Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonineaston

Re: Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Post by simonineaston »

I'd planned to get right stuck in to pottering about Wiltshire, once I'd the time, inspired by a couple of trips to Devizes and Pewsey with friends - but no sooner had I retired than I succumbed to a flock of minor ailments and then there was Covid so it all went on hold - but I'm better now! Wiltshire - here I come!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
crossy

Post by crossy »

This is my chance now Imber is open for 6 days just hope for good weather. Out this morning I can handle the rain it’s the head winds and chill factor that gets me. Had waterproof bottoms on but forgot over shoes couldn’t feel my feet when I got home.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
crossy

Post by crossy »

Another 20 done. I got Imber on New Years Day. One of them today didn’t have a village sign so I took a photo of the turn sign on the main road quite a few of the small hamlets don’t have signs.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 7:47pm Another 20 done. I got Imber on New Years Day. One of them today didn’t have a village sign so I took a photo of the turn sign on the main road quite a few of the small hamlets don’t have signs.
I've hardly been into Wiltshire this side of Christmas, and nowhere new for certain. Hopefully get in some eastbound rides in March that will add to my tally.

BTW, how many have you bagged now?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
crossy

Post by crossy »

220 long way to go yet (perhaps I should say long way to ride yet). Keeps me interested in riding it get a bit samey riding in the same place all the time.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 7:59am 220 long way to go yet (perhaps I should say long way to ride yet). Keeps me interested in riding it get a bit samey riding in the same place all the time.
you can say that again! Thats why i signed up to Wandrer, it 'makes' me search out roads i've not used, so often we don't use a road for some spurious reason or because we like the 'other' road better. Apparently i've now ridden just shy of 20% of all the bike accessible roads/lanes/paths/byways in Wiltshire so i've a way to go yet! :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
crossy

Post by crossy »

Do you have the paid version of Wandrer or the unpaid one?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 11:04pm Do you have the paid version of Wandrer or the unpaid one?
I admit to having paid :lol:
crossy

Post by crossy »

What’s the difference between the two? I’ve paid for Strava would I need to pay for Wandrer to get the full benefit. Oh dear I can see another obsession coming on. :D I have a large map of Wiltshire on a wall when I ride a road I mark it on the map using Wandrer would make it easier.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crossy wrote: 3 Mar 2022, 10:13am What’s the difference between the two? I’ve paid for Strava would I need to pay for Wandrer to get the full benefit. Oh dear I can see another obsession coming on. :D I have a large map of Wiltshire on a wall when I ride a road I mark it on the map using Wandrer would make it easier.
If you pay you get to take part in the monthly quest for new roads and get to see leader boards and can look at others coverage. It certainly lets you easily identify where you have/haven't been and i think you can use the Wandrer info to plan rides on the Strava platform (my current comp isn't up to that!)
crossy

Post by crossy »

First one for a while had covid so been off the bike for around two weeks. Didn’t have any oomph so been taking it easy. Went to Bath today got Box on the way there.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Tiddleywink used to be in Gloucestershire until a lorry drove across the edge of it and flicked it into Wiltshire.

When I started touring I had my sights on staying at every hostel in the YHA handbook. It was easy at the start, but the remaining ones got fewer and farther between, and they kept closing the ones I'd done and opening new ones.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
theflyingspanner

Post by theflyingspanner »

I know I’m late to the party, but can I say that I love this idea?! You are a genius.
Maybe you could also travel in the footsteps of the late Douglas Adams and tour the universe insulting everyone in alphabetical order?
crossy

Post by crossy »

Not just towns and villages, I now have Wandrer to track all the roads I’ve ridden. On Cycle Chat I’m in 52 cafes in 52 weeks they have to be different cafes. Anything to keep the interest. I’ve lived in Wiltshire around 50 years now so things can get a bit stale. I need things to spark an interest sometimes.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Another country today sorry I mean village, New Zealand only about 15 miles from home. I’ve already been to Ireland and Scotland locally. The next one i’ve found is Canada it’s 42miles away so need to practice for that one.