What has the bike stuff fairy brought you today?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: What has the bike stuff fairy brought you today?

Post by peetee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Is that an expensive 1200 LM light?

Yes. Although given the spec, run time and good reviews I read I didn’t think £20 (including a rear light) was expensive.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
peetee wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Is that an expensive 1200 LM light?

Yes. Although given the spec, run time and good reviews I read I didn’t think £20 (including a rear light) was expensive.

No £20 is not that expensive at all especially if you've got back light too.
Have you got a link for that? ta.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

My pleasure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07TJ4 ... UTF8&psc=1

And apologies. I under remembered by 99p. :oops:
gaz

Post by gaz »

To be honest it arrived a month ago but who's counting.
IMG_20200819_150321.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

gaz wrote:To be honest it arrived a month ago but who's counting.
IMG_20200819_150321.jpg

Still got mine from yonks ago. I use it for all sorts of things. Especially the super-slim adjustable spanner. The neoprene pouch has almost given up and the steel is a bit speckled here and there after being left without oil for a while, but basically it is as good as new. Lovely thing.
RickH

Post by RickH »

freeflow wrote:The bike fairy was supposed to bring me a lovely new frame and forks last Friday.

Unfortunately, having tracked me down the fairy found they'd forgotten to load my parcel into the fairy conveyance. Delivery rescheduled for Monday.

On Saturday...

Monday morning shows fairy hard at it having set of with my frame at 7:12 am...

Today...

Its only a 120 mile round trip......

That sounds a bit like my experience last week!

I'd ordered a new saddle (& spare brake pads while I was at it) from Tredz as I had broken a rail on the saddle on my main bike (so had pinched the identical model one off the front of the tandem as an interim measure).

Had a message on the morning of Friday 7th (sooner than their anticipated dispatch date when I ordered) saying it was being dispatched & giving tracking data with TNT. The tracking data simply said "Collecting" & anticipated delivery by 6pm on Monday (10th).

All weekend the info remained on "Collecting" but still with a Monday delivery.

On Monday the status changed to "out for delivery". But late afternoon it had changed to a "there was a problem" message. I got onto the live chat & found that they'd sent it out in a big truck that couldn't get down our way so I was told it would come out in a smaller vehicle the next day, Tuesday.

On Tuesday it was "out for delivery" again but late afternoon the message changed to a "we ran out of time" message.

Foolishly, perhaps, I did nothing but on Wednesday morning we were back to "out for delivery". I was getting hopeful until the message changed to the "there was a problem".

Back onto the live chat & found they'd sent it out on a big truck again that couldn't get through! Again!

I asked if I could pick it up from the depot & was surprised to be told yes I could get it between 7pm & 8pm that evening & they would notify the depot it would be collected.

So off I went & collected it.

At least for me it was only a 25 mile round trip!

The actually getting stuff delivered bit is what let's down the whole Internet shopping experience. :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
IanH

Post by IanH »

I've got a new TRP HY/RD front brake. Despite my best efforts, the old one would screech under severe braking and I've run out of patience! It had to go! So what shall I do with the old one?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

peetee wrote:My pleasure.

NEVER leave these batteries charging unattended. For that price the protection circuitry may well be under specced / inadequate, and li-ion batteries are real fire hazards. I use this sort of thing myself but am very careful not to forget or charge in a tin box.

I'd also always disconnect the head unit from the battery when not used for more than a day or two; the over discharge protection isn't always up to much either and I
killed one of my batteries by leaving it plugged in to the head unit. It trickle discharged past the point of no return.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

gaz wrote:To be honest it arrived a month ago but who's counting.
IMG_20200819_150321.jpg

I picked up one of those when doing a house clearance many years ago, only had the 14/15mm socket with it and I only kept it for the chain tool but I've got quick links on my chain and doubt the chain tool will work with current 11sp chains.
peetee

Post by peetee »

gregoryoftours wrote:
peetee wrote:My pleasure.

NEVER leave these batteries charging unattended. For that price the protection circuitry may well be under specced / inadequate, and li-ion batteries are real fire hazards. I use this sort of thing myself but am very careful not to forget or charge in a tin box.

I'd also always disconnect the head unit from the battery when not used for more than a day or two; the over discharge protection isn't always up to much either and I
killed one of my batteries by leaving it plugged in to the head unit. It trickle discharged past the point of no return.

Noted. Cheers.
paddler

Post by paddler »

peetee wrote:In anticipation of shorter days and reduced visibility and before the prices start to rise; 1200 lumens of loveliness.....

I think I have an earlier version of that, which my daughter bought me in error. It's mega bright!

Dave
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

20201028_140522.jpg

My thanks go to Many408 for the huret friction shifters and front and rear deraileurs. Really well packaged from half way around the world. I've never received second hand parts which are so new and so unbelievably shiny :-) I'm so tempted at the moment to rebuild my bike into a ten speeder!
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

afew days ago after 3 weeks or so delay pair of ICETOOLZ chain quick link pliers. I dont know how I managed without them.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycle tramp wrote:…. I've never received second hand parts which are so new and so unbelievably shiny ….

I don't remember those parts being that shiny when they were brand new BITD. Has there been some black magic at work....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

I bought this set of headset spacers:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/th ... -to-108mm/

I know, it's boring, but although I only need a couple of spacers, having this handy selection will really help me to fine tune the handlebar height. Perhaps we all ought to have a little bag of alternative spacers in a drawer.