400km in 24hrs.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Icsunonove

Re: 400km in 24hrs.

Post by Icsunonove »

Jamesh wrote:Thanks that's great help.

Think I might kip a few hours to take the edge off the night, leave shepshed at day break.

Cheers James

Your plan sounds good. I'd suggest planning somewhere for lunch on the second day. If you're starting early with 150 miles to go I'd look for somewhere at around 80 to 90 mile mark. Sit down and have a fry up/all day breakfast! This will break the day up, give you something to aim for and set you up nicely for the final 60 to 70 miles.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Icsunonove wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Thanks that's great help.

Think I might kip a few hours to take the edge off the night, leave shepshed at day break.

Cheers James

Your plan sounds good. I'd suggest planning somewhere for lunch on the second day. If you're starting early with 150 miles to go I'd look for somewhere at around 80 to 90 mile mark. Sit down and have a fry up/all day breakfast! This will break the day up, give you something to aim for and set you up nicely for the final 60 to 70 miles.

Sounds good ill look at possible eateries. I don't begrudge eating whilst cycling as I would put £50 of fuel in the car without a thought!

This is my summer back up plan if I don't get to do lon las Cymru or nw500 which are unlikely as i did lejog last year!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Still thinking if doing this ride this summer.

Need to get a travel lodge are in-laws moved back to west country. Unless anyone in Derby area has a spare bed?!

Looking at mid July as taking my daughter down to visit castles this month.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Still thinking if doing this ride this summer.

Need to get a travel lodge are in-laws moved back to west country. Unless anyone in Derby area has a spare bed?!

Looking at mid July as taking my daughter down to visit castles this month.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Question is is it worth bringing bike back on the train or leaving it down there for a month or so??
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jamesh wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 10:14pm Still thinking if doing this ride this summer.

Do you need to book a hotel room?
It might be worth having a couple of accommodation options as back up (book them on the day via booking.com if you feel you need it) but for 400km, I'd just keep going. 16-18hrs total and about 14-16hrs moving time would be my estimate (for me, knowing how I ride and pace that sort of distance and obviously a bit dependent on weather).

My preference would be to have an early night then set off at absolute crack of dawn (maybe before, like 3am) - do the dark stretch first and then have the rest of the route in daylight, arriving in the evening. Shower, meal, bed!
Obviously if you're planning on setting off, riding part way then stopping at a hotel, ignore the above, you'll need to set off later!

I've done split rides before - I remember once doing 200km through the night (9hrs total time, 7hrs riding time), sleeping on a beach for a bit then doing another 150km in the daytime (5.5hrs riding, 7hrs total). I'm not sure I really felt any better for the lengthy break on the beach - think it was maybe 3am to 5am sleeping then setting off again at about 05:30.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The longest ride I ever did was 150m in 15h05m, with12h40m of that cycling, and 2h25m sitting at the side of the road eating. I started at 8:00, finishing 23:05. I would always get up at normal time and start from then, because that gives the maximum time cycling before you become sleep deprived.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think this centres on how you cope with riding alone in the dark. I don't mean being scared of ghosts round every corner but the effects of cycling through the night. I don't suppose everybody's body is like this but it can be a bit like a house at night when the central heating goes off etc. Being with the right group may counteract this.

I've only ridden 250+ miles once, in 1961 when I was sixteen, quite inexperienced and with little planning. That was Leeds To Callander then a few miles beyond. Say 257 in total.

I set off at 0600ish with an AA printed route (saying 251 miles to Callander) and little idea. That was midsummer so I had plenty of daylight when I made good progress but once it got dark I slowed right down. The last 5 or 6 miles beyond Callander in pitch black were probably slower than walking speed so I eventually arrived in the small hours having been "nearly there" at nightfall.

Most of my subsequent working life involved working rotating shifts so I know a bit about staying up all night, but unless you really know how it affects your style and can cope with it, I'd avoid it. I'd say get to bed early the night before, get up at the earliest light then go for it. The days are obviously longer in midsummer and typical night temperatures don't drop so much as at other times of the year but don't underestimate how cold you may get if you do ride through the night
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How far is 400km? :wink:

248.54848 Miles
https://www.calculateme.com/length/

I did an audax once, supposed to have been 160Km and 100miles. It turned out to be 116miles .......... and yes, I followed the route perfectly ............ unlike many other people. I overtook at least three groups twice or even three times as they'd taken short cuts. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:46pm How far is 400km? :wink:

248.54848 Miles

I did an audax once, supposed to have been 160Km and 100miles. It turned out to be 116miles .......... and yes, I followed the route perfectly ............ unlike many other people. I overtook at least three groups twice or even three times as they'd taken short cuts. :lol:
Audax organisers must not create a route that is too short - they can create one that is over distance.
There must be no short possible cuts.
I always tried to create routes that were as close to distance as possible - I once had a projected route rejected because a short cut had been found through a busy town centre instead of the quiet lane on my route.
The short cut took a km off the distance so instead of 200.5km (which I was pleased with) the length became an impermissible 199.5km.
I had to put in a "dog leg" and ended up with 204km.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:46pm How far is 400km? :wink:

248.54848 Miles

The OP seemed to be asking for experience-based advice on riding 250 miles AKA 400kms This is, by coincidence, a prescribed Audax distance, so that could be a good source of the gen the OP seeks. I don't think they are concerned about the accurate measurement of the proposed ride.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve done around ten 400s in my day. Earlier the start the better and always enjoyed the dark hours. I used to give in to that really sleepy period around 2am and try for a couple of hours shut eye. After that period the biggest challenge was keeping warm. Don’t underestimate how cold daybreak can be.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Paulatic wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 10:21am I’ve done around ten 400s in my day. Earlier the start the better and always enjoyed the dark hours. I used to give in to that really sleepy period around 2am and try for a couple of hours shut eye. After that period the biggest challenge was keeping warm. Don’t underestimate how cold daybreak can be.
Tell me about it....
.it got me on my last challenge running the leeds liverpool canal at about 2am...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

So I've got permission to ride it but.....

In the school holidays. So it's going to be warmer and less light.

Also suggested going both ways which I think is a bit much tbh. This will be my first 400 have done 300 previously on lejog

And trains will be expensive if not pre booked.

Did 70miles today tried to go slow but still did 16avg.

Perhaps I do first 80 at 16, second at 15 third at 14 = AVG 15mph. Total time AVG will be about 12mph.

Didn't fuel well roast dinner and a banana and orange!! Popped into garage for coke : and chocolate! :roll: :roll: :roll:
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jamesh wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 9:47pm Did 70miles today tried to go slow but still did 16avg.

Perhaps I do first 80 at 16, second at 15 third at 14 = AVG 15mph. Total time AVG will be about 12mph.
Average speed isn't a great way of pacing long rides due to how much it can vary with terrain and weather. If you're going to do "averages", you're better off with power.

Personally I think you're overthinking it; trying to do sections at X mph, sections at Y mph is just going to result in you riding along looking at your computer the whole way.

It's just a long day on a bike. Relax, take it in, you've got back up options if it doesn't work out (like booking a hotel room or getting on a train for part of the distance) and there's absolutely no shame in changing plans on the fly.

Make sure you've got decent lights and suitable clothing for rain or cold nighttime temperatures.