Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by windmiller »

'I tend to become uncomfortable around all ideologies that brand themselves as “the truth” or “the way”. This not only includes most religions, but also atheism, radical bi-partisan politics or any system of thought, including “woke” culture, that finds its energy in self-righteous belief and the suppression of contrary systems of thought. Regardless of the virtuous intentions of many woke issues, it is its lack of humility and the paternalistic and doctrinal sureness of its claims that repel me.’

So spaketh Nick Cave
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do not want to drive at more than 70 mph
Back in the day when I was first driving, I was courting the future Mrs Mick F.

I was based in Portsmouth and drove north every Friday and back to Pompey on the Sunday. Couldn't do it every weekend due to duties etc, but maybe three in four weekends. I had a Mini Van 850cc and floored the throttle and it would manage 74mph (indicated). Up the main roads out of Hampshire, dual carriageways and bypasses to Cheltenham, then M5/M6 to Lancashire. 250miles each way.
Some time later, I had a Triumph Herald 1250. My speed was then 85mph flat out, and again I did it full throttle.

After marrying in 1973, I had humber Sceptre and later a Hillman Hunter. 100mph flat out, and when I was having to drive down to Pompey from Scotland where we lived, that's what I would do.

Years later, I had a job on Clydeside early 1990s with the family here in Cornwall. Two or three of us would hire a car at the weekends and fly down the motorways to Plymouth, swapping drivers a couple of times when we filled up with petrol. Rover 216 was what Avis Glasgow to give us and unless we were driving at 100mph+ we weren't even trying.

These days?
I relax. :D

We're driving up to mid Wales on Monday. I would imagine I'll be doing 60mph max. It's only 200miles each way, and no doubt we'll stop a couple of times too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I guess one could fly now, minusplus?

I am ashamed to admit to having exceeded the maximum speed limit when driving, many years ago
Did try doing 161 kmh in Germany where it is allowed. Pointless, one had to keep slowing down then speeding up again because there were lots of other vehicles, doing sustained high speed is usually impossible even where allowed

I earnestly hope the Lord has forgiven my speeding crimes by now
Dolberthog B&B a couple of miles south of Llan3 might be worth a try if you dinnae like the Metropole :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I guess one could fly now, minusplus?

I am ashamed to admit to having exceeded the maximum speed limit when driving, many years ago
Did try doing 161 kmh in Germany where it is allowed. Pointless, one had to keep slowing down then speeding up again because there were lots of other vehicles, doing sustained high speed is usually impossible even where allowed

Dolberthog B&B a couple of miles south of Llan3 might be worth a try if you dinnae like the Metropole :wink:

I remember doing 100 on the M62 over the Pennines when I was a lot younger than I am now, but then I grew up.

Several miles of motorway north of Port Talbot have just seen the limit reduced from 70 to 50 to reduce toxic emissions and apparently it has worked. So we can expect to see more of that on motorways that pass through populous areas.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I guess one could fly now, minusplus?

I remember doing 100 on the M62 over the Pennines when I was a lot younger than I am now, but then I grew up.

Several miles of motorway north of Port Talbot have just seen the limit reduced from 70 to 50 to reduce toxic emissions and apparently it has worked. So we can expect to see more of that on motorways that pass through populous areas.

You might see more of that in Wales since The Welsh politicos seem rather more old-fashioned and sensible, retaining that old-hat stuff about the greater good etcetera. Elsewhere in the disUK the opposite will happen. I recall Cameron or some other Tory yob going on about how the national speed limit should be a minimum of 80mph, despite all the learned advice given him by reams of people studying traffic flows, pollution and all the other problematic aspects of the blight that is the car.

In West Wales there are lots of bendy narrow roads with no verges. It's wise to do no more than 50mph; often 25mph is advisable. There are those who wish to do 60 or even 80 despite not knowing how many tractors are around the bend. Luckily for them, the more cautious of us provide a damper on their death-wishes, as we trundle about safely at 40ish, in their way.

Even so, there are signs on many of the roads saying things like "97 casualties 2015-2017". Some fools seem to find that these signs make their right foot even heavier. Personally I shiver with apprehension.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

In a world that is all about getting ahead pushing the metal to the floor seems to be just a natural extension of the ‘me first’ culture. There is a lot to be said for throttling back, accepting that we’re not the most important person in the world and moving along with the flow of things. Like others I’ve hammered along the roads too but now I’m more sedate in my car and when peddling too. Time is sometimes against one but the best idea is to leave earlier, drive slower, use less fuel and arrive less stressed.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^^^^
Wot he said! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I was observing their protests in London yesterday. In my opinion, it’s a very well scripted, choreographed affair. Essentially, it looks like a collection of actors, who are being bankrolled, by hands unseen. There’s no spontaneity, and there’s a particular element

< Snip - no need to repeat picture >

If you look between the white flag and pink flag, you’ll see a line of women with white make up, and red outfits. Now if they’re not paid, choreographed actors, following a script, I’ll eat my shorts. I don’t know who’s bankrolling this, or exactly why, but I do have my suspicions. I guess the truth will out, sooner or later.

That's seriously paranoid.

You do realise it's possible for volunteers to dress up?

It is, but the whole thing was way too slick in my opinion. I am old enough to have been right in the middle of the Poll tax protests, the miner’s protests, and several road building protests, and the Greenham common protests. They were spontaneous, and unpredictable, and the merde hit the fan, more often than not. This XR stuff just looks like a theatre production, everybody knows what they have to do, when they need to do it. It’s suss, to say the least.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, Always makes me laugh out loud when I see one of them new fangled "Mini Countryman" things, emblazoned with Union Flags. Many things wrong with them but I'll stick to two for now - (1) "Mini" should read "Maxi" is in the long lamented BL job, great concept, poor build quality.
(2) They're actually built in Poland from German supplied components, so please delete the symbol of the UK!
Oh, well I'll add a third one (3) As they pass all I can hear is the sound of Alex Issigonis spinning rapidly in his final resting place. Bet him & Dr Moulton are having a good old chin wag? IGICB, but without a car, MM
softlips

Post by softlips »

Carlton green wrote:In a world that is all about getting ahead pushing the metal to the floor seems to be just a natural extension of the ‘me first’ culture. There is a lot to be said for throttling back, accepting that we’re not the most important person in the world and moving along with the flow of things. Like others I’ve hammered along the roads too but now I’m more sedate in my car and when peddling too. Time is sometimes against one but the best idea is to leave earlier, drive slower, use less fuel and arrive less stressed.

Very true, and it’s more relaxing too. These days if I’m late, I’m late.

I used to be a real petrolhead and have had some very nice (and expensive) cars. Fastest I’ve driven on the public road in the UK is 159mph on the Isle of Man. But I remember doing 139 mph on the M6 Toll. The supercar club used to have a run on it each year. We’d have a meeting with the Police early on a Sunday morning, give them the money we’d raised for charity and they’d tell us there were no cameras or Police vehicles out but be careful. I think this event has been stopped after the press got wind of it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

merseymouth wrote:(2) They're actually built in Poland from German supplied components, so please delete the symbol of the UK!

By built you mean 'assembled'.
If you try to track down the origin of all the parts used you'll find they come from all over - that's part of the issue with brexit, we make some parts here, they get exported to some other country where a sub-assembly is made and imported back here to be fitted to the car which is destined for export anyway.
Nothing is "built" anywhere anymore, they're all little units, endless shipped about getting bigger and bigger as they go until suddenly they're a finished product.

Still, don't worry. Lots of "minis" still assembled here, I believe the new electric mini is being built here too.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mate, I feel the expression "Telling one's Granny how to suck eggs" coming on!
Remember the Pre- WW2 slogan ? "As old as the industry, as modern as the hour".
One of my mates played quite a large part in exporting jobs from the UK, he put in place the drive train plant in Togliacchi(?) in the USSR for Lada. GKN Sankey helping to create the nearly all conquering Lada success in Cuban motoring :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

softlips wrote:
Carlton green wrote:In a world that is all about getting ahead pushing the metal to the floor seems to be just a natural extension of the ‘me first’ culture. There is a lot to be said for throttling back, accepting that we’re not the most important person in the world and moving along with the flow of things. Like others I’ve hammered along the roads too but now I’m more sedate in my car and when peddling too. Time is sometimes against one but the best idea is to leave earlier, drive slower, use less fuel and arrive less stressed.

Very true, and it’s more relaxing too. These days if I’m late, I’m late.

I used to be a real petrolhead and have had some very nice (and expensive) cars. Fastest I’ve driven on the public road in the UK is 159mph on the Isle of Man. But I remember doing 139 mph on the M6 Toll. The supercar club used to have a run on it each year. We’d have a meeting with the Police early on a Sunday morning, give them the money we’d raised for charity and they’d tell us there were no cameras or Police vehicles out but be careful. I think this event has been stopped after the press got wind of it.

My own theory is that the nature or design of a technology may easily seduce the user into employing it as it was designed to be employed.

If one has a car that accelerates like the odure off a spade, to a hundred and twelvty-ninety then one will be tempted to use it to do so. We were already lost when the advert made us buy it because of those capabilities.

If one buys a powerful rifle with a scope that can hit a thing at 300 yards then .... we will. If we are lucky, it'll just be a wee cardboard target. But they are not so much fun to kill as something that's alive. And that was what the gun was designed for, after all ...

If one has a red button that can blow up the world and the world has seriously bent one's crazy ego, even just a little .....

Cugel, wary of my hammers, chisels and even the breadknife.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I was observing their protests in London yesterday. In my opinion, it’s a very well scripted, choreographed affair. Essentially, it looks like a collection of actors, who are being bankrolled, by hands unseen. There’s no spontaneity, and there’s a particular element

< Snip - no need to repeat picture >

If you look between the white flag and pink flag, you’ll see a line of women with white make up, and red outfits. Now if they’re not paid, choreographed actors, following a script, I’ll eat my shorts. I don’t know who’s bankrolling this, or exactly why, but I do have my suspicions. I guess the truth will out, sooner or later.

That's seriously paranoid.

You do realise it's possible for volunteers to dress up?

It is, but the whole thing was way too slick in my opinion. I am old enough to have been right in the middle of the Poll tax protests, the miner’s protests, and several road building protests, and the Greenham common protests. They were spontaneous, and unpredictable, and the merde hit the fan, more often than not. This XR stuff just looks like a theatre production, everybody knows what they have to do, when they need to do it. It’s suss, to say the least.

Lots has changed since then, on both the protestors and the police side.
I was on the poll tax demo and in trafalgar square. Two things happened that weekend that probably wouldn't happen now.
1: the police charging innocent demonstrators on horseback.
2 the day after, in town to look at the aftermath of what became a riot, i went up to the barrier at the end of downing street and spoke through the railings to a copper, telling him that the police should be ashamed of what they had done. He addressed my point.

(To his credit i could tell that he knew where i was coming from, didn't thing it great either)
Sweep
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Sweep wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It is, but the whole thing was way too slick in my opinion. I am old enough to have been right in the middle of the Poll tax protests, the miner’s protests, and several road building protests, and the Greenham common protests. They were spontaneous, and unpredictable, and the merde hit the fan, more often than not. This XR stuff just looks like a theatre production, everybody knows what they have to do, when they need to do it. It’s suss, to say the least.

Lots has changed since then, on both the protestors and the police side.
I was on the poll tax demo and in trafalgar square. Two things happened that weekend that probably wouldn't happen now.
1: the police charging innocent demonstrators on horseback.
2 the day after, in town to look at the aftermath of what became a riot, i went up to the barrier at the end of downing street and spoke through the railings to a copper, telling him that the police should be ashamed of what they had done. He addressed my point.

It still doesn't address people's potential motives for doing such. Someone may not be especially interested in XR, but is a frustrated costume designer, or has a good imagination and knows people who want to demonstrate in a novel or eyecatching way. Thus you get a professional looking outfit - but climate change wasn't the originator's principal concern - indeed knocking out the outfits would be worse for climate change than the demonstrators going in their everyday clothes. The designer gets gratification out of seeing his/her outfits being worn and being seen though. Very little is altruism.