How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Mick F »

Melanomas?
No, and I don't see any at all.
I have very few freckles either.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

20miles this morning. Left at 9am and home just before 11am.
21degC when I left, and 26degC when I got home.
Took the dog a 2mile walk, and called in at The Rising Sun to cool off.
28degC out there now - 14:50 as I type.
Washing line is full, and the stuff is drying quickly.

I understand that in Scotland it's chucking it down, and in the SE of England it's 30+odd degC and even hotter on the continent.

Supposedly thunderstorms tomorrow, but the barometer dial is still 1019mb here.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Raining most of the day here -- but what's new?
I am here. Where are you?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well it's a balmy 14 point something here in South Devon At the moment :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

17degC and cloudy with a gentle breeze at the mo.

Part of yesterday's ride was through Tavistock. I was hot and sat down on a bench in the shade, and at the other end of the bench was a sweet old lady. We chatted about this and that, and the weather and the hot sunshine in the cloudless sky.

I mentioned that my thermometer was reading 25degC ................. as I was in the shade, it had dropped a bit.
She didn't really understand centrigrade, so I said she had to multiply by nine, divide by five and add 32! She looked at me with a wry smile! :D

I went to Settings on my Garmin and changed the temp readout to Fahrenheit and told her it was 77degF. We discussed that people are very happy with Celsius for cold - zero, minus one etc etc, but we all (of a certain age) prefer to hear Fahrenheit for the hot temps.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 9:08amWe discussed that people are very happy with Celsius for cold - zero, minus one etc etc, but we all (of a certain age) prefer to hear Fahrenheit for the hot temps.
Not "all". On this morning's walk my companion and I, both born in the early 1950s, agreed that we preferred weather temperatures in Celsius, and had done for several decades.

Jonathan

PS: This website supports the degree symbol, as discussed upthread:
viewtopic.php?p=1661481#p1661481
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

How’s our weather?

Confusing.

Yesterday: 33 degrees, belting sun, hot southerly wind.

Today: 13 degrees, rain alternating heavy-light-drizzly-heavy, chilly North westerly wind.

Naturally, today my son and I are outdoors all day at a very prolonged football tournament!

Still, it’ll be fun to be able to make snowmen tomorrow.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

After the eye watering gas bill the Aga was going off but it hasnt

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We let our Stanley solid fuel cooker in the kitchen go out a couple of days ago. We had to switch on the immersion heater (electric!) this morning as the "hot" water was only tepid and the kettle on the "Hot Plate" was cold.
When we boil the electric kettle normally, we fill it from the kettle on top of the Stanley and it boils almost within seconds. Today, we had to fill it from the cold tap! :shock:

Still not re-lit it, but I've lit the woodburner in the living room this afternoon and we will have enough hot water for a few days with it. Massive back boiler :D ................... and all fuelled by logs from our own woodland.

Nice and cosy here in the living room now, and Mrs Mick F will be having a hot power-shower later.

21degC outside, but quite breezy and very overcast.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

35.5°C at 16:20. Hoping that that's the peak for today. We're due a let-up on Monday so of course there are thunderstorms on the menu - in fact, for next week we either have >30°C or storms. I don't like riding when there's lightning about.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chucking it down now.
Possible lighting strikes so disconnected the router and the landline phone as we’ve had many a device blown up because we are fed by over head wires. Posting on here using mobile signal.

Lighting strike recently in Plymouth and we heard the thunder.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

We are going out to an evening outdoor picnic and concert shortly on the Somerset levels. We have just been issued with a weather warning for Thunder and Lightning for Somerset. I've heard a few rumbles in the distance too. If I don't post again you will all know why. :shock:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/wa ... 2022-06-18
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is a good website.
http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m ... ;dl=2;dc=0;
Scroll to your location.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Getting on towards three years living here in the far southwest and we have just had the first thunderstorm since I moved here.
I like thunderstorms. Been within several feet of a strike on two occasions so I reckon I don’t have a lot to worry about......
But I think I said that after the first near miss too! :lol:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

peetee wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 7:30pm Getting on towards three years living here in the far southwest and we have just had the first thunderstorm since I moved here.
I like thunderstorms. Been within several feet of a strike on two occasions so I reckon I don’t have a lot to worry about......
But I think I said that after the first near miss too! :lol:
Perhaps, like the ticket collector who pocketed the fares, you are a bad conductor.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?