How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: How's your weather?

Post by al_yrpal »

I didnt move to the land of cider and cheddar for this! Massive flakes alternating with drizzle!

Al
The garden
The garden
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 10:02am I didnt move to the land of cider and cheddar for this! Massive flakes alternating with drizzle!

Al

IMG20230308082751.jpg
One often feels that Texas would suit you more. :-)

Mind, my online acquaintance in Texas has regaled me over the last couple of years with stories of ice storms (including zero lecky or up-charging to a hundred dollars or so a watt-hour due to shortages), heatwaves & fires, tornadoes and hurricane blasts! And let us not forget the squalls of gun-toting loons that may fall on anyone at any time.

But think of all the free speech you could utter! And the delicious chlorinated chucks to chaw on. :-)

Cugel, with a liking for British weather of all kinds as long as the roof doesn't blow off.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

al_yrpal wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 10:02am I didnt move to the land of cider and cheddar for this! Massive flakes alternating with drizzle!

Al

IMG20230308082751.jpg
It looked like that this morning here on the Rutland border, but in the time it's taken me to do thenp ironing (what a life of thrills and excitement, eh?) It's all melted. Still very chilly in the North wind.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland I managed to get the first cut off the grass ( about 3/4 of an acre ) freezing but cuts nice cold.
I am here. Where are you?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Unreliable time of year, early March.

I define the start of spring, and the beginning of cycling without having to dress in full winter gear, by when my plum tree blossoms, and that varies by as much as a month.

Recent years:

2017 March 20
2018 April 20 (March was really evilly cold with “beast from the east” wind)
2019 March 20
2020 March 19 (running into that glorious weather during Lockdown 1)
2021 March 29
2022 March 20

Right now, it’s difficult to tell what it’s going to do this year, but a few buds are beginning to show the tiniest degree of opening.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 6:48pm Meanwhile in Northern Ireland I managed to get the first cut off the grass ( about 3/4 of an acre ) freezing but cuts nice cold.
Managed mine 3 weeks ago - I was wearing T shirt as I pushed the mower about.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cugel wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 1:03pm

Al

IMG20230308082751.jpg

Mind, my online acquaintance in Texas has regaled me over the last couple of years with stories of ice storms (including zero lecky or up-charging to a hundred dollars or so a watt-hour due to shortages), heatwaves & fires, tornadoes and hurricane blasts! And let us not forget the squalls of gun-toting loons that may fall on anyone at any time.

But think of all the free speech you could utter! And the delicious chlorinated chucks to chaw on. :-)

Cugel, with a liking for British weather of all kinds as long as the roof doesn't blow off.
I will probably have to make do with Maine in the summer. To see old friends.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

4 inches of snow from a few days back, and we've got minus 21c here this morning. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+10degC this morning.
Damp and drizzle earlier.

We had a bit of frost a week ago, but that only lasted one night. It's been generally 7, 8, 9 degs for the last couple of weeks.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Actually got snow on the ground (and the roof).
Don't think I'll bother clearing the panels today though - the sky is pretty dull, and likely to remain so all day.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

This was first thing when it was about minus 20.

It's now 12:30 and it's plus 2c. A 23c swing in 6hrs!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 9:14pm
Cugel wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 1:03pm

Al

IMG20230308082751.jpg

I will probably have to make do with Maine in the summer. To see old friends.

Al
I haf reported you to the fuel-waster monitoring polis for burning too much aero-fuel just to see a mate. Expect a swinging great fine! :-)

Cugel, snitching for Britain.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We had about 8 inches of snow on our car roof overnight. I've quoted that because the car roof isn't affected by drifting. Thirdcrank towers is about a mile from J27 of the M62 and a tad lower. It seems conditions were bad on the M62 overnight, with some people reportedly stuck for several hours
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Horizontal rain here. There'll be bits of trees all over tomorrow.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Quite heavy snow early a.m. then .... glorious sunshine and all traces of yesterday's and today's snow just gone!