Escooter trial to start

simonhill

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by simonhill »

Found this from Kentonline on my news feed.

"E scooter trial in Canterbury to end after two years.

Electric scooters will soon vanish from Kent's streets as a decision has been taken to end a controversial trial of the divisive vehicles.

The politician overseeing the trial - KCC's cabinet member for transport, Cllr David Brazier - says he decided to "truncate it before someone was seriously hurt”."

Surprised that the illustrious Cllr Brazier hasn't noticed the number of people seriously hurt by motor vehicles and decided to "truncate" them.

The DoTs continued trial period is crazy. Someone needs to get their finger out and make a decision.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonhill wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:23am Found this from Kentonline on my news feed.

Electric scooters will soon vanish from Kent's streets as a decision has been taken to end a controversial trial of the divisive vehicles.

The politician overseeing the trial - KCC's cabinet member for transport, Cllr David Brazier - says he decided to "truncate it before someone was seriously hurt”."

Surprised that the illustrious Cllr Brazier hasn't noticed the number of people seriously hurt by motor vehicles and decided to "truncate" them.

The DoTs continued trial period is crazy. Someone needs to get their finger out and make a decision.
Perhaps this is just one more policy decision which has been in the "pending" tray while Boris Johnson's successor was chosen. Compared with some of the other stuff in there like fuel prices, it's not a pressing item. imo
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonhill wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:23am Found this from Kentonline on my news feed.

Two years and nobody seriously hurt sounds like a successful trial to me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

KentOnline 10 September 2022:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury ... ts-273296/

Kent County Council, last update 6 May 2022"
https://letstalk.kent.gov.uk/escootertrial

but it does have more details of the trial than I've seen for any other:
https://ehq-production-europe.s3.eu-wes ... 37b63e2ac4

I don't think that the DfT has ever published how they will evaluate the trials.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonhill wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:23am

Cars are popular, scooters aren't. Politics is about what's popular and what people will vote for, climate change would have been fixed long ago otherwise.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

For escooters in general the deaths are way too many https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& ... ooter#ip=1
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I hope to goodness there isn’t ‘read across’ to other places, because they seem to work well where I live in MK, the only issue being that they get ‘dumped’ all over the place at the end of trips.

I’m sure if pushbikes had just been invented, there would be a controlled trial of those, and they’d get banned!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 2:22am For escooters in general the deaths are way too many https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& ... ooter#ip=1
Of a general Google search this one seems helpful:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-in ... s-reported
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 2:22am For escooters in general the deaths are way too many https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& ... ooter#ip=1
Way too many? Relative to what?

From the article Bonefishblues linked
While the number of collisions increased significantly from 2020, initial reporting shows that e-scooter riders are more likely to hurt themselves rather than others
TBH, while people complain about them being left all over the place, here, they seem to work pretty well in Norway. They seem to replace walking or bus trips, rather than car trips, but I haven't seen any statistics on this, and I do see private ones on the train sometimes. They certainly make the use of public transport more convenient, which I think is a good goal.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We have had hire scooters in Taunton ever since we moved here. I see no problem with them on the roads but you do see them whipping along the pavements and quite a few non hire ones too. In my 80th year with a slight deterioration in my balance I fear pavement scooterists. I think there should be huge fines for any pavement cyclists or scooterists as a deterent. £500 seems about right and a jail term for causing injury.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vorpal wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 8:58am They certainly make the use of public transport more convenient, which I think is a good goal.
Good point.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:52am I think there should be huge fines for any pavement cyclists or scooterists as a deterent. £500 seems about right and a jail term for causing injury.
Not unless pavement motorists have penalties raised to at least that!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

On pavements, I think the law should differenciate between a pedal cycle and an electric motorscooter where the person can move at constant high speed with no effort. Worse are (what seem to be?) them electric alleged bicycles that are like massive mountain bikes, with massive motors well over 250w, motorbikes disguised as bicycles that should have number plates, ved, mot, licence, helmets, being ridden on pavements. There ought to be a law about their visual construction, so an electric motorbike actually looks like a motorbike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 6:40pm There ought to be a law about their visual construction, so an electric motorbike actually looks like a motorbike.
They seem to look like motorcycles to me, based on a cursory search for the term?

https://www.google.com/search?q=electri ... =800&dpr=2

I think that legislative intervention to regulate appearance is impractical tbh.
hemo

Post by hemo »

It is just not only escooters or ebikes on pathways, it is the illegal parking of a car also on pathways whether two or four wheels are on them. Parking on pathways means a driver has had to illegally drive on said pathway and should also receive an equall fine, £250 a time should be enough to discorage most then every time someone is caught for the third time it should double and so on.