Removing a chain quick-link without tools

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DevonDamo

Removing a chain quick-link without tools

Post by DevonDamo »

A couple of weeks ago, I managed to break my rear derailleur hanger and ended up wanting to remove the chain to make it easier to free-wheel the bike on the downhill sections to get home. I wasn't carrying any quick-link pliers, because (a) it's not realistic to try and carry every tool on local trips and (b) I'd seen a YouTube video showing someone doing it with your shoe-lace. The idea is you loop the shoe-lace around the quick-link, cross the two ends over and pull them apart so you're tightening the loop and forcing the two halves of the quick-link towards each other. Predictably, this worked great on YouTube, but when I tried to do it in anger, the thing wouldn't budge.

Has anyone had any success with the above method and if so, any tips on making it work? If not, are there any other ways to split a quick-link which don't require stuffing a pair of those pliers-things into a small toolbag?
DevonDamo

Re: Removing a chain quick-link without tools

Post by DevonDamo »

Thanks. I've had a look at the method mentioned in that thread (hooking the quick-link chain section onto a sprocket and whacking it with a stone) and it looks like it would be just as fiddly, and maybe unreliable, as the shoe-lace method. I've since found a video showing a slight refinement on the shoe-lace method, so I'll give both methods a go when I get a chance.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Pair of long / needle nosed pliers, and then press ends together with another standard pair of pliers (saves fingers in case it slips) - works for me
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've always found the Wipperman Connex quick links are very easy to dismantle. Sram and KMC routinely needing pliers
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

chris_suffolk wrote:Pair of long / needle nosed pliers, and then press ends together with another standard pair of pliers (saves fingers in case it slips) - works for me

Yep, that's not far off what I use in my workshop. However, I'm looking for a solution for when I'm out on my local mountain bike trail with a minimalist toolkit. I might end up resigning myself to the smallest pliers I can get, but I was hoping to find some clever nack to do it without.

gbnz wrote:I've always found the Wipperman Connex quick links are very easy to dismantle. Sram and KMC routinely needing pliers

Thanks - will take a look at those, but I've got a few bikes, all sporting KMCs, including spares in their toolkits, so it would be easiest if I could find a workaround for what I've got.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I'm sure it was on here ...... make a triangle (2 links on 2 teeth of chainring and press down.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, and it's linked above.

Jonathan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is supposed to be a method using a bulldog clip handle

not tried it myself

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

DevonDamo wrote: I've had a look at the method mentioned in that thread (hooking the quick-link chain section onto a sprocket and whacking it with a stone) and it looks like it would be just as fiddly, and maybe unreliable, as the shoe-lace method

The stone isn't compulsory (It can be any object that comes to hand) and it#s more of a stiff tap than a whack.
It isn't fiddly at all, so much so that I tend to use that method than bother looking for the specific tool.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

if you are strong it can be done by hand - sometimes!

I have used a stone (or other convenient hard thing) and the Multitool - being solid they tend to be more efficient than hands :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

DevonDamo wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I managed to break my rear derailleur hanger and ended up wanting to remove the chain to make it easier to free-wheel the bike on the downhill sections to get home.

Has anyone had any success with the above method and if so, any tips on making it work? If not, are there any other ways to split a quick-link which don't require stuffing a pair of those pliers-things into a small toolbag?

Personally speaking I always carry an emergency deraileur hanger, its lighter than a pair of pliers, and I've got a chain tool as part of my multi tool - that way if the hanger is really broken, I can split the chain, remove it from the deraileur, then wrap it directly from the chainring to the sprocket at the rear, shorten the chain before rejoining it and turn my bike into a single speed for the journey home.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
offroader

Post by offroader »

Tie the shoelace into a loop around the quick link. Then use a stick/Allen key to twish the loop tight Spanish windlass style.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

offroader wrote:Tie the shoelace into a loop around the quick link. Then use a stick/Allen key to twish the loop tight Spanish windlass style.

yes - that is the roadside solution, although I doubt a bit of wooden stick / twig would be strong enough, you do need a bit of steel like an allen key - I carry a bit of strong cord in my emergency pack for this very reason.

And I never knew that was called a 'Spanish Windlass' so thanks for that, I maybe knew it as a tournaquet thing ?

It also depends how often the quick link has been undone, a new one can be very tight, my chains are on and off a lot (sometimes after every ride in the winter) these quick links become very easy to take off.
Last edited by Pebble on 19 Jul 2020, 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Those pliers could be made far smaller. They could make something similar to a chain tool that screws in to compress the 2 rollers. Nothing exists.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.