400km in 24hrs.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: 400km in 24hrs.

Post by thirdcrank »

Doing long rides means you get used to how you feel on long rides and not everybody is the same. eg Some riders find that breaking the distance into manageable chunks and just tackling one at a time is the best way. Not for me. As I get near the destination, my legs start protesting. Dividing it up just creates intermediate destinations for me.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks for the replies.

I was just thinking aloud really that if I want endurance I need to slow my pace down or will that happen naturally as I tire.

I need to do more long rides tbh.

Esp night rides.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Riding endurance versus racing requires mental relaxation. Long slow slogging with the ability to zone out seems to work for me. Riding with a companion also helps to while away the hours.

It HURTS, no question about that and one must be prepared to be uncomfortable and endure pain but still continue pedaling. It also helps to NOT have rescue options. Knowing that mummy (or others) will come and pick you up will not keep you in the saddle pumping away.

Soon though you will forget the discomfort and sweat and anger (I get angry and swear at every little wind blowing in the wrong direction and the crappy road surfaces and the dogs running loose as the night progresses) and you'll hate your bike - I've known riders to throw their bikes into a ditch - and even your riding companions if you have any who exhibit none of the pain your are feeling.

But it all passes away in a few days. The Result? You will be glad you did it, you might even boast about doing it to your mates, and pretty soon you'll be wanting to do it all over again. 8)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Anyone used the cloud trail out of Derby?

Looks a good way of getting out if the city South.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hoping to do this ride 12 - 15th July weather permitting.

Ride to Derby Friday night, stay at travel lodge ride to verwood Saturday ,

leave Sunday 12noon to derby back home Monday morning.

Wanting less than 10mph headwinds.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jamesh wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:10am Hoping to do this ride 12 - 15th July weather permitting.

you do mean August i guess :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

For me it is usually 254 miles in less than 24 hours. Starting at 7 Saturday morning finishing at around 3 Sunday morning pretty tired.
Most Audax riders do that and then if going on the the next level (600K in Audax language - well, it's French, so what can one expect?) ride another 125 miles to finish the whole thing within 40 hours.
Next year is the premier Audax event. PBP in August 1200K or 750ish miles in less than 4 days.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

foxyrider wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 7:57pm
Jamesh wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:10am Hoping to do this ride 12 - 15th July weather permitting.

you do mean August i guess :D
Sorry August covid brain!!
That's if covid dosent come back as my sister passed through yesterday and has now tested positive!! Doh!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tiggertoo wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 8:58pm For me it is usually 254 miles in less than 24 hours. Starting at 7 Saturday morning finishing at around 3 Sunday morning pretty tired.
Most Audax riders do that and then if going on the the next level (600K in Audax language - well, it's French, so what can one expect?) ride another 125 miles to finish the whole thing within 40 hours.
Next year is the premier Audax event. PBP in August 1200K or 750ish miles in less than 4 days.
My plan is to sleep for 6 hours during the night to save riding through the night?
Then 12hours riding the next day!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 8:58pm For me it is usually 254 miles in less than 24 hours. Starting at 7 Saturday morning finishing at around 3 Sunday morning pretty tired.
If that's the way you feel, Mr. Clarkson, I suggest you stay home and admire your own navel in Brexitland. PBP is French too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Jamesh wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 11:06pm
My plan is to sleep for 6 hours during the night to save riding through the night?
I've found trying to sleep for any length of time with a long ride ahead ends up with me shagged by the time the alarm goes off. Usually the next day I ride like a zombie. :oops:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:58pm

I've found trying to sleep for any length of time with a long ride ahead ends up with me shagged by the time the alarm goes off. Usually the next day I ride like a zombie. :oops:
What's you advice then? :?: :?: :?:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have done 400K in 24 several times normally napping on the grass verge.

I would suggest that after 12 hrs, assuming that you are riding in 2.5-3.0 hrs stints on the bike, you power nap (20 mins maybe 30mins laying down eyes closed), you might need to repeat again be fore you end.

If you start to struggle riding on a imaginary white road line, and the line widens to 12" you have gone too long and proper sleep is the only answer.

You may well be fit enough to spend 6 hours sleeping, or was that sleep 6 hours before the 24?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Jamesh wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:41pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 2:58pm

What's you advice then? :?: :?: :?:
Like Natural Ankling, I'm not sure what your suggested schedule is; but as for riding 400K in less than 24 hours, I just ride it. I don't know what your sleep reference is. I just start riding and don't stop to sleep until I finish riding - 400K under the belt.
My comment about sleeping is a generic one about trying to sleep before a big ride.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

No problem,

I thought you might have a golden nugget of wisdom in overcoming sleep deprivation on a long ride!

My circumstances are a little different in that I want to spend a little time with my parents before I return.