Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:The carbs on my Yamaha XJ900S havent needed to be touched in the 20 years I have had it

Bet it sounds like a bag of spanners on tickover... ;)
dim

Post by dim »

I'm already thinking about getting another motorcycle for commuting/city riding ... I'm looking very closely at the Honda 500 Rebel

cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

pete75 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:
kwackers wrote:Hate carbs.
Horrible things.
So many little jets and orifices, too much of a compromise. I've still got my carb balancing gauges in the garage.

Give me fuel injection any day.

Even fuel injection needs balancing if there is more than one injection inlet.

Not needed for a long time with modern chip controlled systems, drive by wire systems. Where there is more than one air intake eg on a BMW flat twin it was the throttle valves that needed balancing when they were cable operated. Nothing to do with the fuel injection and all to do with differential cable stretch.

More than likely. I had to do my Moto Guzzi California now and again. Not touched my Triumph triple in the 6 years I have had it. Wished I had kept the Guzzi.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

cycleruk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Even fuel injection needs balancing if there is more than one injection inlet.

Not needed for a long time with modern chip controlled systems, drive by wire systems. Where there is more than one air intake eg on a BMW flat twin it was the throttle valves that needed balancing when they were cable operated. Nothing to do with the fuel injection and all to do with differential cable stretch.

More than likely. I had to do my Moto Guzzi California now and again. Not touched my Triumph triple in the 6 years I have had it. Wished I had kept the Guzzi.

Yep. I always wanted a Le Mans but could never afford one at the time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:The carbs on my Yamaha XJ900S havent needed to be touched in the 20 years I have had it

Bet it sounds like a bag of spanners on tickover... ;)

not really
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Japanese engines are quite finely made, If they've not been left outside and abused and they have been garaged and not done excessive mileage, even the air cooled engines can sound very quite If you discount the exhaust noise.
I'm not sure about the XJ 900, but in the 80s and even before then inverted toothed chains were common especially for the camshaft.
400 fours Honda did rattle a bit on tickover, And if not perfectly balanced you could hear the primary drive shaft and clutch chatter.

Lemans 850 when they came out Were quite a neat looking bike, speedos were a mile out, but we have a stable bike at speed.
Unlike my V f400 A bit more twitchy at high speed but could eat LeMans. For breakfast with handling and acceleration up to about a ton.
I rode the lemans so I do know something about it, But two riders on separate times both commented that my bike was fast, probably because I overtook them :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Japanese engines are quite finely made, If they've not been left outside and abused and they have been garaged and not done excessive mileage, even the air cooled engines can sound very quite If you discount the exhaust noise.
I'm not sure about the XJ 900, but in the 80s and even before then inverted toothed chains were common especially for the camshaft.
400 fours Honda did rattle a bit on tickover, And if not perfectly balanced you could hear the primary drive shaft and clutch chatter.

Lemans 850 when they came out Were quite a neat looking bike, speedos were a mile out, but we have a stable bike at speed.
Unlike my V f400 A bit more twitchy at high speed but could eat LeMans. For breakfast with handling and acceleration up to about a ton.
I rode the lemans so I do know something about it, But two riders on separate times both commented that my bike was fast, probably because I overtook them :lol:

I have had my XJ900s diversion now 20 years. bought in 1999 2nd hand with just under 15,000 miles . since then I have added another 50,000 miles. Engine still fine. No noises at tick over. But then I rarely go above 60 mph, has spent most of its life chugging around London. I have had to replace the brake calipers twice now as the pistons go rusty and cheaper to buy 2nd hand ones in good nick than to have them rebuilt. Iwill have to think about getting some thing more modern as the super ULEZ comes into force in late 2021 covering the whole of the north and south circular and my bike is just too old. shame. On a long run at 60mph I can get 60 mpg. They just dont make simple bikes like that any more. if i get another bike will be some kind of cruiser eg Kawasaki VN 900 , Vulcan 900, (This one as you can get one with minimal chrome. ) only because of the more sedate sitiing postion. Bones cant take it any more

I havent heard one I just hope it aint a noisey Harley clone, that it has a proper silencer.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Nw200 and tt both cancelled !
I am here. Where are you?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Norton exclusive – fairytale ending for troubled brand as Indian motor giant scoops it for £16m.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

mercalia wrote:so Norton exclusive – fairytale ending for troubled brand as Indian motor giant scoops it for £16m.

Wonder if John Mc Pint will get paid now.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Currently I ride an R1250RT and have 1978 RD250D for a few local runs.

Over the years I’ve tried most marques except Kawasaki, no reason just hasn’t happened. The spread is Honda Cub to Ducati Panigale.

I ride all year and volunteer for SERV Wessex our local blood bike group, I now have a car through necessity but for eight years I didn’t.

Ride safe.
Two wheels preferred.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Just sold my Triumph Tiger 800. Got too heavy to manually handle safely out of the garage. (aged muscles not up to it.)
Not ridden much for a couple of years with last year due to Covid.
Might consider a lighter bike such as Honda CB500. Like the style of the new Royal Enfield 650 twin but again could be heavy.
Tiger1.jpeg
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycleruk wrote:Just sold my Triumph Tiger 800. Got too heavy to manually handle safely out of the garage. (aged muscles not up to it.)
Not ridden much for a couple of years with last year due to Covid.
Might consider a lighter bike such as Honda CB500. Like the style of the new Royal Enfield 650 twin but again could be heavy.
Tiger1.jpeg

I fancy one of those Royal Enfield 650's too -- I thought they'd be fairly light and reviews I've seen are favorable.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ymfb wrote:Currently I ride an R1250RT and have 1978 RD250D for a few local runs.

Over the years I’ve tried most marques except Kawasaki, no reason just hasn’t happened. The spread is Honda Cub to Ducati Panigale.

I ride all year and volunteer for SERV Wessex our local blood bike group, I now have a car through necessity but for eight years I didn’t.

Ride safe.

Panigale ! That's exotic stuff Steve.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Cowsham wrote:
ymfb wrote:Currently I ride an R1250RT and have 1978 RD250D for a few local runs.

Ride safe.

Panigale ! That's exotic stuff Steve.

It was a 50th birthday present to myself, completely indulgent and impractical, wonderful to ride, but I rarely did and eventually sold it.
Two wheels preferred.