400km in 24hrs.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Re: 400km in 24hrs.

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote: 2 Aug 2022, 9:41pm What's you advice then? :?: :?: :?:
With a 6am start if you took Dave Yates wheel you’d be finished by 10:30pm :D

Personally I have used two plans on a 400.
Just keep cycling and I’d finish at 6am or
Stop for a few hours in the dead of night and I’d finish at 6am

Currently I think I’ll spread that out over 4 days :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Power nap at least once for 30 minutes during the ride / even twice for 20 minutes and you will feel fine.
After 12 hrs your apitite goes slow so you almost have to force feed youself after 12 hrs in.
Eating is important to avoid the bonk and rest part way through to avoid meltdown.

Good luck :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:08pm Hi,
Power nap at least once for 30 minutes during the ride / even twice for 20 minutes and you will feel fine.
After 12 hrs your apitite goes slow so you almost have to force feed youself after 12 hrs in.
Eating is important to avoid the bonk and rest part way through to avoid meltdown.

Thanks also at what temp would you consider not riding an audax? It's above 30 next weekend? Ride or not?!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 8:54pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 6:08pm Hi,

Thanks also at what temp would you consider not riding an audax? It's above 30 next weekend? Ride or not?!
That’ll depend on how you cope with heat. Remember it’s only hot through the middle of the day. Curl up under a hedge and have a nap.
Always remember a m8 of mine on a very hot PBP pulled up went behind a hedge and dropped his shorts to let the air flow hit is nether regions he was so hot. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Right it's on travel lodge booked for Derby Friday night. Gives me a place to stop for a few hours and refresh.

Any one want to join me for an hour or two or more, more than welcome!

Anticipated time at Oxford 12noon.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

James, I gather this ride is more of a whim rather than something like an Audax ride - we usually see K rides meaning Audax than just tootling along the road - so no time limit and no real reason to ride than - just because?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yes I guess it's because it's there two fixed points my house and my parents house. Bradford / verwood. Inspired by audax but not....

My dad turns 85 end of the month so about time I did it!!

Done lejog, c2c etc.

Not got the time yet for round the coast .. or Italian job....

Aim is to do it over 4 days 2 short Friday and Monday and 2 long Saturday Sunday with sleep over!

Hope that makes more sense.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

From a physical perspective doing the ride over several days makes sense to me and attempting it in 24 hours seemed like setting yourself up for some form of failure. However, unless you’re doing the ride for pleasure the economics of it seem in question. Coach travel isn’t great but it’s usually affordable and it will give you more time at your end destination, hotels and B&B’s cost money and quite a bit of it (more than paying for transport). I applaud your decision to cycle and wish you well, but the logistics make me wonder how well that option will serve you.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The logistics aren't an issue....

I could take car or my camper van and be there in 5hrs.

I will do that on the 10th sept hopefully to watch to TofB

But for me the ride is important to me!

Also there are many more scenic routes to ride but that isn't the point either.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jamesh wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 8:24am The logistics aren't an issue....

I could take car or my camper van and be there in 5hrs.

But for me the ride is important to me!
That was the situation I was hoping for, but peoples’ circumstances can vary enormously.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sheffield ATM 9pm 32 to go!!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Here’s hoping that the journey is going well. 👍
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cycling long distances in hot weather is not as daft is it might appear. At speeds above walking pace you have a breeze in your face, so evaporation and cooling do happen. It is when you stop that you feel the heat most. But over a hot day you need a good few litres of water. You cannot economise on water use. I'd be using a big bottle at least every hour, so if I only had two I'd be looking to top up every two hours. That can be problem, logistically.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I agree got two water bottles + whatever I pick up in shops like full fat pepsi etc.

Sotham ATM. Northerly wind which is good! Taken off long sleeves top and apply suntan lotion!!!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Pint and chips in churchhill pub!!

Where am I?!!