Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
crossy

Re: Towns and Villages in Wiltshire

Post by crossy »

I’m lucky I live in Devizes which is right in the centre of Wiltshire. If I lived on the edge of Wiltshire camping would of been a good idea.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What are the longest and shortest rides? May you visit Tyneham?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crossy

Post by crossy »

The farthest so far is 55 miles the shortest could be 2 miles (that one took me 20 miles) strange that isn’t it :). Is the Tyenham you mention the ghost village that’s in Dorset isn’t it? Maybe a longer ride out to visit it getting a village on the way.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, 'The village that died for England'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Yes, 'The village that died for England'

I think this is Imber, only open occasionally if the mod allow. :wink:
It used to be open on boxing Day, went for a look around one year with my sister who lived nearby. I found it very depressing.

Tyneham is on the jurrassic coast in Dorset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imber?wprov=sfla1
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What mad?e you choose Wiltshire-its not an obvious choice as the army have monopolised many routes?
crossy

Post by crossy »

I live there. :D
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

That make sense.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Went to Calne today. Came back to Devizes up over roundway hell of a hill up to Roundway from Heddington. Lucky I was on the recumbent trike GPS was showing 1 1/2 mph I would of fallen off on an upright bike or got off and walked.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I understand why you are doing one at a time, but what if you go through one that is on your list on the way to today's target? There are plenty that you could easily bag in a single ride, but avoiding 'unwanted' ones is a real challengre.
crossy

Post by crossy »

The only ones that count are the ones i take photos of. I went through 3 that could of counted to take the one I wanted. As I get older and it gets more difficult maybe my rules will change. I do Audax rides so this is a nice way to forget about the clock. 22 miles took me 3hrs 30min what with coffee and cake also stopping to chat to people on the way around, taking in the views it’s a nice way to relax. :D
toontra

Post by toontra »

May I suggest Corsham, Gastard, Neston, Whitley and Rudloe - all in the same vicinity.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for the reply.

When my friends started to try to visit every village, hamlet, etc in Essex, they got hold of an old turn of the century (19th > 20th) gazetteer. It listed many hamlets, etc that have been Incorporated into larger villages or towns. Often little sign of the original settlement as a separate entity, except for maybe an old church.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’ve had problems finding some village/hamlet signs but they are signed from a main road so I have used that or village notice boards. The village Ireland and Sleight had no sign but found houses with the name on it I found Little London on a gate post. I’ve found some villages I know exist not in the atlas index.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Got 3 today I think I’m going to change my rule and make it 3 a week not one per ride. The Strand, Hilperton, Staverton. Just riding around see a road and took it to see where I ended up just like a mystery tour. :D