Bikes no longer permitted on western TGV services

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pq

Re: Bikes no longer permitted on western TGV services

Post by pq »

There are other options depending on exactly where you want to go. I live near Toulouse and sometimes use the TGV via Bordeaux to go to Paris but without my bike (no direct TGV line from here unfortunately). We still have a bike friendly sleeper service to Toulouse (from Paris Austerlitz) which continues south into the Pyrenees via Foix which for the cyclist on holiday is even more efficient than a TGV - that is if you're OK with ending up further east than Bordeaux. You can connect for Bordeaux in Toulouse from the sleeper train using TER services which are always bike friendly, and IC services which require a bike reservation (€10). I'm pleased bikes are allowed back on the TGV, but even then it may not be the best option.
One link to your website is enough. G
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pq wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 8:10pm There are other options depending on exactly where you want to go. I live near Toulouse and sometimes use the TGV via Bordeaux to go to Paris but without my bike (no direct TGV line from here unfortunately). We still have a bike friendly sleeper service to Toulouse (from Paris Austerlitz) which continues south into the Pyrenees via Foix which for the cyclist on holiday is even more efficient than a TGV - that is if you're OK with ending up further east than Bordeaux. You can connect for Bordeaux in Toulouse from the sleeper train using TER services which are always bike friendly, and IC services which require a bike reservation (€10). I'm pleased bikes are allowed back on the TGV, but even then it may not be the best option.
That's interesting.
I used the sleeper service from Perpignan in about 2014 - I understood that the service had been discontinued shortly after.
TBH the rolling stock seemed a bit dated but it was a very convenient service.
I usually go 1st class on SNCF (not massively more expensive) but had to use 2nd because that had the bike space.
pq

Post by pq »

The sleeper services in France were decimated a few years back, but the Toulouse one survived - final destination Latour de Carol which is in the Pyrenees on the Spanish border. It looks like most of the sleeper services will be reinstated at some point.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pq wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 2:05pm The sleeper services in France were decimated a few years back, but the Toulouse one survived - final destination Latour de Carol which is in the Pyrenees on the Spanish border. It looks like most of the sleeper services will be reinstated at some point.
Didn't know about that option. That station looks an amazing place, just outside Andorra too!

(you could ride round the Pyrenees a bit - maybe in/out of Andorra - then hop onto the Spanish train to Barcelona.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pq wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 2:05pm The sleeper services in France were decimated a few years back, but the Toulouse one survived - final destination Latour de Carol which is in the Pyrenees on the Spanish border.
Thanks for that.

From the Man in Seat 61:
https://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm#London ... ette_train

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
pq wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 2:05pm The sleeper services in France were decimated a few years back, but the Toulouse one survived - final destination Latour de Carol which is in the Pyrenees on the Spanish border.
Thanks for that.

From the Man in Seat 61:
https://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm#London ... ette_train

Jonathan
Cheers,

(Worth scrolling to the top straight-away to see the C***D Updates section, to avoid disappointment)
pq

Post by pq »

Yes, Latour de Carol is a very weird place (in a good way) and is a good place to start a bike ride, although I prefer to get off a couple of stops before and ride over the otherwise hard to access Col de Puymorens. I've ridden both east and west from there, although for both the best routes involve gravel. The train ride itself is spectacular towards the end including a 360 degree loop inside the mountain to gain height. It's really quite strange to be on a full sized train going up such a steep hill, topping out at over 1500m.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

simonhill wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 4:18pm Does anyone know why they are no longer permitted?

At a time when flying is being discouraged, what a crazy decision. I can fly from my local airport (Southend) to Bordeaux in just over an hour. Easyjet loves bikes because they are a good earner.
I watched a story where the Italian Frecce HS line now has a route from Paris to Milan. I believe the direct competition has made the TGV more efficient wary. BTW, Frecce does not take unpacked bikes
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MarcusT wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 5:24amI watched a story where the Italian Frecce HS line now has a route from Paris to Milan. I believe the direct competition has made the TGV more efficient wary. BTW, Frecce does not take unpacked bikes
The Man in Seat 61 compares the TGV and the Frecciarossa:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-route ... -train.htm

Jonathan

PS: I've just asked him to add that statement about bikes on the latter. The details are here:
https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm#Italy
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 9:05am
MarcusT wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 5:24amI watched a story where the Italian Frecce HS line now has a route from Paris to Milan. I believe the direct competition has made the TGV more efficient wary. BTW, Frecce does not take unpacked bikes
The Man in Seat 61 compares the TGV and the Frecciarossa:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-route ... -train.htm

PS: I've just asked him to add that statement about bikes on the latter. The details are here:
https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm#Italy
And had a reply!

He thinks that there might be some better news...

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Love that article on bikes on trains from seat 61. Always make sure info hasn’t changed of course but really useful for much of Western Europe.