Removing a chain quick-link without tools

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Removing a chain quick-link without tools

Post by RickH »

There's always these KMC tyre levers that join together to make a link tool.

Or the more expensive & "bling" option of Wolf Tooth combo pliers which have had some good reviews

_20200719_121500.JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The KMC levers/chainlink tool would be a worthwhile addition to the on bike tool kit at £5,at £14 they aren't worth it IMO.
I'm not going to comment on the Wolftool at £36 :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it works, the bulldog clip handle would be a good solution?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

RickH wrote:There's always these KMC tyre levers that join together to make a link tool.

as a weight weenie (hillwalking days) I like stuff that has more than one use, may be a little more deisign and it could also be a spoon a fork for when over-nighting.

Now I wonder where they would snap with my marathon plus?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Right - thanks for all the good suggestions. Apologies for the hangover-induced delay in feeding back. I finally got round to having another look at it and trying some of them out this evening and things took an unexpected turn... I found another YouTube video showing something very similar to the shoe-lace method I'd already tried. However this one was using an old length of gear-cable instead of the shoe-lace, and you had to make a little hook thing to take the tension out of the chain either side of the quick-link. I made my own hook-thing, by cutting the head off a long nail and bending it, as follows:

DSC_0016.JPG

With the hook thing in place (see below) I started to get ready to thread a bit of gear cable around the quick-link. However, before I threaded it, the quick-link fell apart. I played around with it a bit and found it would always fall apart if you just squeezed it gently with your fingers (so you're pushing the two flat plates of the quick-link towards each other) and slide the two halves left and right. This was on the same mountain bike, with the same chain and quick-link which I couldn't get to budge before. I assumed this was some sort of fluke, so had a go on my hybrid (as shown in the pictures) and exactly the same thing happened. However, on both bikes, when I tried to do it without the rusty nail hooked on, it wouldn't budge.

Later this evening, I was out mountain biking with a couple of mates - only one of whom was prepared to allow me anywhere near his bike with my rusty nail. It didn't work - couldn't budge it.

So it looks like I've found a free and easy solution for my two main bikes, but it doesn't work on every bike. I'd be interested to hear what the success rate is using this method for any of you lot.
Attachments
DSC_0015.JPG
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

My multi-tool has a chain hook which holds the chain together admirably.
Screenshot_20200721-002102.png
canamdad

Post by canamdad »

Sort of a modification on the shoelace idea, I carry a small section of spoke and slip each end through the link and then pull in opposite direction. I have a Park tool I use at home but the cut off spoke works as well and easy to cary on a ride.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

DevonDamo wrote:Right - thanks for all the good suggestions. Apologies for the hangover-induced delay in feeding back. I finally got round to having another look at it and trying some of them out this evening and things took an unexpected turn... I found another YouTube video showing something very similar to the shoe-lace method I'd already tried. However this one was using an old length of gear-cable instead of the shoe-lace, and you had to make a little hook thing to take the tension out of the chain either side of the quick-link. I made my own hook-thing, by cutting the head off a long nail and bending it, as follows:

DSC_0016.JPG

With the hook thing in place (see below) I started to get ready to thread a bit of gear cable around the quick-link. However, before I threaded it, the quick-link fell apart. I played around with it a bit and found it would always fall apart if you just squeezed it gently with your fingers (so you're pushing the two flat plates of the quick-link towards each other) and slide the two halves left and right. This was on the same mountain bike, with the same chain and quick-link which I couldn't get to budge before. I assumed this was some sort of fluke, so had a go on my hybrid (as shown in the pictures) and exactly the same thing happened. However, on both bikes, when I tried to do it without the rusty nail hooked on, it wouldn't budge.

Later this evening, I was out mountain biking with a couple of mates - only one of whom was prepared to allow me anywhere near his bike with my rusty nail. It didn't work - couldn't budge it.

So it looks like I've found a free and easy solution for my two main bikes, but it doesn't work on every bike. I'd be interested to hear what the success rate is using this method for any of you lot.

you don't need the hook thing for the windlass/tournique method to work

these quick link things vary, some come apart much easier if you nip them from the sides, others it makes no difference
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Eyebrox wrote:My multi-tool has a chain hook which holds the chain together admirably.
Screenshot_20200721-002102.png

You can make as many of those as needed by cutting up an old spoke or wire coathanger :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I've fairly recently bought a quick link tool, but before that with SRAM (I think) I just took the tension out of the chain then wiggled the link from side to side until it popped free. Bend it and it should push one side pin into the large hole to pop out. This wasn't easy, though.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-Chain-SRAM-Powerlink-removal/ gives a similar method.

I'm now trying to find a reference on how to do this, as I can't remember if it came with the quick link, online, or in one of my bike books.

With regards to taking tension off the chain, I realised the other week that taking the rear wheel out took all the tension out of the chain and made fettling a lot easier and avoided all the fiddling to get the link slack enough to be popped.

Oh, and the Park chain checker tool https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-checker-cc-2?category=Chain is very good for taking up the tension on a loop of chain if you don't want to remove the rear wheel.
However although it is light I doubt that it is in anyone's emergency toolkit!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I normally carry a mini Leatherman. It's the size of a pocket knife & includes small pliers. That's what I've used.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Vorpal wrote:I normally carry a mini Leatherman. It's the size of a pocket knife & includes small pliers. That's what I've used.

My rusty old bent nail does the job on my two main bikes, was surprisingly cheap and fits easily into my minimalist mountain-bike toolkit. However, that said - I've long considered shoving a leatherman (or cheap Lidl copy that I'll be less heartbroken to have nicked) in my toolkit as a pair of pliers and knife etc. are probably sufficiently useful enough to justify the extra weight and bulk.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

DevonDamo wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I normally carry a mini Leatherman. It's the size of a pocket knife & includes small pliers. That's what I've used.

My rusty old bent nail does the job on my two main bikes, was surprisingly cheap and fits easily into my minimalist mountain-bike toolkit. However, that said - I've long considered shoving a leatherman (or cheap Lidl copy that I'll be less heartbroken to have nicked) in my toolkit as a pair of pliers and knife etc. are probably sufficiently useful enough to justify the extra weight and bulk.

The pliers have come in handy many times. I've used them to remove debris from tyres, cut or break stuff, temporary repairs, etc. They also have a little wire cutter at the joint that, while it is not very good for cables, does work well for cable ties and that sort of thing. Also, it has normal pocket knife stuff, like a bottle opener, tiny file, etc. I used to carry it around in my pocket all the time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

I always manage to undo SRAM Quicklinks with my bare hands with a bit of wiggling and pushing the two sides together. It can take a minute or so to get a grubby chain link to play ball but they all come loose pretty soon. It helps if the chain is on the smallest sprocket and unshipped onto the bottom bracket shell to make the chain slack. Obviously you might want to protect paint on the bottom bracket shell if you do this.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I get my skin caught in them when closing them because you've got to keep them pushed together when they slide closed, well, open... apart.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.