How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
De Sisti

Re: How's your weather?

Post by De Sisti »

There has been a nagging north-easterly breeze due to the high pressure over the UK
for the past couple of weeks. It has taken the edge off the temperatures.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We are living in an area with lots of trees, not forests but many stands of trees and along the side of the roads. I know trees don't live for ever but the number of lifeless trees around has increased. Even some oaks have given up.

We've lost trees in our garden from the dryness and searing heat. I wonder if this is another worry to add to all the others from climate change?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m more than fed-up with a combination of dense, low cloud and a really annoying chilly NE wind.

By this time of year, we should be able to go out on rides where it’s a simple pleasure to be outside for hours at a time, all day in fact, trundling along at a leisurely pace, stopping to look at interesting things, having lunch under a tree in the woods etc. But, this weather makes it feel more like February of March, when I personally keep rides fairly focused, a couple of hours, cafe stop, a couple of hours back, and outdoor lingering isn’t really part of the plan.

Trees? Very definitely some of our traditional species are struggling to cope with the emerging new normal, so I guess we’ll see fewer of them over time, and more of whatever trees grow where the climate is less temperate. Ditto other plants, and animals from bugs upwards.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Strangely, that north-east wind is also present here in west Cornwall and is bringing the temperature difference between full-sun and shade to a level that makes dressing appropriately a bit difficult. Ironically I was in Yorkshire last week and that breeze was absent making for perfect cycling and walking conditions - and we made the best of it. :D :D
36F4A0A3-3C41-41D9-9078-3847344D7128.jpeg
Naturally, the feed stop was to refuel for a ride. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

bringing the temperature difference between full-sun and shade to a level that makes dressing appropriately a bit difficult
Funny you should say that. Last Friday we had an afternoon without low, grey cloud, and I went for a short, but fairly lumpy ride, during which I’m sure I was too hot, and too cold, both at the same time.

When the clouds are present, it’s simple: it’s cold.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
North Cornwall coast is probably the worst place in the south west including Devon to live for windy and cold in high summer :!:
I had to wear an overcoat last time I was there in July.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
"peetee" to much information in your attached pics :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:17pm Hi,
"peetee" to much information in your attached pics :P
Sadly, the cream tea didn’t have much time to enjoy the view of Robin Hoods Bay from the Raven Hall Hotel.
Note the inclusion of Rodda’s clotted finest. Made a veritable stones-throw away from where I type this message.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:03am
bringing the temperature difference between full-sun and shade to a level that makes dressing appropriately a bit difficult
Funny you should say that. Last Friday we had an afternoon without low, grey cloud, and I went for a short, but fairly lumpy ride, during which I’m sure I was too hot, and too cold, both at the same time.
The worst example of that I’ve experienced was not purely weather-related. I endured several days of fog on holiday in north Devon and when the sun broke it was a beautiful warm day and I went for a dip in the sea. I was a skinny youth back then and endured the startlingly different temperature for a few mins then flaked out on the sunny beach shivering for England, as it were. For the next twenty minutes or so I endured the disturbing sensation of being bitterly cold on the inside and toasting hot on the outside. Not something I would voluntarily repeat.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We've had the best few weeks of weather I can remember -- I sort of remember 1976 hosepipe bans etc but this is great coming up to the longest day an all -- fabulous.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Warm weather starting to bite in West Lanc's.... a horsefly bite through an arm warmer yesterday, I often get large reaction from insect bites.
P1170495 (2).JPG
Lovely cycling weather though, can't complain too much.
P1170492 (2).JPG
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

10:30 this morning.
23degC in the livingroom, and 20degC outside (north facing wall)

It's 24/24 as per now at 15:04
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

colin54 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 10:21am Warm weather starting to bite in West Lanc's.... a horsefly bite through an arm warmer yesterday, I often get large reaction from insect bites.
What do you use to calm it down?

2015 I had a couple of bad bites on the arm in Laxey village which has rivers and trees so should've known better.
Nothing more annoying. Itchy, sore and keeps you awake at night. Mine lasted about 4 days -- used Germolene Antiseptic Cream at the time but found better stuff eventually.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cowsham wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 8:10pm
colin54 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 10:21am Warm weather starting to bite in West Lanc's.... a horsefly bite through an arm warmer yesterday, I often get large reaction from insect bites.
What do you use to calm it down?
I've never found anything that seems to work, I took a Piriton allergy tablet and put some Anthisan cream on the affected area yesterday, but it's still sore and possibly more inflamed today. I'll get fluid filled bites from mossies etc soon as well I expect, I seem to react to all of the biting insects.
Just the joys of summer.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS Advice: "Insect bites and stings":
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/insect-bites-and-stings/

Jonathan