The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

Post by Mick F »

Video doesn't work for me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 4 May 2022, 4:40pm Video doesn't work for me.
What computer and operating system were you using?

Please could others test and let us know.

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, it does now, but didn't before.
Apple Mac.

Thanks, I need to prise off the button top.
It didn't need a video or a link, just the words.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done it, but it is surprising how much force was required to lift the button off.
Putting it back on took a good whack.
IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Multi angle Allen keys and ratchet spanners are my favourites. I like the ratchet spanners with the ordinary spanner head one end and the ratchet of the same size at the other rather than the ratchet of different sizes at either end. Initial losten or final tighten with the ordinary end, legwork with the ratchet.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandriver wrote: 4 May 2022, 8:10pm I like the ratchets spanners with the ordinary spanner head one end and the ratchet of the same size at the other rather than the ratchet of different sizes at both ends. Initial listen or final tighten with the ordinary end, legwork with the ratchet.
With or without the angling head?

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

iandriver wrote: 4 May 2022, 8:10pm Multi angle Allen keys and ratchet spanners are my favourites. I like the ratchet spanners with the ordinary spanner head one end and the ratchet of the same size at the other rather than the ratchet of different sizes at either end. Initial losten or final tighten with the ordinary end, legwork with the ratchet.
I have a very nice Halfords pro set of those spanners. Great quality things.
Re other post, with angling head on ratchet end.
Sweep
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've got 2 of those halfords ratchet spanners with the angled head and very nice they are too. 13 and 15 mm, another of my tool collection found in the middle of the road. I assume a driver who had been working on his car engine had left them in the engine bay and gone for a test drive. :lol:

Ive got an extensive tool collection based on items recovered from the roadside. One i lost out on was a nice crowbar. Almost new. I was out for a ride on my best bike so picked it up from the road and hid it in the hedge. When i returned on my hack bike it had disappeared. :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Black & Decker Workmate is a tool I didn't know I needed until I got one. Mine's the one my father's workmates bought him as a retirement present in1988, but he never lived to use it himself.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

B+D Workmate I've had since the 80's wasn't used for 20odd years, so I took it to the re-cycling place in Tavistock expecting the totters to take it off me to sell.

Instead they told me to put it into the metal re-cycling skip as nobody wants them anymore. I removed the wooden bits and chucked the rest into the skip. The wooden bits I took home and cut up with a saw and turned them into "hot water" in the wood burner.

Sad, but true.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Re: The tools you never needed until you got then use a lot thread!!

Post by Psamathe »

rmurphy195 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 10:11pm Water pump pliers https://www.gassafetyshop.co.uk/Product ... ump-Pliers
+1

Never used them before I had any then got some and they are surprisingly useful (obvious that I didn't use them when I didn't have a pair!).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tim-b wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 6:36am Hi
Headtorch. Perfect for seeing into those shadowy nooks and crannies while working on the bike, I think that cables get thinner and clamp bolts smaller as I get older :)
Regards
tim-b
+1.

Brilliant things, useful in so many ways/places (DIY, camping, etc.)

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 4 May 2022, 9:28pm
tim-b wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 6:36am Headtorch. Perfect for seeing into those shadowy nooks and crannies while working on the bike, I think that cables get thinner and clamp bolts smaller as I get older
+1.

Brilliant things, useful in so many ways/places (DIY, camping, etc.)
Yes.

But I was staying in someone else's house last week and did some unplanned jobs, and it was the iPhone that saved the day as both level gauge and worklight.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Gun for expanding foam.
Night and day different to the disposable cans, from an impossibly messy job into a thing of precision and (almost) beauty.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Tool for holding brakes on rim whilst adjusting / fitting cables. ( Think it is called third hand tool)