What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Carlton green »

JohnW wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 12:15pm
Cowsham wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 10:45am
Debs wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:17am Image
Hitler wouldn't have liked Jesus.
Why is all this funny?
It’s satire or dry humour. I smiled, but what else can you do when you see some of the stupidity that goes on in the World …
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 1:43pm

Why is all this funny?
It’s satire or dry humour. I smiled, but what else can you do when you see some of the stupidity that goes on in the World …
Thank you Carlton.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:17am Image
Why is all this funny?
Don't know -- Debs is usually funny but twitter is the wrong place to look for funny ( well if you mean funny learning difficulties ) you'll find plenty of twits on twitter that's where they go.

Jesus was a Jew and loved Hitler so I suppose that's something they both had in common.
I am here. Where are you?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cowsham wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:10pm

Why is all this funny?
Don't know -- Debs is usually funny but twitter is the wrong place to look for funny ( well if you mean funny learning difficulties ) you'll find plenty of twits on twitter that's where they go.

Jesus was a Jew and loved Hitler so I suppose that's something they both had in common.
I don't do twitter or facebook, never have done.
The funny joke didn't come from there.
I can well imagine any people who are gun-loving Nationalists, who oppose abortion, immigration, labour unions, gay rights, and communists will not find the joke funny.
Although, at least that fact makes the joke even funnier. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

JohnW wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 1:15pm
mattheus wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 12:54pm

Why is all this funny?
It's not: it's politics (or Politics, I'm not sure)
Well - according to the thread title, it's made someone laugh today. :? :( :shock: :cry: :roll:
I could post something insulting gay people, or calling women stupid, and I'm sure someone would laugh. They'd probably have the wisdom not to post to that effect, mind ... )

As it happens I'm fully behind the sentiment of Debs' post, but it's not funny. Satire? Quite possibly. Humour - dry or otherwise - not really.
Sadly most forum moderators allow almost unlimited politics to invade these sort of threads, but IMO they should be quarantined, like my beloved h*lm*t discussions.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" - goes the saying. I'd go further, and state that sarcasm is very rarely funny. Although when you agree with the statement, it's funny how your view can change ...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:30pm

Why is all this funny?

I can well imagine any people who are gun-loving Nationalists, who oppose abortion, immigration, labour unions, gay rights, and communists will not find the joke funny.
Although, at least that fact makes the joke even funnier. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I've heard Hitler was a veggie so that's another group that would need to be included.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs
IMHO it was a funny joke,them that don't find it funny,don't find it funny,end of,that's their opinion.

If everyone only ever laughed at the same thing then humour would be a narrow avenue outside of which would be dull,humour has a wide spectrum thankfully :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Why is all this funny?

So you're imagining, we that don't find it funny, are people who are gun-loving Nationalists, who oppose abortion, immigration, labour unions, gay rights, and communists.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnFugelsan ... 5597089793
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mattheus wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:31pm "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" - goes the saying. I'd go further, and state that sarcasm is very rarely funny. Although when you agree with the statement, it's funny how your view can change ...
Mr. Wilde went further too. The entire quotation is "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence". Of course, he might have been being sarcastic. In any case, it's only funny if you can enjoy the injury inflicted on the target.

Interestingly (probably not) it's one of those quotations that is usually chopped off half-way along, a bit like "My country, right or wrong". I wonder if that's because people find the second half unpalatable, or because they don't understand it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:58am
mattheus wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:31pm "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" - goes the saying. I'd go further, and state that sarcasm is very rarely funny. Although when you agree with the statement, it's funny how your view can change ...
Mr. Wilde went further too. The entire quotation is "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence". Of course, he might have been being sarcastic. In any case, it's only funny if you can enjoy the injury inflicted on the target.

Interestingly (probably not) it's one of those quotations that is usually chopped off half-way along, a bit like "My country, right or wrong". I wonder if that's because people find the second half unpalatable, or because they don't understand it.
Who gets to define which words must form "the quotation"?
Perhaps folks think the first bit is great, the rest a bit dull?

(In this case I either don't understand Wilde's 2nd point, or I totally disagree with him. But the first bit works very well for me - despite being a more sarcastic person than average!)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mattheus wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 10:30am

Usually those who haven't the processing power to consider two clauses of a sentence at once - or those who edit quotations to suit their purpose.

The second bit requires thought, so most people will find it a bit dull. Good sarcasm does require quick wits, though. This from Johnny Hart's B.C.

Peter: This is Curls, master of sarcastic humour.
BC: Hi. Say something sarcastic.
Curls: I'm pleased to meet you.

That's better than I could ever manage.
(In this case I either don't understand Wilde's 2nd point, or I totally disagree with him. But the first bit works very well for me - despite being a more sarcastic person than average!)
I'm still thinking about the second bit. For me, the highest form of intelligence is being able to handle more than four levels of indirection, but I guess Wilde wasn't into computers.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Discovered my cat eats bran flakes.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 11:30am
mattheus wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 10:30am

Usually those who haven't the processing power to consider two clauses of a sentence at once - or those who edit quotations to suit their purpose.

The second bit requires thought, so most people will find it a bit dull.
But ... surely a quotation is oft improved by shortening, as brevity is the soul of wit ;-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 12:15pm Discovered my cat eats bran flakes.
We have one who likes toast - buttered or dry.
She'll climb onto the bird table and eat the stale breadcrumbs.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 3:11pm
Cowsham wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 12:15pm Discovered my cat eats bran flakes.
We have one who likes toast - buttered or dry.
She'll climb onto the bird table and eat the stale breadcrumbs.
Knew a lady ( keen cyclist all her life -- in her late 70's now and still looks fit ) who's cat loves strawberries! My other cat would kill for a packet of crisps but those branflakes were dry??