What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 7:09pm
in4time wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 8:32pm Looking for travel scales on the high street. Assistant in the store says yes, we have some here.
Ah, says I, they only weigh up to 20kg, I need 40kg.
Assistant says, why don’t you buy two then!
Tears rolling down my cheeks!
Not as daft as it sounds.
Yes... why couldn't you hang the object from two scales and add the values?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sounds to me, with my feeble brain, that the two scales would measure half of each other so long as you held two at once on the same suitcase handle.
Add the two together?

Two bathroom scales.
One foot on each.
Add the two together for your "true" weight?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 7:16pm Sounds to me, with my feeble brain, that the two scales would measure half of each other so long as you held two at once on the same suitcase handle.
The geometry would have to be right to exclude, for example, them pulling against each other. Both vertical should do,

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 7:16pmTwo bathroom scales.
One foot on each.
With very light cars you can do corner and total weighting with ordinary bathroom scales.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 7:48pm
One foot on each.
With very light cars you can do corner and total weighting with ordinary bathroom scales.

Jonathan
You can do the same with a bicycle and bathroom scales providing the wheel not on the scales is the same height and on level ground IYSWIM.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 11:31pm
One foot on each.
You can do the same with a bicycle and bathroom scales providing the wheel not on the scales is the same height and on level ground IYSWIM.
Yes, you can do it with one set of scales and passive platforms at the other points of contact if you get the height right. But it's much quicker to see the effects of changes if you're measuring the load at each point.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 11:46pm
Yes, you can do it with one set of scales and passive platforms at the other points of contact if you get the height right. But it's much quicker to see the effects of changes if you're measuring the load at each point.

Jonathan
A lot easier to weigh yourself and then weigh again holding the bike.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 11:55pm

Jonathan
I used the weigh each wheel method with me sat on the bike to find weight distribution per wheel for tyre pressures.
Solos were 40fr 60r.Tandems 50/50 obviously two up
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 11:55pm
reohn2 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 11:31pm You can do the same with a bicycle and bathroom scales providing the wheel not on the scales is the same height and on level ground IYSWIM.
I was thinking of both HPVs and cars when I wrote that. But, more relevantly here, of measuring the load at each point of contact with the ground.

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Whither humour ?
Perhaps weighing John Shuttleworth's Y Reg Austin Ambassador may drive this thread back to Laughtertown...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq1YfkX9dU
Nu-Fogey
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 6:26pm
simonineaston wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 5:48pm
What Has Made You Laugh Today?
The fond recollection that Johnson, Mr & Mrs, will fade into history as pointless after-thoughts regardless of how we vote, whereas Queen Elizabeth, never mind whether we are pro-monarchy or not, is likely to appear in the history books as hard-working and well-meaning.
She might, she might not. If there weren't so much secrecy around our Head of State this would be easier to predict.

Jonathan
What nonsense! Do you really think some secrets will emerge 50 years hence showing her to be some dope-smoking shirker?!

Heck, even Queen Victoria still has a pretty decent reputation, despite barely a fraction of the scrutiny Liz II has been subject to.

You're in some anti-monarchy fantasy land there my friend :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 12:01pm
simonineaston wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 5:48pm The fond recollection that Johnson, Mr & Mrs, will fade into history as pointless after-thoughts regardless of how we vote, whereas Queen Elizabeth, never mind whether we are pro-monarchy or not, is likely to appear in the history books as hard-working and well-meaning.
She might, she might not. If there weren't so much secrecy around our Head of State this would be easier to predict.
Do you really think some secrets will emerge 50 years hence showing her to be some dope-smoking shirker?!
On balance probably not. But then I'm not concerned about her private life.

I expect that we'll find out a lot more about attempts at reform such as what they were and who was in favour and who was against.

And about who was advising the Head of State and what they were saying.

And about some particular constitutional crunch moments such as the removal of the Prime Minister of Australia and the unlawful prorogation of Parliament in the UK.

When those are available we'll know a lot more about the consequent decisions of the Head of State.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

We already know about Charley's attempts to interfere.
A cache of secret memos between Prince Charles and senior government ministers has been released after a 10-year legal battle, offering the clearest picture yet of the breadth and depth of the heir to the throne’s lobbying at the highest level of politics.

The 27 memos, sent in 2004 and 2005 and released only after the Guardian won its long freedom of information fight with the government, show the Prince of Wales making direct and persistent policy demands to the then prime minister Tony Blair and several key figures in his Labour government.
David Cameron’s last government attempted to veto the release. In 2012 the then attorney general, Dominic Grieve, warned they “would be seriously damaging to his role as future monarch because, if he forfeits his position of political neutrality as heir to the throne, he cannot easily recover it when he is king”.

But following the release of the “black spider” memos – so-called because of the prince’s scrawled handwriting – there were questions on Wednesday about whether it was worth the money to try to keep secret details of his lobbying, some of which reflects Charles’s very narrow personal interests.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... tony-blair
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 12:01pm
simonineaston wrote: 3 Jun 2022, 5:48pm The fond recollection that Johnson, Mr & Mrs, will fade into history as pointless after-thoughts regardless of how we vote, whereas Queen Elizabeth, never mind whether we are pro-monarchy or not, is likely to appear in the history books as hard-working and well-meaning.

Jonathan
What nonsense! Do you really think some secrets will emerge 50 years hence showing her to be some dope-smoking shirker?!

Heck, even Queen Victoria still has a pretty decent reputation, despite barely a fraction of the scrutiny Liz II has been subject to.

You're in some anti-monarchy fantasy land there my friend :lol:
Hi hi! What is wrong with a dope-smoking shirker that they should be vilified by a queenie-fan so!? I have known many dope-smoking shirkers, who were generally pleasant and never shot a few thousand grouse for no reason or milked rents from folk working hard to pay them just so the corgis could eat pate de foie gras whilst their owner dolled about in a crown and loadsa jewels!

At the moment I am just finishing my latest woodworking project but recent events have got me thinking about a new one - a full-size guillotine, perhaps draped in a Welsh flag. The ladywife could certainly weave a nice basket for the heads (of state or otherwise). However, perhaps dope-smoking shirkers will dissuade me? "Peace, man", they will say, whilst offering me a bag of lentils and a kaleidoscope.

Cugel, probably just a chartist needing a Wellington (duke not boot).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That's part of the reason why I believe there will be an opportunity for change when - and if - "Brian" succeeds to the throne.

Rebel Prince by Tom Bowyer is a well-documented explanation of this and much more.