Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 11:06pm
reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 10:41pm
Cowsham wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 9:14pm Had a cb500s for commuting -- great bike -- if I'd had the time, was 20years younger and had the money it would be racing in thundersport.
The latest generation CB500 is such a sweet practical bike and very durable too,check out this chap's 96,000mile RTW bike:- https://www.madornomad.com/honda-cb500x-review/
Not bad power to weight ratio ( same power as my 140kg TDR but engine will be bullet proof, unlike the TDR -- it has a reputation in that department :? )
Yes there's many on the CB500 forums being used and abused that prove the engine to be unburstable with many in the 60/70,000mile catagory still going strong.
The NT700V (and NT650)/XT Trans Alp Vtwins are the same with many deep into six figure mileages without problem,obviously with a decent servicing service schedule.
Honda sure know how to make motorcycles!

EDIT:- another plus for the CB500X is that it returns regular as clockwork 85 to 90mpg
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I had two small motorcycles back in the 70's. The first was a Suzuki that made a lot of noise but kept breaking down, last time the engine seized up. It was replaced with a new Honda C90 that took me 30000 miles without any problems.

At the time you could ride on L plates for an indefinite period if you already had a car licence, so I never bothered with a test.
When I turned 70 my licence had to be renewed and the new licence only allowed me to ride a 50cc bike. I've just swapped it for a French counterpart and suddenly it seems I'm OK to ride a machine up to 125cc.

I'd like a small bike and 125cc would be plenty for what I'd want to use it for.
I'm concerned there's been some sort of error and it's a mistake and 50cc is my limit not having taken any M/C test.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

francovendee wrote: 1 Dec 2022, 8:45am I had two small motorcycles back in the 70's. The first was a Suzuki that made a lot of noise but kept breaking down, last time the engine seized up. It was replaced with a new Honda C90 that took me 30000 miles without any problems.

At the time you could ride on L plates for an indefinite period if you already had a car licence, so I never bothered with a test.
When I turned 70 my licence had to be renewed and the new licence only allowed me to ride a 50cc bike. I've just swapped it for a French counterpart and suddenly it seems I'm OK to ride a machine up to 125cc.

I'd like a small bike and 125cc would be plenty for what I'd want to use it for.
I'm concerned there's been some sort of error and it's a mistake and 50cc is my limit not having taken any M/C test.
I think you can ride up to a 125 on a CBT ( compulsory bike test -- which is very easy ) but you have to renew it every couple of years --

I had a Honda CG125 -- if I was asked which bike I'd want to have the best chance of making it right around the world on it would be a CG125 ..

for a bit more comfort normal commuting it would be a Honda Varadero 125 -- a workmate of mine has one and he has put it around the clock. Sits up a bit higher too so you can see round you a bit better.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,what I consider a beautiful looking motorcycle:- https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... egina-evo/

The new RE Hunter and Classic 350s(though the graphics on the Hunter's tank are suspect) are in the same vein for style but at a more reasonable price,if only they produced another 10to15bhp I think I'd buy one:- https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... 022-review
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... -350/2022/
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Wish I still was!
5JAN1.jpg
5JAN1.jpg (24.34 KiB) Viewed 495 times
adv1.jpg
adv1.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 495 times
kh4.jpg
kh4.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 495 times
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've been keeping a weather eye on 'leccy motorbikes but they either have underwhelming speed / range or else an eye-watering price.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 9:50am I've been keeping a weather eye on 'leccy motorbikes but they either have underwhelming speed / range or else an eye-watering price.
Yes they tend to fall into two distinct categories,short range commuter or offroad type scooters/motorcycles or as you say eye-watering expensive short,under 100mile range,"toys".

Edit:- Honda in conjunction with Kymco(?) are developing a battery bank system where flat batteries can be swapped at filling stations.
Which is a great idea IMO but needs a generic battery type for all scooters and motorcycles,it will definitely work well in Asian countries and possibly mainland Europe where twowheelers are the norm.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Dec 2022, 4:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Djnotts
Nice bikes,why are you not still riding?
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

attachment=0]big1.jpg[/attachment]
CB750.jpg
vir1.jpg
And some more!
After "returning" for a few years when early 60s I decided wasn't riding enough to be safe.
Now, while I think could still ride not strong enough to manhandle when stationary. And insurance prohibitive!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

That went wrong!
big1.jpg
big1.jpg (20.11 KiB) Viewed 435 times
vir1.jpg
vir1.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 435 times
vir1.jpg
vir1.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Attachments
CB750.jpg
CB750.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 435 times
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 2:23pm attachment=0]big1.jpg[/attachment]CB750.jpgvir1.jpg

And some more!
After "returning" for a few years when early 60s I decided wasn't riding enough to be safe.
Now, while I think could still ride not strong enough to manhandle when stationary. And insurance prohibitive!
Ah! I see,sorry to hear about that,some more nice bikes in the pics :)
I had CB750 for a short while in 1972 but wasn't too keen on it,so stepped down in size to a Suzuki T500K,really liked that bike!
I came back to motorcycling two and a bit years ago after a long lay off and I'm enjoying the art of riding more now than ever!
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 4:29pm
djnotts wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 2:23pm attachment=0]big1.jpg[/attachment]CB750.jpgvir1.jpg

And some more!
I had CB750 for a short while in 1972 but wasn't too keen on it,so stepped down in size to a Suzuki T500K,really liked that bike!
I came back to motorcycling two and a bit years ago after a long lay off and I'm enjoying the art of riding more now than ever!
Don't know if I've already said it but big bikes don't have much appeal to me. They're like cars with two wheels missing.

I like a frugal light bike but it is mystifying why the older, fatter and weaker men get the bigger heavier and monstrous the bike has to be. I've lifted big bikes off old embarrassed guys after they've toppled over on them and thought I hope I never get the notion to buy one as I get older.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 4:41pm
reohn2 wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 4:29pm

And some more!
Don't know if I've already said it but big bikes don't have much appeal to me. They're like cars with two wheels missing.

I like a frugal light bike but it is mystifying why the older, fatter and weaker men get the bigger heavier and monstrous the bike has to be. I've lifted big bikes off old embarrassed guys after they've toppled over on them and thought I hope I never get the notion to buy one as I get older.
I know what you mean,the CB500X at 197kg is light and very flickable,but the NT700 Deauville though 40kgs heavier doesn't feel very heavy once I'm astride it and I've never felt it to be very heavy due to it's low CG,I can tootle along merrily feet up at sub 5mph without a thought of falling.
Last week I sat astride an ST1300 Pan European(325kg) in a showroom with a possible eye on buying it and it felt great,though once off it it felt very heavy to lift off the sidestand,that concerned me enough to decline the test ride and put that idea to bed.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thread resurrection:- I came across this interesting website and thought it maybe of interest to us motorcyclists on the forum:-https://thevintagent.com/motorcycles/
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

The 750 K7 weighed over 550lbs with a full tank. Hefty lump for my c. 9st body evn when younger! But a lovely 90+ cruiser. I once saw 130 on the clock, but took a while to wind up and probably only 120-125.
The baby Kwacker triple regeared to pull over a 100 yet the acceleration still sharp!
But I was so much younger then.....