400km in 24hrs.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tiggertoo

Re: 400km in 24hrs.

Post by Tiggertoo »

pwa wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 9:52am Cycling long distances in hot weather is not as daft is it might appear. At speeds above walking pace you have a breeze in your face, so evaporation and cooling do happen. It is when you stop that you feel the heat most. But over a hot day you need a good few litres of water. You cannot economise on water use. I'd be using a big bottle at least every hour, so if I only had two I'd be looking to top up every two hours. That can be problem, logistically.
Where I ride the temperature since May has been in the high 90's with high humidity. When I finish riding - 60 miles or more - I weigh myself and am usually about 3lbs lighter, which means 3 pints of bodily fluid loss. No matter how much I drink, I sweat copiously and can never stay adequately hydrated.

Some years ago doing Audax rides I would always use camelbaks but got out of the habit. It is though a good way to drink. I put electrolyte tablets in my bottles to help with salt, etc, which seems to be of use.

One thing I do find though is that after about 20 miles I find I have not got through one 24 ounce bottle, but for the remainder of the ride I get through maybe one bottle every 12 miles.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

So it was all going fine till the last 15miles when it went belly up.

Google routed me onto a minor road which the became unmade, then twang and a spoke snapped.

After I had a puncture.

The road become so unrideable I had to walk a couple of miles.

I finally came out on the main fordingbridge verwood home and powered home.

400k in 27hrs which with the heat and a 6hr stop in Derby, which I don't think was too bad. I much have stopped quite a few times because riding time was only 16h30.

Needless to say I'll take the train / coach home tomorrow!!

Highlights the cloud trail south of Derby.

The Fosse way

Churchhill grave.

Lesions learnt

don't ride in a heatwave....

Don't ride on your lightest wheels.

Do try and ride in company.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

A fantastic achievement, well done. 👏
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Annoying the temp is a little less today and a tailwind!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

15 MPH average, not bad. :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Been a bit ocupied at the mo.

Some of the local ctc club riders have just done the LEL 900+ miles, 1500K.
I believe 50% packed! Of all entrants in the event. Because of the intense heat.
One completed in 90hrs one in 85, 10 mph is a good overal rate.
Well done :)

If I am feeling fit then heat is not a problem, you sweat and then you cool down, but finding water on your own is always hard to find at the right time, 2L of fluid is the minimum carrying capacity I use for such rides.
24hrs I always self support except the fluid, saves time and you can eat when you feel like it.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=6617
Attachments
2022-08-14_235420.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 11:57pm Hi,
Been a bit ocupied at the mo.

Some of the local ctc club riders have just done the LEL 900+ miles, 1500K.
I believe 50% packed! Of all entrants in the event. Because of the intense heat.
One completed in 90hrs one in 85, 10 mph is a good overal rate.
Well done :)

If I am feeling fit then heat is not a problem, you sweat and then you cool down, but finding water on your own is always hard to find at the right time, 2L of fluid is the minimum carrying capacity I use for such rides.
24hrs I always self support except the fluid, saves time and you can eat when you feel like it.

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=6617
Thanks for the encouragement!

I stopped regularly....

30hrs total time.

Excluding the the 6 HR derby stop in the Travelodge

24hrs cycling time ....

However my time on the saddle was only 16hours.

So 8 hours cooling down / eating etc.

I reckon that was double what I normally expect to take.

My AVG was 15.4 and total average 10.8

Which is even below Google AVG of 12mph which I usually expect including stops!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'm thinking it must be doable in a long day? Perhaps 18hrs with a decent tall wind?

Oxford for lunch, derby for tea and home for midnight?!!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:02pm I'm thinking it must be doable in a long day? Perhaps 18hrs with a decent tall wind?

One way to see if you are up for a 400K in less than 24 hours is to find a local Audax club, join Audax, and ride a 400K with them. Company and experience. Actual allowed time for an Audax 400K is 26 hours.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I should do finding one locally would be a challenge.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:02pm I'm thinking it must be doable in a long day? Perhaps 18hrs with a decent tall wind?

What you managed to do is quite some achievement. If you do the route south again and take note of lessons learnt then you’ll likely get a better feel for what’s possible, you might slightly alter / refine the route too. Could you do the lot in one day? Maybe you might, if you work up to it over several runs … but it’s a very very long way and a big ask of anyone’s fitness.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:44pm I should do finding one locally would be a challenge.
Start here: https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/new-to-audax/ and wade through it to find rides in your area.

Unlike in the US, British Audax's are run by bike clubs so you could expect a deal of support once you locate one.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jamesh wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:44pm I should do finding one locally would be a challenge.
https://audax.uk/choose-a-ride/calendar-events/