What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Mick F »

Still smiling about the ridiculousness of this thing with vogue magazine.
How they can complain about a village in Cornwall being called Vogue when they started off in USA, is silly.
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 10.47.15.png
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It gets publicity on social media and everybody who "likes" it or passes it on in one way or another gives it more publicity.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Apparently the Vogons are suing the pub-owner for calling his establishment The Star Inn at Vogue. Which is nothing more than the truth.

N.B. They're having an American night on 18th June. All you can eat for £10.

http://starinnvogue.biz/
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Of course all this is meaningless when the Vogons get to build there intergalactic hyperspace bypass. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

“Yes, that’s right, Vogue is the name of our village, which has been in existence for hundreds of years and in fact is a Cornish word, not English."

Is the derivation really Cornish?

Thanks

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 May 2022, 10:51am It gets publicity on social media and everybody who "likes" it or passes it on in one way or another gives it more publicity.
Sadly, you're probably right.

It makes the magazine brand look like total cookwombles, so I'd like to think it's "bad" publicity ...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In this case, I presume that the big brands employ agents to protect their brand names. AIUI, although the village and boozer have used the name for a long time, it's only recently that the pub people have formally registered the name (Companies House?) which will have triggered the letter. Like so much in the modern era it's hardly a big deal but that's the way things are.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote: 13 May 2022, 12:14pm Is the derivation really Cornish?
Gordon only knows.

Here's a map, earliest I could find.
Published 1888.
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 14.37.28.png
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 13 May 2022, 12:14pm “Yes, that’s right, Vogue is the name of our village, which has been in existence for hundreds of years and in fact is a Cornish word, not English."

I believe Cornish tourists named the village on return from a shopping trip to the Parisian fashion emporia. Stolen shamelessly :roll:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 13 May 2022, 12:14pm “Yes, that’s right, Vogue is the name of our village, which has been in existence for hundreds of years and in fact is a Cornish word, not English."

Thanks

Jonathan
Surely you mean Corneaux ?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Why Boris thinks working from home isn't a good idea.

Taking a swipe at the out-of-office culture that has taken hold across Whitehall, he adds: 'My experience of working from home is you spend an awful lot of time making another cup of coffee and then, you know, getting up, walking very slowly to the fridge, hacking off a small piece of cheese, then walking very slowly back to your laptop and then forgetting what it was you're doing.'

:lol:
peetee

Post by peetee »

Audax67 wrote: 13 May 2022, 11:07am Apparently the Vogons are suing the pub-owner for calling his establishment The Star Inn at Vogue. Which is nothing more than the truth.

N.B. They're having an American night on 18th June. All you can eat for £10.

http://starinnvogue.biz/
And a very commendable inn it is too. We are Sustrans volunteers and responsible for route signage past there so are, e’hem, familiar with the fare. I can vouch for the age of the place, most of the properties date from before the American Civil War so I am pretty sure any legal action will be thrown overboard with the tea.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Extract from letter in today's paper which made me laugh out loud.
...but I do remember an excellent piece of advice: “give them their cod liver oil when they are in the bath”. This meant that spills and splutters did not result in stained and smelly clothes to be washed.
Perhaps only readers of a certain generation will find this amusing - Gen X and later may have been spared the delights of clo !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Happened to be in ASDA a couple of days ago picking up a prescription and buying some multivitamins. I noticed cod liver oil capsules and multivitamins containing CLO were prominent on the shelf too. I resisted getting these for SWMBO for fear of a backlash. :lol:
Oh and who had rosehip syrup given to them in the same era. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonineaston wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:54am Extract from letter in today's paper which made me laugh out loud.
...but I do remember an excellent piece of advice: “give them their cod liver oil when they are in the bath”. This meant that spills and splutters did not result in stained and smelly clothes to be washed.
Perhaps only readers of a certain generation will find this amusing - Gen X and later may have been spared the delights of clo !
My ma must have read that 50 years ago or else told someone what she did and it's only getting out now. :lol: