Vitamin D - how much?

Jdsk

Re: Vitamin D - how much?

Post by Jdsk »

I've never understood why he's recommended so often. What do you like about his videos, please?

"Vitamin D and Immunity"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yVGmfivAk

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Free Vitamin D

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
OK so I applied for my free vitamin D on the web NHS page.
I received a email this morning and it will arrive in the next three weeks, I probably applied on the web at least 3 weeks ago.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Re: Free Vitamin D

Post by mjr »

What free vitamin D? Sunshine? Where is this web page? I will happily fill out a web page if it makes the sun shine ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As always... most people living in the UK can't get enough vitamin D from sunshine in the winter. (And IMNSHO probably not the summer either.)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/get-vitamin-d-supplements/

Jonathan
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Strewth, you're tighter than me!

It's less than £2.50 for a 3 months supply from Boots (less if you avail of the 3 for 2 offer) https://www.boots.com/boots-vitamin-d-9 ... -10145801/
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Pot of own brand multi vitamins from your supermarket of choice even cheaper, likely sufficient for anyone who actually goes outside a bit.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mjr

Post by mjr »

Stevek76 wrote:Pot of own brand multi vitamins from your supermarket of choice even cheaper, likely sufficient for anyone who actually goes outside a bit.

However, if you are taking some other meds, you can't take supermarket multivitamins because you can get too much vitamin A or C or calcium, plus high levels of vitamin K can interfere with some meds. Read the leaflets of any meds you take, or ask your doctor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If you choose a "multivitamin" product I strongly recommend checking the vitamin D content.

NHS recommended intake:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Many don't contain enough, eg for children:
https://adc.bmj.com/content/105/8/791

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

ambodach wrote:I get regular blood checks for all sorts of things. My liver function is just on the verge of not good. My latest batch of bloods showed a deficiency of vitaminD so I am now on a 90 day course of colecalciferol( vit D3) 3200u. Does not mean much to me but it is apparently the highest off the shelf available. Unless there are problems I mostly just do as I am told tho’ I stopped methotrexate which was not really needed since my rheumatic condition has if anything improved slightly.

Depends what you mean by 'off the shelf' but you can readily buy much higher doses than 3200iu.
Holland & Barrett sell 4000iu tablets off their shelves.
Various online sellers selling 10,000iu tablets.
Etc.
3200iu is probably a reasonable starting dose to take in winter though.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

2000iu tablet + 1400iu from cod liver oil + a good wide diet that hopefully provides some too.

taking vit d cured painfull hands for me - strange but true.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I was thinking of the partial dose provided with the reference to 'goes outside a bit', the need for the full 10ug possibly less likely to apply to a forum of cyclists of varying enthusiasm? It's not as if you get no vit D in the winter, it's that most people in normal times are stuck indoors for most of the daylight hours and the only significant diet sources are near enough just 'fatty' fish.

Good point on the meds, had been spoken from the privileged position of someone not on any. Obviously applies to vit D only or any other supplementation as well.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote:I was thinking of the partial dose provided with the reference to 'goes outside a bit', the need for the full 10ug possibly less likely to apply to a forum of cyclists of varying enthusiasm?

Yes, it varies with all sorts of factors, including the range of latitudes in the UK and how much skin is exposed.

But I think that we're now at a point where not supplementing as in the NHS advice isn't wise.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
But you should still seek professional medical advice before tanking up on vitamins?

I have a deficient immune system but my blood is checked regularly and vitamin d is what they look for, so I'm not sure why I ordered some vitamin d tablets :? :mrgreen: :lol:

Edited – that reminds me I've missed my blood test, I feel like crap at the moment, woke up aching, it's not very unusual but I need to talk to a doctor I think.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
But you should still seek professional medical advice before tanking up on vitamins?

I have a deficient immune system but my blood is checked regularly and vitamin d is what they look for, so I'm not sure why I ordered some vitamin d tablets :? :mrgreen: :lol:

There's no need for most people to seek medical advice before following the NHS advice on supplementation. But of course it's available if you have any concerns.

At the population level measuring vitamin D concentration before or instead of supplementing is a terrible policy.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thank you for that. Life is complicated isn't it?
...just thinking the same. It is a bloomin' miracle that the human's (or any animal, come to that!) mechanism works at all, ever!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)