Escooter trial to start

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I suppose you could be just walking across the road, And get mowed down by a vehicle as many people have, you don't need to be on two wheels.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... gn=KARANGA

"Teenage girl on e-scooter dies in crash with van in east London"
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 22 Mar 2022, 11:00am, edited 2 times in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NA
Your first sentence is confusing :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Perhaps NA means "You could be just walking across the road and get hit by a van and killed" (regardless of whether or not you're a fourteen year old girl). :?:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I've edited my post above for clarity :oops:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 10:31am Hi,
I suppose you could be just walking across the road, And get mowed down by a vehicle as many people have, you don't need to be on two wheels.

But do you negate you or your next of kin's claim if what you were using as transport was an illegal mode?

If someone simply steps onto the road in front of a vehicle without looking and is hit and injured or killed by that vehicle,if it's proven the vehicle driver is without fault then s/he's not liable for injuries incurred.
If the injured/dead party is proven to have been using an illegal transport means,their or their dependent's chances of claim are substrantially reduced.

I'm not saying who's at fault in this case but to use an illagal transport means,if this was indeed the case,leaves the defendant's claim wide open to the other party's counter claim.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 6:05pm

But do you negate you or your next of kin's claim if what you were using as transport was an illegal mode?

If someone simply steps onto the road in front of a vehicle without looking and is hit and injured or killed by that vehicle,if it's proven the vehicle driver is without fault then s/he's not liable for injuries incurred.
If the injured/dead party is proven to have been using an illegal transport means,their or their dependent's chances of claim are substrantially reduced.

I'm not saying who's at fault in this case but to use an illagal transport means,if this was indeed the case,leaves the defendant's claim wide open to the other party's counter claim.
A civil claim for compensation would be judged on its merits. There isn't an absolute effect of "doing something illegal".

(That word "fault" might get in the way of discussing this.)

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 6:12pm
reohn2 wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 6:05pm

A civil claim for compensation would be judged on its merits. There isn't an absolute effect of "doing something illegal".

(That word "fault" might get in the way of discussing this.)

Jonathan
It all depends on circumstances of an individual case,but(that word again)if someone's riding an ilegal cpvehicle thingsnmay take on a different slant.

I've no legal training nor claim none,I'm just looking at it from a logical POV
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I understand what R2 and JDSK are both saying.
There's a lot of grey areas here in apportioning blame, you have to consider an illegal mode of transport, but you also have to consider a young naive person?

Claim for damages in the civil court it's probably another matter to be discussed elsewhere.

Whoever is driving the vehicle in any case of pedestrian or illegal mode of transport where injury or death occur, is always going to face stress before and after any case in court.

We do here lots of cases were criminals attempt to make counter claims against persons they are doing harm or theft.
Morality seems to go out of the window in some of those cases.
jimlews

e scooters legal ?

Post by jimlews »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The University of Salford’s Acoustics Research Centre has received additional funding to continue its work to develop a universal sound for e-scooters, operating in partnership with Dott, an Amsterdam based micromobility operator, and the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)."
https://www.salford.ac.uk/news/new-fund ... nd-project

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Latest "news" clearly signals that will be made legal but with greater regulatory effort, including I suspect helmets, which will no doubt carry forward to bicycles.
I really must try one.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

TBH, I’d be happy if privately-owned ones were legalised, because 90% of the grief caused by the trial where I live relates to hire scooters simply abandoned by their hirers wherever they fancy. These then end-up standing or, worse, lying on shared-use paths and become a “danger to navigation” for cyclists, wheelchair users, visually impaired people etc. The owners of all the illegal ones, of which there are plenty, look after theirs.

But, that does need to go with tight regulation of power capability through design and at the point of sale.

IMO, a worse problem than scooters are de-restricted e-bikes ridden on shared-use paths. There is an entire sub-culture of de-restriction, with its own supply chains, forums, pages on Facebook etc, and the speeds attainable with zero effort make de-restricted bikes ridden by idiots (which is pretty much axiomatic) bl@@dy dangerous.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"IMO, a worse problem than scooters are de-restricted e-bikes ridden on shared-use paths..."

Yes. Many seem to have learned their close passing skills in unmarked vans. I'd prefer sharing with m'cycles - at least an audible warning of approach.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We have had a local E scooter trial running since we moved here last summer. Generally they are not a problem. Mostly used by young people. You do see the occasional moron riding on the pavement. And there are occasional illegal ones which mainly seem to use pavements. I dont have a problem with them because a single bus journey costs £3 which to me is outrageous.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 9:07am We have had a local E scooter trial running since we moved here last summer. Generally they are not a problem. Mostly used by young people. You do see the occasional moron riding on the pavement. And there are occasional illegal ones which mainly seem to use pavements. I dont have a problem with them because a single bus journey costs £3 which to me is outrageous.

Al
Therein lies a very relevent problem in the UK today,when public ​transport is run as a profit making business and not as a public service,people are forced to use other means,and in a world of convenience people will seek the most convenient way to get to work.
Unfortunately if that mode is illegal enough people will use it if it saves them money they can ill afford to spend,especially in the current economic climate.
Some may say why not cycle?
The e-scooter beats the bike hands down for short haul convenience,no pedalling involved(especially if you have a physical job or you're on your feet all day),or public transport doesn't meet the needs of the public(think unsocial hours working),plus you can fold a scooter up and maybe fit it in your locker,under a desk or propped up in a corner of an office at work and can be tucked away anywhere at home.

Public transport should fill the needs of the public IMHO and needs a good looking at by people with joined up thinking and the public in mind,with a view to changing it for the better,meeting the needs of the public and not those who currently run it.
W H Auden