Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
backnotes

Re: Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Post by backnotes »

KTHSullivan wrote:"The result was a cube that crumbled nicely."

Seems we having a bit of consensus here.

Turns out this important issue has also been a hot topic for debate on Gransnet, so you are not alone.....

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/food/12 ... these-days
KTHSullivan

Re: Has anybody else noticed that OXO cubes are not as crumbly as they used to be?

Post by KTHSullivan »

backnotes wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:"The result was a cube that crumbled nicely."

Seems we having a bit of consensus here.

Turns out this important issue has also been a hot topic for debate on Gransnet, so you are not alone.....

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/food/12 ... these-days

The plot thickens, I am starting to think it must have something to do with aliens. Or possibly something even more sinister; perhaps the chicken liberation front.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
uwidavid

Post by uwidavid »

I was intrigued by the comment on Glenryck pilchards as I've recently bought a few new tins and yes the tomato sauce is a yellowy orange. Also the calorie count has gone up and they are in a ring-pull can.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Back to 'OXO' cubes - not in our household (Do they contain actual meat - which would be a valid reason for us to avoid?). I suppose there's got to be a veggie version of Oxo somewhere, but for stock we generally use 'Marigold Swiss Veg. Bouillon' - available in most supermarkets - which comes in powder form so the crumbliness isn't an issue. And it works pretty well in soup etc.

Another 'plus' for us is that it doesn't list MSG in the ingredients. Does Oxo? There's long been a cloud of suspicion over MSG, though I believe the present-day consensus amongst the experts is that it's harmless - in reasonable quantities at least. Do others agree - or do you avoid the stuff, like we do?

Once or twice in France we've had no option than to buy Bouillon in cube form, and then - yes - they sometimes don't crumble very well. I can't remember which brands. Also most of them do contain the dreaded MSG...

I suppose, if we were really that dedicated, we ought to make our own stock by boiling fish bones or whatever. Although I fancy myself as a fairly decent cook, that'd really be a Bone Too Far...... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We always make stock from the carcass of any poultry that gets roasted - very nice it is too.

I think it's know that's gluten free for those who are allergic (fortunately I am technically intolerant rather than allergic)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote:Do they contain actual meat - which would be a valid reason for us to avoid?

Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Maize Starch, Yeast Extract, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate), Colour (Ammonia Caramel), Beef Fat (4.5%), Autolysed Yeast Extract, Dried Beef Bonestock, Flavourings, Sugar, Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Onion Powder.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254881051

Although meat-free versions are now available.

Fascinating history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27s_Extract_of_Meat_Company

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Do they contain actual meat - which would be a valid reason for us to avoid?

Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Maize Starch, Yeast Extract, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate), Colour (Ammonia Caramel), Beef Fat (4.5%), Autolysed Yeast Extract, Dried Beef Bonestock, Flavourings, Sugar, Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Onion Powder.
...whereas the one I mentioned above has:
"Sea salt, Hydrolysed vegetable protein (soya, maize), Potato starch, Palm oil (sustainable), Vegetables 8% (parsnip, onion, leek, carrot), Lactose (milk), Parsley, Celery seed, Turmeric, White pepper, Garlic, Mace, Lovage, Nutmeg."

This makes it gluten-free, I think. Oxo as listed above evidently isn't.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Winston

Post by Winston »

Chicken Oxo's just will not crumble anymore. I used to add them to flour as a KFC style batter but can't do it now.
I complained to Premier Foods several years ago. They claimed and I quote " For the cubes to be hard and difficult to crumble this would indicate that it has been compressed too much during the production process".
Why doesn't it happen to Beef Oxos ?
And why is it still happening even though they said " we passed to our Quality Assurance and Production Personnel for their attention"
Not enough attention as still NO crumble! .
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I swapped to them jelly jobbies when they emerged...
screenshot of stock pot image
screenshot of stock pot image
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 9:23am A Rick tip...boil new potatoes with a bit of Lovage..
A Mick tip .............. you can't buy Lovage any more or Shrub, or any of the other ones in the range as the company has finished trading.
Phillips-of-Bristol-Cordials-Range-600x600-1.jpg
https://www.farehamwinecellar.co.uk/phi ... -cordials/

......... or did you mean the herbaceous plant? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Modern Oxo cubes are a lot crumblier than the sticky ones back in the 1960s, but I wouldn't know if there's been a recent change, because I stopped using them and switched to Bovril instead a few years ago. The advantage of Bovril is that you can use exactly what you want instead of multiples of one cube.

My beef stew recipe (3 portions):

• 400g stewing steak
• 400g tinned tomatoes
• 130g parsnip
• 120g onion
• 110g carrot
• 100g frozen mushrooms
• 50g red lentils
• 15g Bovril
• 12g tomato puree
• 10g oil
• 10g flour
• 150cc water
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2.5cc rosemary
• 2 bay leaf
• 1.25cc black pepper

Up until about 6 years ago I'd never bought any herbs or spices, but I wouldn't go back to the bland stuff I used to eat now. These are the food flavourings I currently use/stock:

HP Sauce
Bovril
Worcester sauce
Tomato Puree
Tesco Paella
Tesco Cajun Spice
Basil
Bay Leaf
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Coriander Ground
Coriander Leaf
Crushed Chilli
Cumin Ground
Cumin Seeds
Garam Masala
Garlic Granules
Ginger Ground
Harissa
Marjoram
Mixed Herbs
Mustard Powder
Onion Granules
Oregano
Paprika
Paprika Smoked
Parsley
Rosemary
Salt
Thyme
Turmeric
Bisto
Fresh (frozen) ginger, lemon, chilli, garlic
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I prefer "Kallo" stock cubes - but they aren't very crumbly.