Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Tatanab, The Velocette LE suffered very badly from carb icing, needed a small deflector in winter to cahnnel the cold airsteam away from the centrally positioned carb. TTFN MM
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Harleys no comment.
Icing carburettors, So in the late 70s I had a tiger cub parked in the social club carpark.
Christmas time and up for some snooker.
Merrily playing away people come in and say it's a blizzard outside, no, yes 3 foot thick, no.
Finally I decided to take a look yeah its feet thick.
Over 40 people had to spend the night in the social club.
But not me, Pull my comb from my pocket and scrape the snow out of the carburettor intake.
Flood the carb Give it a couple of prods and away we go.
Shivering mate on pillion, down to 1 and six Hill, easy just use the snow has a break on the tires.
As you know on the side stand the carb tends to leak So seen icicles many times especially at -10.
Hey ho.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Hate carbs.
Horrible things.
So many little jets and orifices, too much of a compromise. I've still got my carb balancing gauges in the garage.

Give me fuel injection any day.

Only time I ever had carbs ice up was in my plane.
I was about 4000 feet up, it was 20 degrees C outside and I throttled back to tickover and was enjoying the peace and quiet of gliding around.
What I should have been doing was every 10 seconds or so giving the engine a quick burst to clear any ice but I was lost in the moment.
At around 2000 feet the engine stopped idling and cut out which I'll admit was a bit of a butt clencher.

Fortunately the carbs on a plane are heated and after a couple of abortive start attempts at full throttle to clear the carbs it started again.

(The pressure drop at low throttle settings mean the temperature can easily drop below freezing even though the outside temp is quite high. Throw in water vapour in the form of whispy clouds and the jobs a good un).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Would rather have any of the new Triumphs than a Harley. That Triumph Thruxton looks nice and sounds great too.

I am here. Where are you?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cowsham wrote:Would rather have any of the new Triumphs than a Harley. That Triumph Thruxton looks nice and sounds great too.

I dont think a person who would want a Harley would want one of those down to riding position. If ever get a new m/c it will be some kind of cruiser as my poor old bones wont bend much any more.I need an arm chair seating position.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

kwackers wrote:Hate carbs.
Horrible things.
So many little jets and orifices, too much of a compromise. I've still got my carb balancing gauges in the garage.

Even fuel injection needs balancing if there is more than one injection inlet.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

mercalia wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Would rather have any of the new Triumphs than a Harley. That Triumph Thruxton looks nice and sounds great too.

I dont think a person who would want a Harley would want one of those down to riding position. If ever get a new m/c it will be some kind of cruiser as my poor old bones wont bend much any more.I need an arm chair seating position.

How do you manage your road bicycle? Recumbent?
I am here. Where are you?
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I had a RD200. Twas a pig to run smooth because the shaft used to wear unevenly so not only did you struggle to make sure the carbs were balanced, but the timing would shift too. Sold it to someone wanting the engine for a project. Had a GP100, lovely bike to learn on till I blew a hole in the piston because the mixture went too lean. Got a CZ250, but got bored with motorbikes all together and sold that too.

More than 20 years since I've ridden a real motorbike. I feel sorry for modern learners having to do loads of theory and practical tests, we only had to do a basic 20 minute test back then, the examiner standing by the road side while we did laps. It's a pity motorbikes can't be made much more economical, the scooters supposedly do 150mpg plus, but only if you're a short small might rider.

Wind resistance soon scrubs that consumption figure if you're 6 foot plus and broad - probably why as a cyclist, I was always more competitive at hill climbing than outright sprinting as I couldn't tuck in enough. I've thought about recumbents but would feel unsafe in today's traffic being so low down. I much prefer to be higher up.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

cycleruk wrote:Even fuel injection needs balancing if there is more than one injection inlet.

Possibly, but carbs needed cleaning regularly especially if you left the bike stood for any length of time. Gummed up ports and whatnot.
Once the carbs were off they never went back on and simply worked, not only that but they "drifted" requiring frequent adjustment. To some extent you could adjust them by ear but every now and then they'd need a major strip and set up from scratch.

I honestly don't know if my current bike has one or four injectors but I do know I've never touched them nor needed to.
It simply runs "right" all the time.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cowsham wrote:
mercalia wrote:

How do you manage your road bicycle? Recumbent?

Not realy comparable ? can adjust seat height and position and choose a frame that is suitable, That bike is one size fits all ( or not - look at the seat "slot", as thats what it is , your backside has to be there and tough luck if that puts your feet and legs really bent)
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Haven't owned one since 2018 but over time have owned more than I can remember.

I occasionally think about buying a small supermoto or custom but really can't justify the expense.

The last was a Zontes 250 single. A very surprisingly well put together Chinese machine.

My faves were RD400E, XJR1300, CB1, VFR800 and the Hornet 600.
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

llayercake wrote:but really can't justify the expense.

Don't try, just do it. :D
I got back on a motorcycle after a 15 years break, and I regret not returning sooner.

As for HD, they're more to do with buying into a lifestyle than a motorcycle, usually ridden by miserable gits who don't acknowledge a biker nod.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

cycleruk wrote:
Horrible things.

Even fuel injection needs balancing if there is more than one injection inlet.

Not needed for a long time with modern chip controlled systems, drive by wire systems. Where there is more than one air intake eg on a BMW flat twin it was the throttle valves that needed balancing when they were cable operated. Nothing to do with the fuel injection and all to do with differential cable stretch.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Horrible things.

Only time I ever had carbs ice up was in my plane.
I was about 4000 feet up, it was 20 degrees C outside and I throttled back to tickover and was enjoying the peace and quiet of gliding around.
What I should have been doing was every 10 seconds or so giving the engine a quick burst to clear any ice but I was lost in the moment.
At around 2000 feet the engine stopped idling and cut out which I'll admit was a bit of a butt clencher.

Fortunately the carbs on a plane are heated and after a couple of abortive start attempts at full throttle to clear the carbs it started again.

(The pressure drop at low throttle settings mean the temperature can easily drop below freezing even though the outside temp is quite high. Throw in water vapour in the form of whispy clouds and the jobs a good un).

Not always. One of my bikes has an Amal TT and it's a lovely thing.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The carbs on my Yamaha XJ900S havent needed to be touched in the 20 years I have had it