Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Z400 through to 750 - 1100 gpz 4 cyclinders all.
Had hy-vo (inverted tooth gear chains) primary drives and importantly cam chains, so nice silent and turbine like noises no chain clatter.
Honda 4x400 500 550 etc were earlier so still rattily cam chains.

The vf400 decided the designers to use roller for the dual cam chains...............because of lightness.
Plagued by auto cam chain adjusters, mine started to rattle after about 12-15k.
I dismantled and in the end decided on a spring to fit inside the original spring for auto adjuster, my theory is that a slightly more spring tension and two springs now to help eliminate resonance............worked....

IIRC the vf500 had a more robust cam chain auto adjuster, and IIRC vfr400 and vfr750 had gear driven cams.

Even the auto cam chain adjuster on my old z550 needed regular maintenance ...a five minute job or less, undo the cap remove the short tapered slipper which was at 90 degrees to the main adjuster.........clean reoil and that was fixed for a good 5k or so.

Then there was boring super dreams parallel twins with counter rotating balancer shafts, removed the chronic secondary vibration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance
Or its "V"s and on to offsets etc.
Even the single hondas were fitted with balancer shafts.
Singles - V twins - and Triples and V Fours pure heaven to ride........anything too smooth is boring I.M.O :)
Fancy a V twin for retirement :)
Don't get me wrong four cylinder bike engines can be nice, my z550 was wonderful and reliable.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 2:50pm Hi,
Singles - V twins - and Triples and V Fours pure heaven to ride........anything too smooth is boring I.M.O :)
Fancy a V twin for retirement :)
Don't get me wrong four cylinder bike engines can be nice, my z550 was wonderful and reliable.
I've had 5 V-twins. 1 Virago, 3 Guzzi's and 1 Honda Transalp.
This was my last Guzzi and the best of all the bikes I've had. As usual I should have kept it instead of trading it in for the Transalp.
Vtwin.JPG
You'll never know if you don't try it.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I’ve had a few Guzzi thoughts, but more likely the V85TT adventure bike, but I’m also thinking about the new KTM 890R.

I’m also considering a new Endurance bike, something with Di2

Basically I need more dosh
Two wheels preferred.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just finished the catch up tv for the 2022 BSB and I have to say this is by a long long way the best motorcycle race series in the world now.

I think a lot of it is due to that fact that because it's British Superbike we know all the competitors and can get a great insight into their personalities etc with so many great interviews etc.

My motorcycle friends harp on about the moto gp or the world superbike series but none of them come close to the drama and excitement of the BSB partly due to the fact there's no electronic aids on these fire breathing monsters in the superbike class. ( there are on British superstock also featured on the BSB series but the racing is still close cos the bikes are near enough stock )

I love seeing the up and coming new talent making their way up through the classes.

The foreign race series are OK but because there's more money needed to go racing only a handful, maybe 3 or 4 top names have a chance whereas there's been 10 or eleven different winners in the superbike class alone in BSB 2022 -- you just don't get that in moto gp or world's.

Well done all organizers, competitors and Marshalls for putting on one hell of a show.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I returned to motorcycling in 2020 after a 20+year absence,with a Honda CB500X,which I've since put almost 19,000miles on and can honestly say its a great riders real world bike with enough power for most people and very light and flickable:-
20210904_140413.jpg
Last August I was looking around for a winter bike preferably with shaft drive and fully faired and manage to get a low mileage S/H 2010 Honda NT700 Deauville with 26,000 miles on it with a stack of servicing paperwork,which I've since put 11,500miles on.
The bike though a little heavy at 235kg has been a great buy,these bikes get the nickname "Dullsville" but I can only think by people who've never owned or ridden one,they're great m/way mile munchers and no slouch in the twisties either:-
20210914_114618.jpg
Click on pics to enlarge.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Just got this one to add to the collection. Along with Francoise Hardy, every schoolboys dream in the late sixties.
Bonnie.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 2:25pm I returned to motorcycling in 2020 after a 20+year absence,with a Honda CB500X,which I've since put almost 19,000miles on and can honestly say its a great riders real world bike with enough power for most people and very light and flickable:-
20210904_140413.jpg

Last August I was looking around for a winter bike preferably with shaft drive and fully faired and manage to get a low mileage S/H 2010 Honda NT700 Deauville with 26,000 miles on it with a stack of servicing paperwork,which I've since put 11,500miles on.
The bike though a little heavy at 235kg has been a great buy,these bikes get the nickname "Dullsville" but I can only think by people who've never owned or ridden one,they're great m/way mile munchers and no slouch in the twisties either:- 20210914_114618.jpg
Click on pics to enlarge.
Had a cb500s for commuting -- great bike -- if I'd had the time, was 20years younger and had the money it would be racing in thundersport.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 4:14pm Just got this one to add to the collection. Along with Francoise Hardy, every schoolboys dream in the late sixties.

Bonnie.jpg
Would love one Pete -- health to ride.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:15pm
pete75 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 4:14pm Just got this one to add to the collection. Along with Francoise Hardy, every schoolboys dream in the late sixties.

Bonnie.jpg
Would love one Pete -- health to ride.
Only had one bike, an R1200GS, but after I was made redundant started collecting classic bikes as a hobby. The 650 Bonnie, an 850 Norton Commando, BMW R90S, Royal Enfield Constellation, Velocette MAC, Royal Enfield Bullet 350 trials and an MZ 250 now fill part of the garage, as well as a modern BM.
Nicest to ride is the R90S. When I was a proper biker in the early to mid seventies we used to argue about what was best, Commando, Trident Honda 4 etc. All had their strengths, Trident fastest and good handling, Commando light and lithe with the best handling and the Honda a bit of a heavy old lump, but much more reliable. We never mentioned the BM, mainly because it was so far out of anyone's price range. Now I know it was the best bike of the era, as sharp handling as the Commando, quicker than even the Trident and with superior build quality and reliability to any of them. Only problem is they were twice the price of the others.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I want one of the new 650 Enfield interceptors -- it's a modern classic but so nice too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:14pm Had a cb500s for commuting -- great bike -- if I'd had the time, was 20years younger and had the money it would be racing in thundersport.
The latest generation CB500 is such a sweet practical bike and very durable too,check out this chap's 96,000mile RTW bike:- https://www.madornomad.com/honda-cb500x-review/
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:15pm I want one of the new 650 Enfield interceptors -- it's a modern classic but so nice too.
Biggest selling bike in teh Uk now. It's overtaken the R120o/R1250GS after several years as the best seller. Interceptor looks good but i think my 1958 Constellation looks nicer.
connie.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:15pm I want one of the new 650 Enfield interceptors -- it's a modern classic but so nice too.
Yes it certainly is and at a reasonable price too,RE are not half making a name for themselves as good,down to earth,honest bikes with a nod to the past but fit for the modern motorcyclist who doesn't feel a need for all the electronic gizmos hung onto to many modern bikes.Their success is phenomenal worldwide not just in India with,IIRC,the Interceptor being UK's best selling bike last year.
Their latest 350 range also proving a winner too,I see many 350s about on my travels
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:41pm
Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:14pm Had a cb500s for commuting -- great bike -- if I'd had the time, was 20years younger and had the money it would be racing in thundersport.
The latest generation CB500 is such a sweet practical bike and very durable too,check out this chap's 96,000mile RTW bike:- https://www.madornomad.com/honda-cb500x-review/
Not bad power to weight ratio ( same power as my 140kg TDR but engine will be bullet proof, unlike the TDR -- it has a reputation in that department :? )
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:54pm
Yes it certainly is and at a reasonable price too,RE are not half making a name for themselves as good,down to earth,honest bikes with a nod to the past but fit for the modern motorcyclist who doesn't feel a need for all the electronic gizmos hung onto to many modern bikes.Their success is phenomenal worldwide not just in India with,IIRC,the Interceptor being UK's best selling bike last year.
Exactly why I want one -- it has classic written all over it. Good looks, seems fairly well built and gaining a big following. It's a nod to Pete's Bonnie I think.