Dawes Galaxy - Discs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dodger

Dawes Galaxy - Discs

Postby dodger » 14 Feb 2020, 11:21am

I'm thinking of fitting discs to my Dawes Ultra Galaxy. Anyone done this? Any tips?
In two minds whether to trade in for a newer tourer with discs and perhaps hub gears, but being Cornish, I hesitate to spend the necessary £££.

Brucey

Re: Dawes Galaxy - Discs

Postby Brucey » 14 Feb 2020, 11:45am

which year is it? This could make a difference; does the frame/ fork have suitable mountings for disc brakes?

FWIW if it doesn't have disc mounts, and you want good all weather braking, it might be worth considering SA drum brakes; these are designed to fit to bikes with frames/forks that were originally meant for rim brakes, and you can use the X-RDC model at the rear if you want to use a cassette type derailleur setup.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

horizon

Re: Dawes Galaxy - Discs

Postby horizon » 14 Feb 2020, 11:49am

Brucey wrote:which year is it? This could make a difference; does the frame/ fork have suitable mountings for disc brakes?

Yes, this confused me. If you can fit disc brakes it usually means that it already has them - if not then you can't. My Sardar is disc ready but came with V brakes but I wasn't aware of any other Dawes like that (the Spa Wayfarer has both).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher