How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

Re: How's your weather?

Post by PedallingSquares »

All 5 riders on a CC ride on NYD ended up on the deck.Sheet black ice across entire road.Wouldn't have thought it as temps have been well above freezing lately.
Someone local told them it had been like it for at least a week.Strange I thought.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hope all were OK
I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

PedallingSquares wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 11:56pm All 5 riders on a CC ride on NYD ended up on the deck.Sheet black ice across entire road.Wouldn't have thought it as temps have been well above freezing lately.
Someone local told them it had been like it for at least a week.Strange I thought.
Happened to me as I rode in a group of three once. The two in front went down and I had to lay the bike down to avoid riding over one of them. I had some spectacular bruises. Which part of the UK was this?
PedallingSquares

Just outside a village called Cridling Stubs, East of Pontefract on the West/North Yorkshire border.It's flat with some narrow roads with high hedges so possibly low Winter Sun doesn't hit that stretch of tarmac.
Cowsham wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 12:49am Hope all were OK
Just shocked I think but no broken bones or bikes!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PedallingSquares wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 12:16pm Just outside a village called Cridling Stubs, East of Pontefract on the West/North Yorkshire border.It's flat with some narrow roads with high hedges so possibly low Winter Sun doesn't hit that stretch of tarmac.
Cowsham wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 12:49am Hope all were OK
Just shocked I think but no broken bones or bikes!

That's good to hear. Cridling Stubs is that when your taking corners too hard in the car.
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's the wet season on the Somerset levels. I'm having to carefully pick my routes to avoid getting wet feet. 3 roads out of the village have had their flood gates closed forcing all traffic onto the one remaining open. Some pics in BBC news link.

Heavy rainfall leaves Somerset Levels severely flooded - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-64153653

This is the closed road on Curry Moor heading to the river Tone on New year's Day. Plenty of rubber neckers me included walking down to view the flooding. Lots of twitchers too.
IMG-20230102-WA0000.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PedallingSquares

Cowsham wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 1:03pm That's good to hear. Cridling Stubs is that when your taking corners too hard in the car.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One of the many odd/strange village names on this Island.There's also a Walden Stubbs a few miles away.It seems Cridling was Criding until a couple of hundred years ago.Criding being a local surname.Stubbs means a clearing where stumps were left.So Stumps near Criding(family?) and Stumps near Walden(family?) became Cridling Stubbs and Walden Stubbs.
Got to love a bit of British history.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Last Friday It stopped raining for about 6 hours -- I got out on my bike.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cowsham wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 9:08am Last Friday It stopped raining for about 6 hours -- I got out on my bike.
You should be so lucky. :roll:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 10:52am
Cowsham wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 9:08am Last Friday It stopped raining for about 6 hours -- I got out on my bike.
You should be so lucky. :roll:
'Round here, the constant rain has also been horizontal. The worst thing is, as I sit here typing pugles & hooterings into this keyboard 'cos I daren't go out in the sturm und drang without a large collie to hold me down in the wind, the solar panel monitor shows but 25 watts of production! I may have to sue the weatherman for loss of free electricity.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Cugel wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 12:55pm 'Round here, the constant rain has also been horizontal. The worst thing is, as I sit here typing pugles & hooterings into this keyboard 'cos I daren't go out in the sturm und drang without a large collie to hold me down in the wind, the solar panel monitor shows but 25 watts of production! I may have to sue the weatherman for loss of free electricity.

Cugel

While working out where and how high to position the wind turbine :mrgreen:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Well I suppose all those reservoirs that nearly emptied last summer are filling back up...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PedallingSquares

simonineaston wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 2:50pm Well I suppose all those reservoirs that nearly emptied last summer are filling back up...
Hull pot on the way up Pen-y-ghent in the Yorkshire Dales has filled up!The waterfall only appears after rain but this is unusual!

https://the-yorkshireman.com/hull-pot-full/
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Biospace wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 2:48pm
Cugel wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 12:55pm 'Round here, the constant rain has also been horizontal. The worst thing is, as I sit here typing pugles & hooterings into this keyboard 'cos I daren't go out in the sturm und drang without a large collie to hold me down in the wind, the solar panel monitor shows but 25 watts of production! I may have to sue the weatherman for loss of free electricity.

Cugel

While working out where and how high to position the wind turbine :mrgreen:
Perhaps a move to Horton in Ribblesdale would help. That Hull Pot waterfall would surely generate some fine watt-hours via hydro-electric gubbins. Also, it would make it easier to practice for The Three Peaks. (No, not me, now).

Pen Y Ghent was a favourite walk and occasionally a bike ride, until we moved to Wales. The cafe at Horton is a fine old-fashioned spot. Pints of tea and so forth.

I once shared a house with another ex-student (in our early twenties) who took up cave diving, with an aqualung! He tried to get me to go down places like that Hull Pot. Oh no, no, no!

He survived, somehow, with awful tales to tell of near watery graves far below in the pitch black crawl holes, caked in mud-slime and the rain due. Eyewwww!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 2:50pm Well I suppose all those reservoirs that nearly emptied last summer are filling back up...
The Rivington system of reserviors(Lancs) is now,thankfully,back to full Winter levels after a Summer of the lowest levlels I've ever seen in the 50odd years I've been walking and riding up there.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden