Vitamin D - how much?

rualexander

Re: Vitamin D - how much?

Post by rualexander »

Stevek76 wrote: It's not as if you get no vit D in the winter, it's that most people in normal times are stuck indoors for most of the daylight hours and the only significant diet sources are near enough just 'fatty' fish.

in the UK and at other similar latitudes, you make virtually no Vitamin D from sunlight even if you are outdoors all day on a sunny day in winter with lots of exposed skin.
Dietary sources provide minimal levels and probably not enough to reach sufficiency.

UV_Winter-964x500.png
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just scan-read the whole of this thread as I've basically ignored it since it started.

I've never taken any supplements - ever in my life.

What are the symptoms of VitD deficiency?
Do we all in the UK have a deficiency?
If so, why isn't there a public outcry about it?
Why do NHS not promote it universally?

For me, a balanced diet, healthy exercise, a happy and content lifestyle, a social life, and keeping warm and clean, does it all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the effects of deficiency are common and important both to the affected individuals and to public health.

The NHS advice is out there and consistent. (It's also consistent with that in similar countries, with the exception of whether supplementation is better by compulsory "fortification" of food or by oral supplementation.)

Mick F wrote:For me, a balanced diet, healthy exercise, a happy and content lifestyle, a social life, and keeping warm and clean, does it all.

Those are all really sensible, but for many people in the UK they won't provide enough vitamin D. And the first time that most people find out that they're deficient is when something nasty happens, such as a fracture. That's unnecessarily late.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's worth noting that Guiness is good for you was debunked some time ago.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote:The NHS advice is out there and consistent.
Why therefore, are we not bombarded with info every single time we go to the surgery?

Why are there no posters and info stuff plastered on the walls when we go in?
Why has no doctor ever ever ever asked me or informed me that I need or should take VitD?

Folic acid in bread.
Fluoride in the water.

Why no VitD?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I've spent weeks and months at sea in the RN and rarely at all in sunnier climes. Spent weeks on end up in the North Atlantic without ever going on the upper deck. Even if I had, it was dark and dreary and rough, let alone ice and storms.
Mates of mine would spend months away in a submarine on patrol. Certainly no sunshine down there. :wink:

Why no VitD issued to RN servicemen?
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

More evidence of the benefits of not being deficient in Vitamin D in relation to the immune system and covid.
https://youtu.be/au6FKi8aAsA
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rualexander wrote:More evidence of the benefits of not being deficient in Vitamin D in relation to the immune system and covid.

I watched the first few minutes.

And I recommend spending the time looking at the original studies instead.

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

I read somewhere that vitamin D tablets differ greatly in absorption rates. The gist of it being the solid tablets are not as good as the squishy type tablets, which often contain olive oil. I have no idea if there is any truth in this absorption rate thing, would be interesting to find out.

However the issue i have with the squishy tablet type is the caplet always seems to be gelatine, a byproduct of the evil meat industry - made of boiled down animal bones, with is anathema to us vegetarians.

About a month ago i started taking 2 x 1000iu tablet of Vitabiotics D3 which comes as a small solid white tablet.
I take one with my morning porridge, and one with my evening meal.
I don't have a clue if they're doing me any good or not :D

Last edited by Debs on 5 Feb 2021, 12:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mick F wrote:PS:
I've spent weeks and months at sea in the RN and rarely at all in sunnier climes. Spent weeks on end up in the North Atlantic without ever going on the upper deck. Even if I had, it was dark and dreary and rough, let alone ice and storms.
Mates of mine would spend months away in a submarine on patrol. Certainly no sunshine down there. :wink:

Why no VitD issued to RN servicemen?

I bet Count Dracula doesn't need 'em either :P
ChrisDay

Post by ChrisDay »

To offer (a little) reassurance to Mick and others.....

You [i]might[i] have enough sunshine exposure to give good enough Vit D levels during the summer to get you through the winter when, in the UK, they will fall.

It depends on:

Time in the sun, partic midday sun - but careful, burning increases risk of cancer
Skin colour - if you are lucky enough to have more melanin and not burn you do need a lot more sun ( or more take Vit D - hard to get enough sun in Uk)
Amount of skin exposed to the sun
How effectively sunblock applied

So, a keen, pale skinned cyclist with significant amount of exposed skin could build up a lot of Vit D April - September.

The NICE and DH advice that a modest supplement is wise is based on the average person, who is indoors / covered up / using sun block etc. Having said that, the 400iu the NHS is suggesting is a modest dose and can be almost always be safely taken even by outdoors enthusiasts.

Summary:

Won’t do harm, may well do good, costs about 1p / day. (Won’t be enough for some)

Hope that helps
Chris
(In West Yorkshire - famous for its sunshine)
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

I avoid exposure to direct sunlight as much as possible, as I am a very fair complexion and burn easily. That doesn't mean staying indoors, but covering up as appropriate with clothing and sunblock.

Ever since childhood I have taken 10ml cod liver oil a day (a habit instilled by my mother) and it seems to do the trick. The one I use proclaims 200% NRV for vitamin D.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

xerxes wrote:I avoid exposure to direct sunlight as much as possible, as I am a very fair complexion and burn easily.

It's a fascinating and complex story... migration to higher latitudes, evolution of pale skin, migration to Australia, sunlight and skin cancer, Neighbours etc etc. It's possible we'll look back on Slip-Slop-Slap in the UK rather differently once we know more.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
rualexander wrote:More evidence of the benefits of not being deficient in Vitamin D in relation to the immune system and covid.

I watched the first few minutes.

And I recommend spending the time looking at the original studies instead.

"A third review into the link between vitamin D and Covid has been ordered by the UK health secretary as more studies suggest that having low levels of the “sunshine hormone” raises the risk of death.

"Matt Hancock has again asked the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice), which sets NHS England clinical guidelines, and Public Health England (PHE) to “re-review” their prior appraisals, after the authorities began “encouraging” people to take vitamin D supplements rather than merely “advising” it."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/feb/05/uk-covid-live-hotel-quarantine-delay-coronavirus-vaccine-cases-variant-boris-johnson-latest-updates

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I sometimes wonder how the human race has survived over the millenia if we 'need' all these supplements just to 'survive' in the 21st century.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!