What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Cowsham »

IMG_20220417_133948_022.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 12:48pm The wage gap isn’t real
Men just go for higher paying jobs like doctor, lawyer and CEO, whereas women pick lower paying jobs like female doctor, female lawyer, and female CEO.
'I am only the UK's sixth black female QC'
Nneka Akudolu was told she had little chance of becoming a barrister after getting pregnant in her second year of university, now she's a Queen's Counsel recognised for her excellence.

Ms Akudolu is only the sixth black female QC in the UK and has worked her way up to now deal with the most serious criminal cases - and is asking people to see the "possibilities beyond any obstacles"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... n-61101239

I'm unfamiliar with the numbers and a brief search didn't bring up a figure for the numbers of QCs. I'm unclear whether she's the sixth ever, or one of six currently active. I see this year's batch of promotions involved a hundred and one active lawyers and eight more honorary ones. I think around a hundred a year may be typical

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ancellor-1

Even she seems to be suggesting this is because people set their sites low, rather than the law not having equal opportunities.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 2:20pm IMG_20220417_133948_022.jpg
Brilliant!
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 3:42pmI'm unfamiliar with the numbers and a brief search didn't bring up a figure for the numbers of QCs. I'm unclear whether she's the sixth ever, or one of six currently active.
Sixth black female QC ever in the UK (though the seventh was also appointed in the same ceremony).
Last edited by DaveReading on 19 Apr 2022, 7:32am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

DaveReading wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 6:17pm
thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 3:42pmI'm unfamiliar with the numbers and a brief search didn't bring up a figure for the numbers of QCs. I'm unclear whether she's the sixth ever, or one of six currently active.
Sixth black QC ever in the UK (though the seventh was also appointed in the same ceremony).

Thanks for that. To be thread to needle, I presume she's the sixth black female QC ever.
RickH

Post by RickH »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 6:57pm
Sixth black QC ever in the UK (though the seventh was also appointed in the same ceremony).

Thanks for that. To be thread to needle, I presume she's the sixth black female QC ever.
Slightly out of date figures but as of December 2021
There are just 5 black British / black female barristers in the Queen's Counsel and 17 male black British / black QCs in England and Wales. This compares to 1,303 white men and 286 white women.
7 Dec 2021
(link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 6:57pm

Oops, yes, corrected.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Changing the subject completely but staying with the thread.
I had to laugh this morning when the lorry driver that negotiated our narrow, single track lane to deliver a large pallet of honey jars and lids couldn't unload because he'd forgotten the key to activate the lorry's tail-lift. He's now on the way back to the depot to get one. Muppets everywhere.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

This morning approaching home after a meet with some friends I realized I hadn't put the bin out and said to the wife " wonder if the bins have been collected yet? Bet I've missed them again " -- she pointed to the neighbors bin. The bottom of their bin had split and the puddens bursting out. -- " that answers that question then" :lol:
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Lambs in the fields. Don't know why they evolve into boring, grass easting machines - but having 5-6 lambs running alongside the fence to look at the bike, is a bit uplifting! And two, playing with an exciting turnip. Looked like they didn't know if it should be "nosed" along :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This one reminded me of the various driverless vehicle threads

Lorry stuck on narrow country lane near Wellington in Somerset
"I just couldn't believe it, why would such a huge vehicle try and get down such a tiny space", said Angela.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-61179935
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 10:20pm This one reminded me of the various driverless vehicle threads

"I just couldn't believe it, why would such a huge vehicle try and get down such a tiny space", said Angela.
Doesn't really surprise me cos when we travel over in England there's wee single track lanes they call roads -- it's sometimes difficult to know when your roads turn into lanes or what we'd call lanes. Over here a lane that width won't be part of the public highway.
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 10:20pm This one reminded me of the various driverless vehicle threads

These vehicles often do multi-pickups of single cars that have been sold via ‘we buy any car’ type traders. The driver was probably told the access was fine (and it was) but wasn’t given any info on how to get out afterwards. Having been a delivery driver myself it’s common to have many awkward routes and sometimes you got totally fed up of it, or rather, the system that allows it to happen and the pressure you are under to complete the job. It wouldn’t surprise me if some drivers just resign themselves to failure with that particular employer and just abandon the truck at the worst possible place for them to sort out the resultant mess.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry. I wasn't making any comment about how this happened, but rather the way the report attributed this to the vehicle rather than the driver - as in "driverless"

I'll try harder to avoid weak jokes that need an explanation