Nutrak Slick eBay

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Nutrak Slick eBay

Post by Mick F »

Are these tyres any good?
I have no experience of Nutrak tyres let alone 20" for a Moulton.

They seem dirt cheap so could be worth a punt for a pair?
I could buy two pairs for £8 each = £32.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nutrak-Slick ... 8e9494ad56
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Re: Nutrak Slick eBay

Post by peetee »

I have no first hand knowledge but 28mm seems very narrow.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

28mm is standard for the Moulton.

I was looking at Bromptons in Evans during the week. They all had 28mm on them too.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Hmmm. Best avoid slotted drain covers then! :shock:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

No idea Mick but would be interested to hear your report if you do buy some. I've just bought a couple of Contact Speed 28-406s for the Jubilee, almost equally cheap from Germany but obviously there's postage too:

Continental Contact Speed

Not ridden them yet but they are there for when the rear Durano finally becomes too square to ride. They do wear quick on a Moulton, especially if you've a touring load! As noted elsewhere I am coming to the conclusion that I am a tyre philistine, especially on a suspended Moulton, so cheap tyres might do me...
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've got one of the original Duranos on the front and a Conti Sport Contact on the rear.
I tried the Conti GPs but they wore out pretty quickly, in fact the rear tyre wears out alarmingly quickly. The Conti Sport is the last one of two I bought.

I've come to the conclusion that a Moulton is a hard bike to ride and it wears out tyres faster than I can pedal the thing! :lol:
All that lovely suspension makes for a brilliant ride, but the bike is heavy, and sluggish due no doubt to the suspension. Put me on my Mercian, and I feel like I'm flying!!!! :D

As the tyres (especially the rear) wear out fast, it seems to me that there's no point at all in spending 20 or 50 quid on a tyre.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-20-406/?size=28%2D406

£8 each will do me fine ............... but it looks like I have to bite the bullet here and report back. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my recent experience of Nutrak tyres (in other sizes) is that they usually perish within a year when fitted to a commuting bike. If you wear them out in that time anyway, then this isn't necessarily going to be a big issue.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wise words Brucey.

I'm only a heart-beat away from ordering four.

The trouble is though, since September last year, I've done less than 500miles. Can't be bothered to work it out exactly, but maybe it's 300 on Moulton and 200 on Mercian.

All due to the weather. Just chatting about it yesterday evening. We've not had two consecutive completely dry days and usually it's been pouring down. Worst weather autumn and winter I've ever seen. Not even cut the grass since August as it's like a quagmire out there.

Any road up, by not riding so often, the maintenance requirements have plummeted, and so has the wear on the tyres and rims. I bought two new rims in October 2009, and due to lack of miles, they may not be needed until October 2020! :roll:
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Not sure on Nutrak. I haven't heard of them since the early 90s.
I found the conti tyres factory fitted to my TSR were puncture magnets and ended up in the bin.

This site is good for recently priced tyres with duranos for £11.50 http://www.wrhpv.com/ukshop/tyres/406/index.html
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Gazza, but the shipping is over a fiver.
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 13.47.18.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ordered.
£32.23 for four Nutrak 28-406 tyres.

There's only two left now, so if anyone else wants some, they'd better hurry! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Fairweather

Post by Fairweather »

Brucey wrote:my recent experience of Nutrak tyres (in other sizes) is that they usually perish within a year when fitted to a commuting bike. If you wear them out in that time anyway, then this isn't necessarily going to be a big issue.

cheers

They've been making tyres for 40 odd years, admittedly not the most rugged of tyres, but they are good quality and lightweight. I seldom get a full year out of a commuter tyre.
rjb

Post by rjb »

My experience of Nutrack Marathons from twenty years ago was that they were very hard wearing. I would get 12k miles out of a rear 700c tyre. Downsides were they were slippery from new and you had to be careful for the first couple of hundred miles. Not the tyre to fit in the winter when they were spraying salt and mollasses on the road. Shouldnt be so much of a problem in warmer climes like Gunnislake but watch those descents initially until they have bed in. Sidewalls were an issue as they were lightweight and the carcass was thin but i never had an issue, usually wearing the tyre down to the canvass within 12 months. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:I just a quick look and is this the same thing on sale at Biketart?
:shock: :shock:
Even cheaper!
Free postage over £15 too! :shock:

Oh well, I've paid £32.32 for four and could have paid £21.60 and saved a tenner! :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall