Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rareposter

Re: Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Post by rareposter »

Bsteel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 12:49pm
Thinking about this I was looking at solutions not reliant on cards or phones such as a QR code on a dog tag or bracelet. The idea appeals as like the phone you can keep the on-line information up to date. However, I'm not sure I'd want to trust personal information to a random start-up company with a sticker printer and a website. Has anyone any experience of these products or companies ?
While you can get dogtags and similar emergency info things made quite easily - for example: https://www.icetags.co.uk/ - it doesn't need to be that complicated. Mine is a piece of paper the size of a credit card, laminated. Knocked it up in 5 mins in Word, printed it off. If any details change (like next of kin phone number etc), I can do another table in a couple of minutes and reprint.

It lives in the phone case I always have with me when I go riding. At some point, if I end up in a morgue with people going through my pockets, it'll be found. Ambulance crews are trained to look for meditags (the bracelet things containing emergency medical info like "has a pacemaker" or "allergic to penicillin" but they're usually too busy trying to save lives to look much further than that or decipher tattoos.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bsteel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 12:49pm
Jdsk wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 7:58pm I'd encourage everyone to check what information they're carrying and what they're not. I'd include any relevant medical details in that list.
Thinking about this I was looking at solutions not reliant on cards or phones such as a QR code on a dog tag or bracelet. The idea appeals as like the phone you can keep the on-line information up to date. However, I'm not sure I'd want to trust personal information to a random start-up company with a sticker printer and a website. Has anyone any experience of these products or companies ?
The most well-known proprietary product is the Medicalert range:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MedicAlert

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If anyone wants this to work outside England they should be aware that the NHS number isn't a great identifier. There's a different system in each country of the UK, let alone abroad.

Jonathan
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Cugel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 1:29pm Your National Insurance Number is not any kind of secret and serves as an identifier only in the same way as your equally well-known everyday name. "Secure information" of the sort used in security routines to check identity is of a different class from common or public names and identifiers. Identity checking information should be kept secret, as far as is practicable, from everything but the security checking facility itself.
Very true, my use of the term secure was a little sloppy. I'm just mindful of the possibility of ID theft. Hopefully my NI number and NHS number should be unique ID unlike a name.
But I'll dial down my paranoia a notch.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:01pm The most well-known proprietary product is the Medicalert range:

Jonathan
That's the product name I'd been struggling to remember.
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:03pm If anyone wants this to work outside England they should be aware that the NHS number isn't a great identifier. There's a different system in each country of the UK, let alone abroad.

Jonathan
That's interesting I'd have guessed that the numbering would have pre-dated the NHS being split so would have continued from a central source.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bsteel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:38pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:03pm If anyone wants this to work outside England they should be aware that the NHS number isn't a great identifier. There's a different system in each country of the UK, let alone abroad.
That's interesting I'd have guessed that the numbering would have pre-dated the NHS being split so would have continued from a central source.
England moved to a new system in the mid 1990s. The new IDs are ten characters, all numeric.

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:01pm The most well-known proprietary product is the Medicalert range:

Jonathan
For the last 40 years I have been wearing an SOS Talisman necklace. As well as anything medical it has name and address, next of kin, passport number and other stuff too. All on shaped and folded piece of paper so is easily changed if/when circumstances change. For me it is for i.d purposes because so very often I have no i.d with me otherwise, and that was true 40 years ago as well.
https://www.sostalisman.co.uk/ also available in jewellers such as Samuels.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

tatanab wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:59pm For the last 40 years I have been wearing an SOS Talisman necklace. As well as anything medical it has name and address, next of kin, passport number and other stuff too. All on shaped and folded piece of paper so is easily changed if/when circumstances change. For me it is for i.d purposes because so very often I have no i.d with me otherwise, and that was true 40 years ago as well.
https://www.sostalisman.co.uk/ also available in jewellers such as Samuels.
That's a nice option.
rareposter wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 1:47pm [While you can get dogtags and similar emergency info things made quite easily - for example: https://www.icetags.co.uk/ - it doesn't need to be that complicated. Mine is a piece of paper the size of a credit card, laminated. Knocked it up in 5 mins in Word, printed it off. If any details change (like next of kin phone number etc), I can do another table in a couple of minutes and reprint.
Simple elegant solution, ultimately, I'm looking for a wearable but it's a sensible place to start.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Cugel wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 6:56pmMoreover, truly inattentive drivers still won't see you, because they're not looking. They're phoning, screen-gawping or staring deeply into the eyes of their passenger as they hold an intense conversation about last night's soap opera doings.
https://twitter.com/CyclingHull/status/ ... 0800305158
Cugel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 1:29pmfingerprint or iris pattern.....can be discovered and even emulated, once they become digits in a security checking system
There are 5 million US civil servants in need of new fingers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34346802
Bsteel wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 2:38pm

Jonathan
Caldw.png
Caldwells advice
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Cowsham wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 8:29am
tykeboy2003 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 10:36pm I've never really worried about the potential for serious injury - or worse - whilst riding my bike. However, in 2012 I came off and broke my left shoulder blade (nobody to blame but myself and a traffic calming feature I didn't see) and then in January this year I was assaulted by a bush on a stormy night on my commute whilst doing about 20mph resulting in a cracked skull, separated collar bone and a few cracked ribs.

I console myself with the thought that it could have been worse, I could have been driving and smashed into a lamp post or something. At least I'm still here and still cycling....
Did you ever get your separated collarbone fixed ?

I have a workmate who's just done his falling off a mountain bike -- ie ruptured the ac and cc joints so his collarbone sits high at the outboard end.

The horrible thing about it is that the NHS are not bothered about fixing it since he has a good range of motion on his arm but this surely must compromise the strength in that shoulder.

Being a young fit guy I'd thought it would be wise to get that sorted but he doesn't seem that bothered -- even at my age I'd pay to have it fixed, but despite being young and in a well paid engineering roll he's not going to. ??

I'm both saddened by the NHS response and puzzled by his indifference.
Hi, just seen your post as we were out of the country till monday. The separated collarbone is still separated. I don't suffer any pain or have restricted movement so it's really only cosmetic. They said at the hospital that if I wanted an operation to fix it I'd have to go private.

I was a couple of months short of my 64th birthday when I had my bump so I guess the NHS attitude to the injury is probably justified, I would think younger people than me would have a similar experience to me.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 2:01pm
Cowsham wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 8:29am
tykeboy2003 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 10:36pm I've never really worried about the potential for serious injury - or worse - whilst riding my bike. However, in 2012 I came off and broke my left shoulder blade (nobody to blame but myself and a traffic calming feature I didn't see) and then in January this year I was assaulted by a bush on a stormy night on my commute whilst doing about 20mph resulting in a cracked skull, separated collar bone and a few cracked ribs.

I console myself with the thought that it could have been worse, I could have been driving and smashed into a lamp post or something. At least I'm still here and still cycling....
Did you ever get your separated collarbone fixed ?

I have a workmate who's just done his falling off a mountain bike -- ie ruptured the ac and cc joints so his collarbone sits high at the outboard end.

The horrible thing about it is that the NHS are not bothered about fixing it since he has a good range of motion on his arm but this surely must compromise the strength in that shoulder.

Being a young fit guy I'd thought it would be wise to get that sorted but he doesn't seem that bothered -- even at my age I'd pay to have it fixed, but despite being young and in a well paid engineering roll he's not going to. ??

I'm both saddened by the NHS response and puzzled by his indifference.
Hi, just seen your post as we were out of the country till monday. The separated collarbone is still separated. I don't suffer any pain or have restricted movement so it's really only cosmetic. They said at the hospital that if I wanted an operation to fix it I'd have to go private.

I was a couple of months short of my 64th birthday when I had my bump so I guess the NHS attitude to the injury is probably justified, I would think younger people than me would have a similar experience to me.
Thanks for the reply. It does seem like if you get hurt there's no course of remedy offered unless you go private.

I try to mitigate the risks as best I can and I'm thankful I needed no surgery after my off last year ( apart from an anesthetic line in my back for pain relief (and keeping the muscles pulling ribs out of alignment each time they went into spasm ) for about 5 days -- broken bits healed naturally )

I wonder if there's any type of accident insurance that'll pay for treatment beyond just surviving the injury.
I am here. Where are you?
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Cowsham wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 8:06pm
Thanks for the reply. It does seem like if you get hurt there's no course of remedy offered unless you go private.

I try to mitigate the risks as best I can and I'm thankful I needed no surgery after my off last year ( apart from an anesthetic line in my back for pain relief (and keeping the muscles pulling ribs out of alignment each time they went into spasm ) for about 5 days -- broken bits healed naturally )

I wonder if there's any type of accident insurance that'll pay for treatment beyond just surviving the injury.
I've just returned from an extended tour of Europe in our motorhome. My wife was ill at the beginning of May and we spent a day (5 hours) in the hospital in Granada where she was CAT scanned and diagnosed with an inner ear problem. Something which had remained undiagnosed in the UK despite hospitalisations going back 6 years in which time she never had a CAT scan. Another example of the way the NHS is being underfunded by the Government and being forced into outsourcing services at a higher cost than doing these things in-house. All part of the Tory master plan to bring in an insurance based system like in the USA.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

My son paints his blood group on his mountain bike. Not sure if they makes much difference
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Dingdong wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 3:51pm My son paints his blood group on his mountain bike. Not sure if they makes much difference
Probably not. No-one's going to use that in choosing which blood products to give.

But see discussion above about bracelets etc.

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I have used a OneLife ID silocone bracelet for years.
https://onelifeid.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqa ... 24QAvD_BwE
I started back in my mountain biking days.The front of my tag has my name,DOB 2 emergency contacts and Penicillin allergy.There is also a 4-digit pin to my OneLife ID profile with all my medical history/meds etc.Some of the newer ones have a barcode so the Paramedic can just scan it.I also have a sticker on either side of my helmet stating I carry a OneLife ID.
It won't bother me if I'm dead but at least they'll know who to contact :lol: