The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Re: The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

Post by foxyrider »

I always struggled with removing cassettes with a chain whip so when cassette 'pliers' arrived i was over the moon! I have the Park version, changing sprockets has never been so easy.

Of course hard on the heels of that is my pair of quick link pliers, a joy to use and my Park red spoke key which is now @ 30years old.

Over the years i've added all sorts of stuff to the bike tool collection, special part specific stuff to invaluable everyday tools like cone spanners however i still have/use some kit inherited from my parents rising days, a couple of screwdrivers, a 4 size socket spanner both of which i used today. Some stuff is now pretty much redundant, my Stronglight crank bolt tool, Mafac brake adjuster tool and my collection of headset spanners haven't seen use in decades :lol: This week i realised i didn't have any needle nose pliers for a job so for all of £2.49 Lidl corrected that.

In the last 2 years i've added the following, all essential when you need them but an indulgence when you realise they've been untouched for @?$%kin' years!

Wheel jig
dishing tool
stress relief block (well i made that myself!)
breaker bar
needle nose pliers
circlip pliers
small cutters (for zip ties)
tyre fitting pliers
replacement 14/15 cone spanners (originals misplaced!)
adjustable plumbers wrench
micro driver and bits
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

simonineaston wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:51pm I've been able to improvise - just.
I do a lot of improvising too. Here’s a very long spanner I once made.

It didn’t work. Finally broke down and got a Park Professional Pedal Wrench, which was my revelation for this thread.

Cyclewala wrote: 6 May 2022, 7:18pm You don’t necessarily need a bench. A foot or so of roofing beam will do if the vice is mounted in the centre. It’s also more portable this way.
Thanks for the idea, maybe I’ll do that. A vice would’ve come in handy for some tough bottom bracket removals, and probably a few other things.

I have a rundown garage which theoretically could be used as a workspace, but for various reasons it’s a nonstarter. Most often I work in the great outdoors.

(Not on the grass though.)
Last edited by sussex cyclist on 6 May 2022, 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Years ago I had a hankering for a victorinix Swiss champ SAK. They were expensive and I was tight. Then one day I was in a shop that had a wide range of SAKs. I saw a cybertool model that was as big as the Swiss champ tool with more functions on it for a lot less. I got it and it's been used so much since then. From the pliers to the various bits they just work very well.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cyclewala wrote: 6 May 2022, 7:21pm Not necessarily a new purchase, but an old spoke bent into a U shape is great at holding opposing sections of a chain as you join the ends.

I struggled for years until I saw this little tip somewhere.
A secttion of wire coat hanger does the same job. If you choose the right section the bend is already there.
Richard M
Cardiff
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

richardfm wrote: 6 May 2022, 10:30pm
Cyclewala wrote: 6 May 2022, 7:21pm Not necessarily a new purchase, but an old spoke bent into a U shape is great at holding opposing sections of a chain as you join the ends.

A secttion of wire coat hanger does the same job. If you choose the right section the bend is already there.
My chain splitter comes with such a thing as part of it. My multi tool box thingy from topeak also has such a hook in it.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Beat me to it! I have a cut and bent piece of wire coat hanger in my on-board toolkit. I first did this around 1980; can't remember how I got the idea but I suspect it was either the CTC magazine or from something I saw advertised.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

freiston wrote: 6 May 2022, 11:27pm

Beat me to it! I have a cut and bent piece of wire coat hanger in my on-board toolkit. I first did this around 1980; can't remember how I got the idea but I suspect it was either the CTC magazine or from something I saw advertised.
Same here, mine has been in my toolkit so long that I don't remember where the idea came from. It was definately a long time before I built a wheel or replaced a spoke and had spare spokes lying around.
Richard M
Cardiff
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:51pm Understand. Mine stayed put in the back garden for all the time I had it. I now live in a modest 3rd story apartment, without it. Much missed... although with the advantage of experience and knowledge, I've been able to improvise - just.
I use an unattached bench vice just sat on the kitchen floor for various jobs. Will cope with all things except frame wrangling etc. Heavy thing. Got it from Lidl for about £15 I think.
Sweep
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

These tyre levers.
var.jpg
So much better than standard types, gets tyres back on without risk of pinching the tube. Works by leverage from the opposite side of the rim. Fits in a small saddle pack so easy to carry.
Chris F, Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
sussex cyclist wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:47pm
simonineaston wrote: 6 May 2022, 8:50am After much pondering on this subject, I think the answer is: a bench vice!
Really wish I had one of these. Alas no place to put it.
On Mick F's Workmate! :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

ChrisF wrote: 7 May 2022, 11:20pm These tyre levers.
var.jpg
So much better than standard types, gets tyres back on without risk of pinching the tube. Works by leverage from the opposite side of the rim. Fits in a small saddle pack so easy to carry.
Can also recommend these, good tyre levers can be a life saver!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Sweep wrote: 4 May 2022, 8:14pm
iandriver wrote: 4 May 2022, 8:10pm Multi angle Allen keys and ratchet spanners are my favourites. I like the ratchet spanners with the ordinary spanner head one end and the ratchet of the same size at the other rather than the ratchet of different sizes at either end. Initial losten or final tighten with the ordinary end, legwork with the ratchet.
I have a very nice Halfords pro set of those spanners. Great quality things.
Re other post, with angling head on ratchet end.
I haven't tried the ones with the angled head. I think I know what Santa will be bringing me this year.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandriver wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:07am
iandriver wrote: 4 May 2022, 8:10pm Multi angle Allen keys and ratchet spanners are my favourites. I like the ratchet spanners with the ordinary spanner head one end and the ratchet of the same size at the other rather than the ratchet of different sizes at either end. Initial losten or final tighten with the ordinary end, legwork with the ratchet.
I haven't tried the ones with the angled head. I think I know what Santa will be bringing me this year.
Does he know about Halfords' frequent offers and the membership discount?

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

iandriver wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:07am
I don't know who is paying santa but look out for offers.
I got mine on an offer.

edit - I see jdsk got there first.
Sweep
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 7 May 2022, 11:58pm Hi,
sussex cyclist wrote: 6 May 2022, 5:47pm
simonineaston wrote: 6 May 2022, 8:50am After much pondering on this subject, I think the answer is: a bench vice!
Really wish I had one of these. Alas no place to put it.
On Mick F's Workmate! :P

My bench vice is bolted to a spare Workmate vice thing, so when I want to use it I swap it for the removable rear jaw
Richard M
Cardiff