What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Cowsham »

I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

You may laugh, but a couple of evenings back I remarked to my wife that I was getting too hot with our whippet flopped around the back of my neck as I sat on the sofa. The whippet likes doing that, and she does make me feel a lot warmer when she does it.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hellhound wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:07am
mattheus wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:33am
Hellhound wrote: 3 Jan 2022, 9:19pm I never found M&W funny in their heyday and their 'comedy' has not aged well at all.
How would you know?
How would you know what?
How would you know that it has not aged well (if you never found it funny)?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

mattheus wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:19am
mattheus wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:33am How would you know?
How would you know what?
Strange question.A lot of 'comedy' from their era has not aged well whether 'funny' or not.OK I'll put it another way.It was not funny then and it is not funny to the point of being a bit cringe worthy now.Some things are 'of their time' and M&W etc certainly are.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hellhound wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 11:34am
How would you know what?
Strange question.A lot of 'comedy' from their era has not aged well whether 'funny' or not.OK I'll put it another way.It was not funny then and it is not funny to the point of being a bit cringe worthy now. Some things are 'of their time' and M&W etc certainly are.
Are you using "of their time" in a pejorative way. That's my inferrence.
I think you mean you don't see comedy like that now. You not finding it funny (ever) is likely to influence your judgement over something being "a bit cringe worthy" now. Sounds like your subjective view, with no concrete basis (e.g. out-of-date racism)

Plenty of things have died out and/or become unfashionable. Doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable. Love a bit of Tom Lehrer! Beatles songs too - very "of their time", but many are brilliant :)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mattheus wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
Strange question.A lot of 'comedy' from their era has not aged well whether 'funny' or not.OK I'll put it another way.It was not funny then and it is not funny to the point of being a bit cringe worthy now. Some things are 'of their time' and M&W etc certainly are.
I think you mean you don't see comedy like that now. You not finding it funny (ever) is likely to influence your judgement over something being "a bit cringe worthy" now. Sounds like your subjective view, with no concrete basis (e.g. out-of-date racism)

Plenty of things have died out and/or become unfashionable. Doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable. Love a bit of Tom Lehrer! Beatles songs too - very "of their time", but many are brilliant :)
Surely all judgements (opinions) as to whether or not something is funny or cringe worthy are subjective and don't need a concrete basis.
Richard M
Cardiff
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

richardfm wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 5:12pm

Surely all judgements (opinions) as to whether or not something is funny or cringe worthy are subjective and don't need a concrete basis.
Here's an e.g.
"I think X is utter bobbins. Even though I've never read any"
How would you rate that review?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

How would you know what?
Strange question.A lot of 'comedy' from their era has not aged well whether 'funny' or not.OK I'll put it another way.It was not funny then and it is not funny to the point of being a bit cringe worthy now.Some things are 'of their time' and M&W etc certainly are.
Saw the sketch they did with Shirley Bassey the other night on that tribute to Shirley B show and I think I found it funnier now than I did at the time it came out. Especially the bit where the stage hands were trying to keep the bottle of wine from crashing to the floor. Each time it slid they crept a little closer and each time it stopped they stopped.
I am here. Where are you?
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mattheus wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 7:33pm
richardfm wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 5:12pm

Here's an e.g.
"I think X is utter bobbins. Even though I've never read any"
How would you rate that review?
What's that got to do with anything?
Richard M
Cardiff
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

richardfm wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:41pm What's that got to do with anything?
I don't think you're making much effort to follow the discussion, I'm not writing in Swahili.

Never mind, it's only a comedy double act under debate, not anything significant like Di2. And clearly lots of people get a lot of pleasure from them e.g.
Cowsham wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 8:50pm Saw the sketch they did with Shirley Bassey the other night on that tribute to Shirley B show and I think I found it funnier now than I did at the time it came out. Especially the bit where the stage hands were trying to keep the bottle of wine from crashing to the floor. Each time it slid they crept a little closer and each time it stopped they stopped.

:D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Comedy like music can be personal taste,but generally if the majority like it,it/they become famous as a result(all things being equal) because most people like them/it.
Laural and Hardy was mentioned up thread,personally I've never found them that funny,Bill Bailey OTOH I find hilarious,but that's just my taste.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Laughing at Boris pretending to apologise. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 5:30pm Comedy like music can be personal taste,but generally if the majority like it,it/they become famous as a result(all things being equal) because most people like them/it.
Laural and Hardy was mentioned up thread,personally I've never found them that funny,Bill Bailey OTOH I find hilarious,but that's just my taste.
For me Laurel & Hardy are OK in small doses. One of my favourites is Bill's lesser known Kraftwerk song. (Although shocked to realise that the clip is now 10 years old!)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Rick
Me too :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

IMG_20220114_092950_140.jpg