How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kylecycler

Re: How's your weather?

Post by kylecycler »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 10:31am I always wear shorts (don't have any appropriate longs).

Ian
I've got an old pal who wears shorts all year round. Short shorts, too - he gets them taken up - buys them at TK Max then takes them to a seamstress and she takes them up.

She'll say, "How far do you want them taken up?" and he'll say, "As far as possible." Every time. I think he's got some kind of fetish about his legs.

I like these long cargo shorts that come down to half way between the knees and the ankles - need to buy a new pair, haven't worn them for a while now. When you cycle for transport, long trousers are a pain - always having to tuck them into my socks - never found trouser clips work very well.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Our weather's been orange today.
Dust from the Sahara.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 11:15pm Our weather's been orange today.
Dust from the Sahara.
The future's bright (maybe), the future's... Oh, never mind. :|
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Weathers been spring like last few days in south devon.
Went for a walk down the beach......................I was driving so the car is parked on the prom.....water is spraying in the air, from easterly.
Come back an hour later and waves are washing on the pavement some 20 metres from beach wall and car is getting a well deserved wash :lol:

Edited- well not waves washing but a heavy soaking from the spay..
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Weather (wind) warnings for days .................. no real strong winds here .....................but the last couple of days it's been blowing a hooligan, but no wind warnings at all! :shock:

Glorious sunshine and clear blue skies, but chilly in that there wind.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Been glorious here today but had to sit in the garden, went out yesterday did 60 miles but blew up big time at 45 miles.
Clocks forward next weekend and the evening rides will be back on the agenda.
I'll be taking the Mrs out and calling in at the pleasure field!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 5:40pm Weather (wind) warnings for days .................. no real strong winds here .....................but the last couple of days it's been blowing a hooligan, but no wind warnings at all! :shock:

Yesterday evening was weird in Ayrshire - it had been a beautiful day and fairly calm, then a big wind got up in the evening, still without a cloud in the sky. I'd meant to cycle to the shops during the day but was doing other stuff so I went in the evening - absolutely flew down, which is unusual - 'down' to the town is west so I'm almost always downhill except into the prevailing wind, so it must have been an easterly wind last night. It was a hard slog home, though - uphill, laden - against a fierce headwind. Wind's away again today though.
rjb

Post by rjb »

philvantwo wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 6:07pm Clocks forward next weekend and the evening rides will be back on the agenda.
I read that the clocks have sprung forward in the USA and will be staying there, following the passing of the "Sunshine protection act" The EU are also considering doing this soon. Should we be following suit. What does Ms Nicola think about this. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 6:41pm
Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 5:40pm Weather (wind) warnings for days .................. no real strong winds here .....................but the last couple of days it's been blowing a hooligan, but no wind warnings at all! :shock:

Yesterday evening was weird in Ayrshire - it had been a beautiful day and fairly calm, then a big wind got up in the evening, still without a cloud in the sky. I'd meant to cycle to the shops during the day but was doing other stuff so I went in the evening - absolutely flew down, which is unusual - 'down' to the town is west so I'm almost always downhill except into the prevailing wind, so it must have been an easterly wind last night. It was a hard slog home, though - uphill, laden - against a fierce headwind. Wind's away again today though.
Same here -- unusual wind direction but pleasantly mild -- not hot like that tropical place called Scotland.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

rjb wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 8:01pm
philvantwo wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 6:07pm Clocks forward next weekend and the evening rides will be back on the agenda.
I read that the clocks have sprung forward in the USA and will be staying there, following the passing of the "Sunshine protection act" The EU are also considering doing this soon. Should we be following suit. What does Ms Nicola think about this. :shock:
I remember this being tried in the 70's here. Walking to school in the dark was a novelty.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have lots of threads and discussions regarding clocks moving.
My feeling is to move them half and hour and forget it.

Europe are east of here and the sun rises and sets earlier than here in the west ......... and far west.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 5:41pmEurope are east of here and the sun rises and sets earlier than here in the west ......... and far west.
Europe (sic) are east, west, south and north of the UK.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Balmy weather at the moment :)
B6BC9A3B-AF0C-4730-BBC2-5465C88FA192.png
1F89B198-FB8E-462D-8107-059F9D6236E8.jpeg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 5:45pm
Europe (sic) are east, west, south and north of the UK.
Goodness! we are surrounded and beseiged - any chance we might get annexed ?
No pasaran
rjb

Post by rjb »

It makes sense to keep one time zone instead of moving the clocks backwards and forwards with all the confusion that causes. If children going to school in the dark is an issue then alter the school day to start an hour later. 10am instead of 9am :wink:
The 3 year trial we had in 1968 concluded that accidents increased on the darker mornings but decreased on the lighter evenings and the overall statistic was that deaths decreased by almost 3000 in the first 2 years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11643098
Whats not to like.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D