What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mattheus

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by mattheus »

Cugel wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 1:03pm ... and never shot a few thousand grouse for no reason or milked rents from folk working hard to pay them just so the corgis could eat pate de foie gras whilst their owner dolled about in a crown and loadsa jewels!
Seems like that anti-monarchy fantasy land has more than one citizen.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI George V was the most active shooter of game and "big" game
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 1:21pm
Cugel wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 1:03pm ... and never shot a few thousand grouse for no reason or milked rents from folk working hard to pay them just so the corgis could eat pate de foie gras whilst their owner dolled about in a crown and loadsa jewels!
Seems like that anti-monarchy fantasy land has more than one citizen.
I should imagine that there's millions and millions of the beggars!

Now, as you will appreciate, when sufficient humans get up a shared mental construct of some kind, they then employ our human ability to render what used to be an imaginative fantasy into a new reality! Even when the reality is based on entirely metaphysical constructs (the notion of monarchy, money and God are good examples) we humans will create hard physical stuff, along with enforced modes of behaviour, to bolster the mere mind imaginings.

Before you know it there could be a president, a republic and a guillotine; or maybe just a small palace in some tiny far-away principality in the depths of Southern Europe, along with a stipend of £100,000 per annum rather than the previous million every few minutes.

Cugel, amateur anthropologist grade D7.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have started to watch the Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney Plus. I’m not sure I’m going to continue; it is a bit thin on quality content.
One thing did amuse me, though. In one scene Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan) is walking through a chemistry lab full of test equipment containing bubbling, colourful liquids and oozing gasses. With this can be heard a gentle rhythmic gurgling sound. I have watched a fair few sci-fi movies in my time and have only heard this particular sound once before in a film called The Man In The White Suit. It’s leading performer was Alec Ginness who also played Obi-Wan in the original Star Wars films.
Nods to previous productions are often included in films these days and granted, this is a subtle one, arguably just a coincidence, but I’m convinced and it did make me laugh out loud as that old Ealing Comedy is a favourite of mine.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cugel wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 1:32pm
Before you know it there could be a president, a republic and a guillotine;
Is that something you see as desirable?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:48am
Cugel wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 1:32pm
Before you know it there could be a president, a republic and a guillotine;
Is that something you see as desirable?
Well, I confess I'd like to build one, just for the woodworking challenges. (I'd farm-out the metalwork). However, I'm too much of a softlad to use it on anything but a scarecrow with a turnip head. Are you acquainted with any such fellows? :-)

If it's queenie you're worried about, have no fear. I would support her move to a nice little palace somewhere along the north Mediterranean coast, inclusive of that £100,000 per year award and maybe a bit extra for the corgis. Mind, I'd generate the £100,000 by gaoling Bokum and making him sew ever so many mailbags per day.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

IMG-20220611-WA0001.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 12:12pm IMG-20220611-WA0001.jpg
Please sir! I know, I know!

Get the man to fear bogeymen of many ilks & tittles, so that he becomes grateful for his bolt hole in a MacJob. Employ the services of lying blackguards and their scare 'em media organs. Double down and employ a scare 'em blackguard media-organ liar as Prime Minister, who will divert the wage slaves back to bogeymen thoughts should they notice that they can no longer afford to eat or keep warm. (It will help if he's also a guttersnipe).

As an added motive, promise the frightened wage slaves that things are going to return to the conditions pertaining in 1957, when everything was golden and a fellow could be as prejudiced as he liked towards various handy scapegoats and pariahs, without anyone making so much as a tutting sound, as the supposed bogeys were beaten, spat at and refused facilities other than the worst to be found in various slums & ghettoes.

Cugel

PS Could I get a job as an advisor to A Tory ghark, or even to one of the hoos?
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 1:40pm
Please sir! I know, I know!

Get the man to fear bogeymen of many ilks & tittles, so that he becomes grateful for his bolt hole in a MacJob. Employ the services of lying blackguards and their scare 'em media organs. Double down and employ a scare 'em blackguard media-organ liar as Prime Minister, who will divert the wage slaves back to bogeymen thoughts should they notice that they can no longer afford to eat or keep warm. (It will help if he's also a guttersnipe).

As an added motive, promise the frightened wage slaves that things are going to return to the conditions pertaining in 1957, when everything was golden and a fellow could be as prejudiced as he liked towards various handy scapegoats and pariahs, without anyone making so much as a tutting sound, as the supposed bogeys were beaten, spat at and refused facilities other than the worst to be found in various slums & ghettoes.

Cugel

PS Could I get a job as an advisor to A Tory ghark, or even to one of the hoos?
The fifties - has anything really changed since the thirties - this https://genius.com/John-steinbeck-chapt ... -annotated
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Self declared rich folk desperately virtue signalling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 7:47pm Self declared rich folk desperately virtue signalling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
I doubt there's anyone rich on here except maybe you AL. Always telling us what a big, successful business man you were.
You also need to read this https://www.ft.com/content/cf4d3d5c-712 ... eb837566c5
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

it
al_yrpal wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 7:47pm Self declared rich folk desperately virtue signalling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
I seem to remember that you do a bit of virtue signalling yourself, which you have boasted about here.
I am not invlined to sneer at Carnegie Libraries or Nuffield hospitals (in one of which I have been treated).
Our modern philanthropists like Gates have done good things too, and this is not risible.
I would prefer it if some of these could be financed by fairer taxation, but it is better that at least some of the rich do not spaff all their money on conspicuous consumption.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

By clocking out at the end of the day and going cycling then having the time to post about it here.
I am here. Where are you?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

For some time,there's been very little on this thread to make me laugh - or even smile.
Quite the opposite.
Perhaps a suitably titled thread would be better for all this.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

JohnW wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 10:26pm For some time,there's been very little on this thread to make me laugh - or even smile.
Quite the opposite.
Perhaps a suitably titled thread would be better for all this.
In today's DisUK, one needs to cultivate an appetite for the dark humour; laughing in the face of tragedies and degradations of various hues; chuckling incredulously at the slow demise of our civilisation at the hands of clowns .... as otherwise we'd cry, nay, weep, wail and go mad!

Humour has often been about human hubris laid thinly over our inept and inadequate antics, along with the subsequent pratfalls. We are now living in conditions of utter farce, so .......

Cugel, thinking life is but a (cruel) joke.
John Maynard Keynes