Changing user name?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Changing user name?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Mar 2020, 8:54pm

I see BrynP has changed his user name.
To a man of metal!

What seems to have happened is that all his precious posts now carry the new user name.

I have not looked at how he did this but does that have to be the case if a user name is changed. That is all previous posts will carry the the new name and an old identity is totally lost?
Just curious.
Anybody know?

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Changing user name?

Postby Mick F » 4 Mar 2020, 9:23pm

He asked to change his username.
It was duly done, and his 12,000odd posts plus all his quotes have been changed too I understand.
Mick F. Cornwall

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 4 Mar 2020, 10:12pm

Took me a while thinking where the hell has this fellow cropped up from? :lol:
Looking forward to an update on the non de plume thread
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Mar 2020, 11:16pm

Thanks for explaining, mick.
"Precious" is a typo- should be "previous".

But I left it.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 5 Mar 2020, 9:42am

I changed mine a while back and everything else carried over.For many years I used the name NdP on all Forums but now I use a couple of different ones.
I tend to change mine every few years and on most Forums only the user name changes unless you delete your profile and start from scratch.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Mar 2020, 10:08am

I hadn't even noticed until I opened this thread - and I've even had a few PMs from the guy! Well, I don't read through my past PMs very often!

Not a Good Idea, in my view. Trolls might do this sort of thing, in order to conceal their nefarious habits, but BP isn't a troll. A very welcome contributor to this forum, in my view. I'd have preferred him to stick with his original name.

And that reminds me - back on the now-defunct ACF* you could change your username at will, without consulting the Admins. I even shed the "661-" part of my username, since it seemed to be the 'in' thing to do. With hindsight, I wish I hadn't.

And I got into a spat with two other "guys" (I hesitate to use the T-word) on ACF, who saw fit to swap usernames "for a laugh", to everyone's confusion. I remember complaining about this, and then it was I who got castigated by the apologies-for-Moderators on that forum. My sin? I suppose it's that of being a non-member of the 'clique', having a pop at members of the clique. Ah well - lesson learned!

On here, I've kept to the original. I did have an anonymous sign-on many years ago, on this forum, which didn't overlap with my present one, called "ratatouille". When I told Graham, he changed it to "661-Pete-Old" or something like that. But that account has long been locked.

*the feature was passed on to its successor YACF - I don't know whether that is still the case.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Mar 2020, 10:24am

Hi,
Why?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 Mar 2020, 11:29am

Mick F wrote:He asked to change his username.
It was duly done, and his 12,000odd posts plus all his quotes have been changed too I understand.

<FFE> retcon, making me wonder if my memory's failing (again)! Have mods no consideration for our mental health?
Last edited by Graham on 6 Jul 2020, 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: FFE . . .family-friendly edit
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Mar 2020, 11:46am

I don't mind Bp doing this. So long as it isn't done by too many people I can get my head around it. I won't be doing it myself though.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Mar 2020, 11:51am

Hi,
pwa2 even :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Mar 2020, 12:18pm

pwa wrote:I don't mind... doing this. So long as it isn't done by too many people I can get my head around it. I won't be doing it myself though.

Could get interesting if we were allowed to swap names as mentioned by Pete above (on other fora), fortunately we may not, that might tip my head over the edge :?
I think these fora are managed and organised just right, one reads awful things about some fora :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Mar 2020, 12:27pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't mind... doing this. So long as it isn't done by too many people I can get my head around it. I won't be doing it myself though.

Could get interesting if we were allowed to swap names as mentioned by Pete above (on other fora), fortunately we may not, that might tip my head over the edge :?
I think these fora are managed and organised just right, one reads awful things about some fora :wink:

Have a nice day Cyril.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Mar 2020, 12:35pm

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:He asked to change his username.

<FFE> retcon, making me wonder if my memory's failing (again)! Have mods no consideration for our mental health?

I refer the Rt Hon Member to my thread, 'ten mental health tips', there are rather more than ten on there now
I am taking my own advice: 'take a break'
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

peetee

Postby peetee » 5 Mar 2020, 2:23pm

Well I am Kernowdreamer on another forum but I should change that because I am living that dream now. :lol:
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.