Nutrak Slick eBay

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Nutrak Slick eBay

Post by Mick F »

Test ride complete.
Dry but cold, sunny intervals but with the threat of wintery showers.
Chucked it down with sleet and rain after I made it home though!

Out for an hour and a bit. 13.5miles.

First impressions are good ones.
The bike felt lighter and the steering was lighter too.

Max pressure written on the side is 100psi, so I put that in the rear, but (only) 80psi in the front.
As I said before, they measure 26mm wide, so maybe the lighter steering was due to a narrower tyre. Ditto the feel of the bike being lighter.

How these tyres get on with longevity, I can't know or comment as yet. I do know that a Moulton eats rear tyres and is quite light-wearing on the front ones.

I've spent £36 on a pair of Continental GPs and the rear one only lasted 1,200miles .............
This means a rear tyre at £18 last no longer than 67miles per quid.

Spent £42 on a pair of Continental Sport Contacts = £21 per tyre.
The rear one lasted 2,200miles = 105miles per quid.

So a rear one of these Nutrak tyres at £8 should in theory only last between 540 and 840miles. :lol:

We'll see eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

You simply MUST give us an update of how long they lasted, what problems (if any) you had.

So, in the name of science....

…...Get out there and ride, Ride, RIDE. :wink:

Then tell us all about it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'll be out tomorrow for a ride, and maybe another once or twice in the week.
Busy today (again) but I'm free all morning tomorrow.

I fancy a 30miler and I'll do a roll-out test. There's a slope and then a flat bit at a local carpark that I've used for comparisons before, so I know where I used to reach.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

No news yet from Mick F. :|
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Be dark soon, hope Mick F's not stranded on the moors with 2 blowouts on his budget tyres. :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm here, thank you! :D
Thanks for caring too.

Off and away at 9:30 but the weather was cold. Frost first thing, and then a little rain. Outside the house it was slippery and not cycle-friendly but by 9:30 it seemed fine though I was doubtful that the ride I had planned was safe as one or two deep valleys were on my route, so I decided I'd stay on main roads ............ so rode into Plymouth A390/A388.

20miles to town, a couple of beers and a packet of peanuts in Wetherspoon's, then back to Gunnislake on the train, then down the hill to home.

The tyres performed brilliantly generally, but my roll-out test was a bit pointless as there was a head-wind on the slope so the distance rolled was pitiful. Try again some other time.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Good to hear you're back safely Mick F!
mig

Post by mig »

so good when the forum is like this :D

ps. thanks to all forum users and especially the regulars in recent months. threads have given me something to read, appreciate & learn from over some testing times. #thumbsupsmiley
pps isn't the available cycle press just rubbish at the moment? adverts and ridiculous reviews. nothing in it to read.

moan over. crack on :D

positively hot tomorrow in cornwall innit? :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

'I've spent £36 on a pair of Continental GPs and the rear one only lasted 1,200miles .............
This means a rear tyre at £18 last no longer than 67miles per quid.'

MickF
If you add in the cost of chains, cassette, brake wear etc. it'd be cheaper to take the car :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, you are correct of course!

The "normal" person who rides a bike would ride it cheap as chips, but an enthusiast who rides a few thousand miles a year obviously has to spend good money to do it.

Just off the top of my head ............ tyres, chains, rims, cassettes, brake blocks, inner tubes, visits from the puncture fairy, tools, cleaning equipment, clothing including rain protection, helmets? (sorry!), shoes and cleats. All wear out eventually and some of them wear out with monotonous regularity.

I usually ride further than I drive per year, so it all adds up to be an expensive hobby.
I wonder how much other hobbies cost?
Golf for instance, or horse riding.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Yes, you are correct of course!

The "normal" person who rides a bike would ride it cheap as chips, but an enthusiast who rides a few thousand miles a year obviously has to spend good money to do it.

Just off the top of my head ............ tyres, chains, rims, cassettes, brake blocks, inner tubes, visits from the puncture fairy, tools, cleaning equipment, clothing including rain protection, helmets? (sorry!), shoes and cleats. All wear out eventually and some of them wear out with monotonous regularity.

I usually ride further than I drive per year, so it all adds up to be an expensive hobby.
I wonder how much other hobbies cost?
Golf for instance, or horse riding.

Don't forget sailing, must be about the most expensive hobby if you're into racing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly!
Cycling, even for an enthusiast won't break the bank maybe?

What is the cheapest hobby ............. or the most expensive?

Darts vs yacht racing?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a sort of update on these cheapo tyres.

Done a grand total of 90miles on these tyres.
Everything is fine so far.
Mick F. Cornwall
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

francovendee wrote:'I've spent £36 on a pair of Continental GPs and the rear one only lasted 1,200miles .............

MickF
If you add in the cost of chains, cassette, brake wear etc. it'd be cheaper to take the car :lol: :lol:

But you won't get the health benefits and don't forget the TAX, insurance & MOT, not to mention the service and wear (car tyres cost a LOT more than Bike one's & there's more of them).
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

nigelnightmare wrote:
francovendee wrote:'I've spent £36 on a pair of Continental GPs and the rear one only lasted 1,200miles .............

MickF

But you won't get the health benefits and don't forget the TAX, insurance & MOT, not to mention the service and wear (car tyres cost a LOT more than Bike one's & there's more of them).

I bet Mick's car gets serviced less often than his bike? :lol: :lol: