), when I tried to steer out of an ice rut. I went one way and the bike went the other.
Could be very sore landing on ice or hard packed snow. :?
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 6:50pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 5:46pm

Could be very sore landing on ice or hard packed snow. :?
I came twice at very low speed on the same ride where I went out on unstudded tyres by mistake. Totally ice free in the village, climbed 50m and went into the forest and it was challenging. Came off twice at about 10-12kph and honestly, you just slide. Not a scratch on me.

The time that hurt was the falling off whilst on studs. I was doing about 20kph and landed on my chin. Three stiches ensued.

But this has been my first Swedish winter and I've cycled right through it, dipping below 100km for only one week (and that was because I did loads of skiing that week). Learning the conditions and the different snow types has taken time and I'll be much better prepared and more knowledgeable next winter. The upshot as well is that I've come into spring much fitter than anyone else in the village (there are about a dozen fairly serious cyclists here).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 7:39pm I came twice at very low speed on the same ride where I went out on unstudded tyres by mistake. Totally ice free in the village, climbed 50m and went into the forest and it was challenging. Came off twice at about 10-12kph and honestly, you just slide. Not a scratch on me.

The time that hurt was the falling off whilst on studs. I was doing about 20kph and landed on my chin. Three stiches ensued.

But this has been my first Swedish winter and I've cycled right through it, dipping below 100km for only one week (and that was because I did loads of skiing that week). Learning the conditions and the different snow types has taken time and I'll be much better prepared and more knowledgeable next winter. The upshot as well is that I've come into spring much fitter than anyone else in the village (there are about a dozen fairly serious cyclists here).
Thats great going -- how would you compare winter there with uk ? ( I'm assuming that's where you're from )

Which would you prefer?
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 11:51pm

Thats great going -- how would you compare winter there with uk ? ( I'm assuming that's where you're from )

Which would you prefer?
Yeah, originally from Derby, 13 years in Scotland just outside Edinburgh and 4 years in Devon.

I much prefer the winter here. The snow can get annoying, but we live far enough south that the snowy spells are interspersed by thaws. When it's properly below freezing and there's ploughed, smooth snow, you're incredibly secure on studs. The worst to ride on is thawed and refrozen snow, which becomes ice and traction is a challenge. It's all a case of living and learning.

Precipitation is pretty minimal here compared to the UK (360mm last year) and the wind speed is typically half what it is in Devon.

Summer can get extremely hot (hotter than anywhere in the UK) but it's not uncomfortably long and we have hundreds of lakes here to cool off in. Including one that's a 90 second cycle ride from my front door.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I woke at 06:00 this morning to hear rain.
Drizzled and poured it down on and off all day, and still drizzling now at 15:45.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 5:23am
Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 11:51pm

Which would you prefer?
Yeah, originally from Derby, 13 years in Scotland just outside Edinburgh and 4 years in Devon.

I much prefer the winter here. The snow can get annoying, but we live far enough south that the snowy spells are interspersed by thaws. When it's properly below freezing and there's ploughed, smooth snow, you're incredibly secure on studs. The worst to ride on is thawed and refrozen snow, which becomes ice and traction is a challenge. It's all a case of living and learning.

Precipitation is pretty minimal here compared to the UK (360mm last year) and the wind speed is typically half what it is in Devon.

Summer can get extremely hot (hotter than anywhere in the UK) but it's not uncomfortably long and we have hundreds of lakes here to cool off in. Including one that's a 90 second cycle ride from my front door.
I suppose if your in the south of Sweden you'll be about the same latitude as here. Amazing the difference in weather though.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Cowsham wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 8:12pm

I suppose if your in the south of Sweden you'll be about the same latitude as here. Amazing the difference in weather though.
We're exactly the same latitude as Aviemore. But compared to Aviemore, only 40% of the rain, 90% more sunshine, 6 degrees hotter in summer and 4 degrees colder in winter. A much more continental climate.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 8:32pm
Cowsham wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 8:12pm

We're exactly the same latitude as Aviemore. But compared to Aviemore, only 40% of the rain, 90% more sunshine, 6 degrees hotter in summer and 4 degrees colder in winter. A much more continental climate.
I'll get a flight booked to Växjö
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 3:48pm

I woke at 06:00 this morning to hear rain.
Drizzled and poured it down on and off all day, and still drizzling now at 15:45.
We seem to be in a dry spell today and tomorrow, and perhaps Sunday too.
I'm off out to see if I can get the lawnmower started! If I can, I'll be cutting grass for the next couple of hours.

Wish me luck!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've managed just short of an hour. :oops:

I've broken the back of the job, but it still needs more work. The Stiga mower took one heck of a lot of pulls to get it going. I nearly gave up! The grass in places was thick and maybe 7 or 8 inches. Most wasn't as bad as that, but still hard work mainly due to the slope.
Mick F. Cornwall