Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
crossy

Re: Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Post by crossy »

Another 50 done. It would have been more but I came off a couple of months ago and cracked a rib I didn’t ride any longer distances for about 4 weeks. Never knew sneezing could be so painful. :(
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
crossy

Post by crossy »

Got another funny one today Sodom. No village sign perhaps no one wants to admit to living in Sodom :D. I had to take a photo of the name from a map.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Gomorrah is another day?

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

crossy wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 1:31pm Got another funny one today Sodom. No village sign perhaps no one wants to admit to living in Sodom :D. I had to take a photo of the name from a map.
There is a Sodom Lane, which has a sign. There is also Sodom Corner, which I think has a sign on a railway bridge. In some cases it's spelt Sodem.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Imber should be open for access on the 30th.
There's an annual church service on the Saturday closest to St Giles' day (1st Sept), according to wiki
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

andrew_s wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 3:54pm Imber should be open for access on the 30th.
There's an annual church service on the Saturday closest to St Giles' day (1st Sept), according to wiki
Might have to try to ge there th day! Ca Can you ride in?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, you can ride in on the few days or weekends it's open. You can then also visit the church, which I think is all that remains of the original village. It's well worth visiting, even has medieval (maybe later but certainly old) wall paintings. However, you cannot wander round the block houses at the bottom of the hill on which the church stands, unless you're happy to run the risk of being shot/blown up/arrested!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 5:59pm Yes, you can ride in on the few days or weekends it's open. You can then also visit the church, which I think is all that remains of the original village. It's well worth visiting, even has medieval (maybe later but certainly old) wall paintings. However, you cannot wander round the block houses at the bottom of the hill on which the church stands, unless you're happy to run the risk of being shot/blown up/arrested!
had a chance to look now, check the website http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/events.html
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 1:31pm Got another funny one today Sodom. No village sign perhaps no one wants to admit to living in Sodom :D. I had to take a photo of the name from a map.
I was meaning to ask how you were doing, I think i've been to @ half the Wilts parishes up to now, keen to add Imber :D
crossy

Post by crossy »

I might see you at Imber on the 31 Aug as I don’t get many chances to get over there. I’ve got 167 so far 801 to go.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 1:58pm I might see you at Imber on the 31 Aug as I don’t get many chances to get over there. I’ve got 167 so far 801 to go.
Not sure what day i'll go, maybe Saturday will be quieter? anyhoo i'll see what the weather is doing :D
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’m riding back to Devizes from Marlow on the trike after a service on the Saturday so rest day Sunday I’ll see how my legs feel before I ride on Monday.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Only took me 15 months but now done 200 only 768 to go.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Go, Crossy, go!! We're right behind you :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 4:38pm Go, Crossy, go!! We're right behind you :wink:
+1

I might be a bit further on but the stuff to the far east/south will have to wait till at least the spring now, too far for a day ride from Brizz this time of year :lol: