Escooter trial to start

thirdcrank

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by thirdcrank »

Mixed messages here in a police media release after the death of an escooter user in Leeds who collided with a street lamp.

Grieving Family's Safety Warning Over E-Scooter Death, Leeds

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/new ... eath-leeds

The message from the bereaved family is about helmet wearing, but the police note that there's no trial scheme in West Yorkshire and so escooters are illegal on roads here
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Interesting interview on R4 Broadcasting House this morning with Edmund King (of AA) about e-scooter and the probable upcoming legalisation.

He said he was in favour of them and accepted that e-cars weren't going to solve congestion.

However, the interesting bit is he thought wider segregated cycle paths to accommodate e-scooter would be a good idea. Given the general hostility to cycle paths by the motoring fraternity, maybe e-scooter could turn the tide.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

There’s something stirring in the undergrowth, because I’ve seen e-bike people getting heavily into wider bike paths too (Facebook has decided to serve me e-bike stuff, despite me not owning one), but, there is a but to go with it: they also want the power-assist speed limit lifted to 20 mph, and the power limit lifted to 500W, so what they really seem to be in favour of are moped lanes.

TBH, given a choice between batting out with e-mopeds, and batting it out with cars and lorries, I’d rather do the former, but I’d rather not be in that kind of arms race at all.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I bump along gently next to some folk here in Bristol who you could call alternative - you know the sort - ex-punks, folks as have 'locks & tats yadda yadda one of them showed me his fat tyred 'leccy scooter at the week-end, which he explained, could do over 50mph...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Authorities in Rome are to impose new electric scooter rules, such as restricting use to adults with ID, after a number of crashes and near-misses in the city.":
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -incidents

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An important reminder of the advice
si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more
Loosely translated as "When in Rome, watch out for Vespas and Lambrettas" (or are they the wrong sort of scooters?)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 3:57pm "Authorities in Rome are to impose new electric scooter rules, such as restricting use to adults with ID, after a number of crashes and near-misses in the city.":
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -incidents

Jonathan
That's highly aspirational, I'd say :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 30 May 2022, 8:22pm I bump along gently next to some folk here in Bristol who you could call alternative - you know the sort - ex-punks, folks as have 'locks & tats yadda yadda one of them showed me his fat tyred 'leccy scooter at the week-end, which he explained, could do over 50mph...
Ex punks?
Must be pretty old
Damn OAPs.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 5:48pm
simonineaston wrote: 30 May 2022, 8:22pm I bump along gently next to some folk here in Bristol who you could call alternative - you know the sort - ex-punks, folks as have 'locks & tats yadda yadda one of them showed me his fat tyred 'leccy scooter at the week-end, which he explained, could do over 50mph...
Ex punks?
Must be pretty old
Damn OAPs.
"Never trust a hippie."
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Mick F wrote: 29 May 2020, 9:13am When we've visited Benidorm ............ late November holidays .............. been there a few times.
There are eScooters up and down the prom, and in and out of the town streets.

Last one we saw when we were there last, was here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.53664 ... 312!8i6656
Weaving in and out of the shoppers and tourists.
No-one batted an eye.
Yes - I live in Spain and there are large numbers of escooters in constant use around my area, both hire and private. My experience to date is that almost all seem to co-exist OK with the rest of the road users. I’ve seen the odd ‘maniac’ on one (usually young women) weaving in and out of traffic on a dual carriageway and giving the finger to anyone who dares protest, but few and far between.

However, it is also my perception that most Spanish youths at least are brought up to have more respect for others than their UK counterparts, so perhaps that automatically extends to escooter users, too.

Incidentally, we also benefit here from a far greater police prescence - Guardia Civil, Traffic and Local, which may go some way to explain why the majority tend to behave themselves. I’m not saying its paradise, but certainly a nicer environment than much of the UK.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When is Grant Shapps going to make his decision on e-scooters. It just goes on and on. Meanwhile I usually see a few everyday in a no trial area. Normally ridden on the pavement or bike path.

The police turn a blind eye. Saw a sit on one (which presumably will be illegal) on the pavement as he passed 2 cops walking the other way. They just ignored it.

I'm in favour, but we need to get this sorted as anarchy is growing. I've seen an increase in powerful electric bikes (not e-bikes), more akin to small motorbikes.

Finger out Grant!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 8:13am When is Grant Shapps going to make his decision on e-scooters. It just goes on and on. Meanwhile I usually see a few everyday in a no trial area. Normally ridden on the pavement or bike path.

The police turn a blind eye. Saw a sit on one (which presumably will be illegal) on the pavement as he passed 2 cops walking the other way. They just ignored it.

I'm in favour, but we need to get this sorted as anarchy is growing. I've seen an increase in powerful electric bikes (not e-bikes), more akin to small motorbikes.

Finger out Grant!
I don't think that there are any dates or commitments or statements that answer that question.

The closest might be:

"Future of Transport regulatory review: call for evidence on micromobility vehicles, flexible bus services and Mobility-as-a-Service":
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -a-service
Last updated 24 November 2020

with a master page of:
"Future of Transport programme":
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... -programme
Last updated 3 February 2022

Jonathan
WrightsW5

Is anyone trying to stop cycle lanes from becoming motorised vehicle lanes (escooters)?

Post by WrightsW5 »

I read this from Halfords:

"The UK government are running trials of rental operations through 2020-2022, in selected major cities. These pilot programs could potentially pave the way to a version of the UK in which e-scooters are generally legal for use on roads and cycle lanes,"

I have very few encounters of them passing me from behind a very high speed and it is worrying, the reason why it hasn't been more is because the big danger currently is that they are 99% on the pavements, why I have been walking and had many many near misses, being passed at high speed from behind, I know that if I had decided to go into a shop and buy something at that moment they would have gone straight into me. I think it will mean the end cycle lanes if the government tells motorised vehicle drivers to use them.
thirdcrank

Re: Is anyone trying to stop cycle lanes from becoming motorised vehicle lanes (escooters)?

Post by thirdcrank »

WrightsW5 wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 2:23pm I read this from Halfords:

"The UK government are running trials of rental operations through 2020-2022, in selected major cities. These pilot programs could potentially pave the way to a version of the UK in which e-scooters are generally legal for use on roads and cycle lanes,"

I have very few encounters of them passing me from behind a very high speed and it is worrying, the reason why it hasn't been more is because the big danger currently is that they are 99% on the pavements, why I have been walking and had many many near misses, being passed at high speed from behind, I know that if I had decided to go into a shop and buy something at that moment they would have gone straight into me. I think it will mean the end cycle lanes if the government tells motorised vehicle drivers to use them.
That's a small extract from a much more detailed explanation, which seems to cover the subject quite thoroughly.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/advice ... Ni4wLjAuMA..

Bearing in mind the explanation of the current restrictions, it's a source of some amazement that they advertise what looks like a range of at least eight models
Jdsk

Re: Is anyone trying to stop cycle lanes from becoming motorised vehicle lanes (escooters)?

Post by Jdsk »

WrightsW5 wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 2:23pm I read this from Halfords:

14 pages of discussion here: "Escooter trial to start":
viewtopic.php?t=137701
including the official statements about the trials.

Jonathan