Escooter trial to start

WrightsW5

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by WrightsW5 »

It took me half a minute to find this, 500w and 750w versions, legally a motorbike, or at least moped,

https://www.zhsydz.com/48v-500w-750w-hi ... tric-bike/
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

hemo wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 8:55pm It is just not only escooters or ebikes on pathways, it is the illegal parking of a car also on pathways whether two or four wheels are on them. Parking on pathways means a driver has had to illegally drive on said pathway and should also receive an equall fine, £250 a time should be enough to discorage most then every time someone is caught for the third time it should double and so on.
With escooters and ebikes on pavements it seems that car drivers now think they also can do what they want on pavements, I see them driving longer distances on pavements before getting on the road, driving on pavements to go around a traffic jam on the road, parking on the pavement as blockingly as they feel like it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:37pm
With escooters and ebikes on pavements it seems that car drivers now think they also can do what they want on pavements, I see them driving longer distances on pavements before getting on the road, driving on pavements to go around a traffic jam on the road, parking on the pavement as blockingly as they feel like it.
I think it much more likely that this bad driving habit has spread from places like Norfolk where it was already common, rather than having much to do with escooters.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:27pm It took me half a minute to find this, 500w and 750w versions, legally a motorbike, or at least moped,

So you'd regulate via Statute to ensure there were motorcycle fairings on that, or what exactly? I'm interested to understand your proposal.

Or maybe random testing might be better, or perhaps regulation such as that which has been applied to another seller, detailed on a thread here, whereby they have to recall all of their motorcycles - or over-power e-cycles, or mopeds - choose your term?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The man from Kent CC who is banning e-scooters from Canterbury was on The Today program this morning. He sounded like a posh version of Rees Mogg.

He was allowed to give a long winded statement about how HE decided they were too dangerous after one person (named) was hurt.

He was not challenged in any way. The simple question of how many hurt by cars, could have deflated his pomposity. Sadly not.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonhill wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 9:40am The man from Kent CC who is banning e-scooters from Canterbury was on The Today program this morning. He sounded like a posh version of Rees Mogg.

He was allowed to give a long winded statement about how HE decided they were too dangerous after one person (named) was hurt.

He was not challenged in any way. The simple question of how many hurt by cars, could have deflated his pomposity. Sadly not.
Heard that this morning too. He says people seem to know he's from Kent because he can hear them muttering "Kent" when he walks past.
I am here. Where are you?
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 9:10am
WrightsW5 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:27pm It took me half a minute to find this, 500w and 750w versions, legally a motorbike, or at least moped,

So you'd regulate via Statute to ensure there were motorcycle fairings on that, or what exactly? I'm interested to understand your proposal.

Or maybe random testing might be better, or perhaps regulation such as that which has been applied to another seller, detailed on a thread here, whereby they have to recall all of their motorcycles - or over-power e-cycles, or mopeds - choose your term?
Anything to stop the lawbreakers, maybe a fixed £1000 fine and the illegal motorbike thrown into a car crusher, if caught, by, as you said, a random check, or something, as mentioned, to visually distinguise these motorbikes being ridden on the pavement. Retailers required to sell them registered with a number plate. Maybe a required type of sound emitting from the motor by law.

Suppose someone was manufacturing petrol engined 50cc motorbikes, less powerful than some illegal electric motorbikes, based on a mountain bike frame, with the chunky downtube as the petrol tank and the engine disguised as much as possible above bottom bracket area and most of the exaust pipe being through a chainstay, and people were riding these on the pavement, would society do nothing?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

WrightsW5 wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 12:29pm Suppose someone was manufacturing petrol engined 50cc motorbikes, less powerful than some illegal electric motorbikes, based on a mountain bike frame, with the chunky downtube as the petrol tank and the engine disguised as much as possible above bottom bracket area and most of the exaust pipe being through a chainstay, and people were riding these on the pavement, would society do nothing?
Actually that is exactly how mopeds came to be as we know them today.

The original concept of a moped was for a power assisted push bike. And they were originally designed just like that - with a small petrol engine bolted on to what was essentially a pedal bike. the 50cc limit at the time guarunteed low power and the regs still require pedals. Then as engine technology improved the Japanese manufacturers started to make things that were to all intents motorbikes (still with 50cc engines which were much more powerful than when the regulations were written) pedals that could be (and invariably were permanently) folded away, and a frame, wheels, suspension and the like which looked just like a motorbike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have not read all the posts.

Forget high power escooters.

Two days ago I saw two young children outside my house, riding trikes that were electic (the one wheel at front type, toy really) In the road with no care of any other road user, just riding around like it was a playground.
They could not have been more than 7 years old.

I wonder where the parents are.......................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 5:47pm Hi,

Two days ago I saw two young children outside my house, riding trikes that were electic (the one wheel at front type, toy really) In the road with no care of any other road user, just riding around like it was a playground.

Probably at home where parents used to be before helicopter parenting became expected by society and enforced by busybodies.

Did you never play in the street? Did you never build stuff which, in hindsight, was probably not very safe? If not, then I suspect either you're younger than me or grew up somewhere much posher!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I had a Honda SS50 in the 1970s, it looked visually like a motorbike, nothing like a bicycle, and people treated it like it was a motorbike. No way I could have got away with riding it on pavements constantly.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

WrightsW5 wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 7:43pm I had a Honda SS50 in the 1970s, it looked visually like a motorbike, nothing like a bicycle, and people treated it like it was a motorbike. No way I could have got away with riding it on pavements constantly.
So you want motorbike trappings such as fairings, big wheels, full-length saddles and the like because overpowered e-cycles used on road are just like hiding a motor in a frame and putting an exhaust through a chainstay?

I'm puzzled by your proposition, as I'm also unconvinced that this is a 'burning platform' for the Legislature - because I simply haven't yet seen the data to support your assertion.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 5:47pm Hi,

So you saw some children playing in the street. That's a good thing.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 7:51pm
WrightsW5 wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 7:43pm I had a Honda SS50 in the 1970s, it looked visually like a motorbike, nothing like a bicycle, and people treated it like it was a motorbike. No way I could have got away with riding it on pavements constantly.
So you want motorbike trappings such as fairings, big wheels, full-length saddles and the like because overpowered e-cycles used on road are just like hiding a motor in a frame and putting an exhaust through a chainstay?

I'm puzzled by your proposition, as I'm also unconvinced that this is a 'burning platform' for the Legislature - because I simply haven't yet seen the data to support your assertion.
I didn't say that at all!!!!!!!!! I said some way of electric motorbikes that are breaking the law by being ridden on the pavements being visually seen as not a bicycle, however that might be done, or by strict punishmemt for breaking the law with them.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The logical piece of visual distinction would be to put identity markers on compliant e-bikes, rather than non-compliant ones, so that anything not carrying the marker would attract enforcement attention, and since it is flipping hard to distinguish pushbikes from e-bikes, one would probably put markers on them too.

But, I can already hear the howls of outrage at the idea of e-bikes having to display ‘MOT discs’ or the like, let alone pushbikes carrying ‘pushbike certification’!