Removing a chain quick-link without tools

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CJ

Re: Removing a chain quick-link without tools

Post by CJ »

Quicklink made easy.JPG
Quicklink made easy.JPG (24.72 KiB) Viewed 755 times
This is the method I always use, at home in the workshop as well as on the road. It isn't any fiddle, doesn't require any special tool (not even a bent nail) and always works. It helps with 8 & 9-speed if you pinch the sideplates together, then a light tap will do. Ten (and presumably 11) -speed quicklinks are supposedly single use and made tighter, so have to be hit harder and pinching doesn't help much with those, but the method still works.

NOTE: You need to hit the side of the quicklink where there's no slot at the end you're hitting - i,e. the outer side as pictured - and hit towards the slot. But most chainrings are thicker than their teeth and step outwards (as does this one) in a step that's sometimes big enough to stop my link separation process in its tracks! Accordingly I've learnt to position the link not as shown, but 'slot up' and tap the inward side instead, because there's rarely any interfering step on the back of a chainring. (I really ought to take a new photo, but I'm lazy and nobody's paying me to do this stuff anymore!)

So admittedly there's a bit of a knack to this method, but it isn't difficult and after a decade or so of doing it this way, never with any problems, I can't see any point in learning any other trick that may or may not work in some circumstances - or buying a special tool.

P.S. Ten-speed quick-links take quite a lot of force not only to open but also to snap back together. The best way I've found to effect the latter is to re-assemble the chain in little and little (less tension on it too, so what's not to like about that?), position the quick-link in the top run of chain with cranks horizontal, hold the rear brake and stamp on the forward pedal.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

CJ wrote:
Quicklink made easy.JPG
This is the method I always use, at home in the workshop as well as on the road. It isn't any fiddle, doesn't require any special tool (not even a bent nail) and always works...

Thanks CJ. Even though I think the 'bent nail' method is the easiest one to make work with only 2 hands (providing the quick link actually releases, which it has on my bikes so far) I've made a mental note of your technique for if/when I get a quick-link refusing to budge without greater persuasion.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lidl have some cheap pliers at the moment ( £2.49) that can be useful in removing the quick links

WP_20200831_13_24_56_Pro.jpg

The best is the long thin one. I did get the other and file the jaws down so they fit better
jb

Post by jb »

CJ wrote:Quicklink made easy.JPGThis is the method I always use, at home in the workshop as well as on the road. It isn't any fiddle, doesn't require any special tool (not even a bent nail) and always works. It helps with 8 & 9-speed if you pinch the sideplates together, then a light tap will do. Ten (and presumably 11) -speed quicklinks are supposedly single use and made tighter, so have to be hit harder and pinching doesn't help much with those, but the method still works.

NOTE: You need to hit the side of the quicklink where there's no slot at the end you're hitting - i,e. the outer side as pictured - and hit towards the slot. But most chainrings are thicker than their teeth and step outwards (as does this one) in a step that's sometimes big enough to stop my link separation process in its tracks! Accordingly I've learnt to position the link not as shown, but 'slot up' and tap the inward side instead, because there's rarely any interfering step on the back of a chainring. (I really ought to take a new photo, but I'm lazy and nobody's paying me to do this stuff anymore!)

So admittedly there's a bit of a knack to this method, but it isn't difficult and after a decade or so of doing it this way, never with any problems, I can't see any point in learning any other trick that may or may not work in some circumstances - or buying a special tool.

P.S. Ten-speed quick-links take quite a lot of force not only to open but also to snap back together. The best way I've found to effect the latter is to re-assemble the chain in little and little (less tension on it too, so what's not to like about that?), position the quick-link in the top run of chain with cranks horizontal, hold the rear brake and stamp on the forward pedal.

If only the chain were that clean when it needs separating on the hoof. :D
Cheers
J Bro
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mercalia wrote:Lidl have some cheap pliers at the moment ( £2.49) that can be useful in removing the quick links

The best is the long thin one. I did get the other and file the jaws down so they fit better

Just after Vorpal had mentioned using a Leatherman tool, I spotted Lidl were selling Crivit-branded copies extremely cheaply so I bought three of those. Not only do they fit the quick-link, they're really compact and have a load of other useful stuff on them. I don't mind leaving them permanently in the on-bike toolkits as they conform to my pub-bike policy of not having anything stupidly expensive that will attract thieves or break the bank if they do get robbed.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Old thread revival :D
Today I though I'd give the chain a good soaking. I've previously just grabbed the chain with gloved hands and wriggled the KMC quicklink apart - no such 'luck' this time! I tried a windlass made of a cable tie, and it broke. Out with the longnose pliers and after a bit of 'reshaping' they fitted nicely on the chain rollers - my hands were just bending the pliers and the link wasn't shifting. With one hand on the plier handles, and using a pair of huge water pump pliers on the business ends it eventually shifted. I don't think I'd have managed it at the roadside, even using rocks, although I'm confident that particular link will yield easier on another occasion (this was it's first removal)
Have they got tighter, or am I pedalling harder?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had similar issues with a SRAM 8 speed quick link. Using a pair of scissors with the plastic handles removed was tried but no amount of squeezing could get the SRAM link to separate. When I tried the pyramid on the chainring method and tapping with a hammer it opened straight away. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I must be buying different quick links to others, as mine always pop open just by grasping the chain either side of the ql and pushing together. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is definitely on the do-able side I would add though, that since I've started to use wax to lube my chains, the external parts are much much cleaner and easier to handle than of yore.
Another solution might by one of the very cheap, light, compact link pliers readily available off of ebay, which would slip in the edc toolkit real easy. They go for under a fiver.
screenshot of cheap pliers
screenshot of cheap pliers
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 1:24pm I must be buying different quick links to others, as mine always pop open just by grasping the chain either side of the ql and pushing together. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is definitely on the do-able side I would add though, that since I've started to use wax to lube my chains, the external parts are much much cleaner and easier to handle than of yore.
Another solution might by one of the very cheap, light, compact link pliers readily available off of ebay, which would slip in the edc toolkit real easy. They go for under a fiver.Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 13.18.35.png
Judging by the difficulty I had today, I suspect it would not be possible to open the quicklink with a small plier as shown. All my previous quicklinks that have opened without difficulty (just by hand, no tools) have been the same 8 speed KMC
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 1:24pm I must be buying different quick links to others, as mine always pop open just by grasping the chain either side of the ql and pushing together. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is definitely on the do-able side I would add though, that since I've started to use wax to lube my chains, the external parts are much much cleaner and easier to handle than of yore.
Another solution might by one of the very cheap, light, compact link pliers readily available off of ebay, which would slip in the edc toolkit real easy. They go for under a fiver.Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 13.18.35.png
I bought one of those a while ago for my onbike touring kit.
Am afraid that I had little joy with it.
Maybe I'll have another go - there sure isn't a lot of leverage with it - that's the mini for you - I do have a workshop bigger tool - once thought such things rather superfluous but I do now find it handy - can't help wondering myself if the things ARE getting tighter.
Sweep
bluespeeder

Post by bluespeeder »

I have found the secret is to get every last bit of grit out of the slots on each side with an old toothbrush then its possible to undo with fingers. This does mean you need to clean it to take it off to clean it! I think quicklink means quick to put on, not to take off.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

CJ wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 12:11pm Quicklink made easy.JPGThis is the method I always use, at home in the workshop as well as on the road. ...
I've used that method at home and it has worked provided I use an appropriate tool to do the hitting (toffee hammer). Never tried away from home but day rides and tours I don't carry a suitable tool to do the hitting.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've never tried it but thinking aloud, a loop of flexible wire round the rollers each aside of the quick-link, joined to a loop. Put some rod/screwdriver through the loop and turn and keep twisting and the loop should get smaller and smaller and then pull the 2 rollers together and open the quick-link?

Above is theory and undoubtedly daft but anything along those lines feasible?

Ian
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I examined the 2 parts of the quicklink earlier, and they have some burrs on them, which I made no attempt to remove - It certainly went back easier than it came off!
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Quicklink removal.jpg
A handy rock can be substituted for the mole grips.