Giving up!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
DaveP

Re: Giving up!

Post by DaveP »

simonineaston wrote:diamond frame - aka "the amusing, if cheap, anachronism foisted upon the unsupecting cycling community by the unimaginative UCI & their vested interest cronies"... :roll:
Imagine cars, stuck at 1904.

Oh, you mean the ones that, when you hear them coming, you still have time to finish crossing the road? :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
skelo

Post by skelo »

Trike is the way to go. I have done about 5000 miles with a paralysed left arm & leg. (e-assist required for hills)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

2 trikes just appeared in the 'for sale' section .
yelfordrover

Post by yelfordrover »

I had to give up my M5 CHR because of right knee pain as well. Turns out it was arthritis but I'm sure most of us have that. I use to always push off with my left leg so not sure why it's my right knee which is the painful one. I'm back on my DF as well, albeit with 150mm cranks (courtesy of Mike Burrows). I also have 140mm's on my mountain bike which feel even better. You're right that the major benefit is the much reduced knee angle at TDC. I also use a very lightweight leg warmer on the bad leg made from cut down tights from my better half.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I sold the Gaucho and retained the Fuego. (Really reluctant to let it go) After 3 months off the 'bents my knee felt much improved and I have been able to ride my DF bikes completely pain free. So I recently cautiously started to use the Fuego but I can feel a twinge returning. B***er! The worst aspect is having to abort launches at busy junctions. :oops: Ah well, back to the DF!
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I've put the Fuego up on E Bay. :( If anyone is interested and has any questions just ask.

Look after your knees!!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

swscotland bentrider wrote:I sold the Gaucho and retained the Fuego. (Really reluctant to let it go) After 3 months off the 'bents my knee felt much improved and I have been able to ride my DF bikes completely pain free. So I recently cautiously started to use the Fuego but I can feel a twinge returning. B***er! The worst aspect is having to abort launches at busy junctions. :oops: Ah well, back to the DF!

Sorry to hear that. Might be worth you trying even shorter cranks, say 140mm (Mike Burrows favoured length). Didn't you build the Fuego with 165mm ones? Also worth trying a LWB such as a Bella. I use 150mm cranks on SWBs and 165mm on my Stratus. I prefer the unsuspended ride on my Stratus to the suspended ride on my Nazca.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Jonathan,

Have you tried swapping legs for take off? Putting your R foot down and pushing of with your left leg. Would require a bit of retraining, but do you think it would help?

OB
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Price seems to have gone up a bit from when it was advertised on here last month?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AM7 wrote:

Price seems to have gone up a bit from when it was advertised on here last month?

To account for eBay fees no doubt
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I only added the URL and price!

Jonathan
AM7

Post by AM7 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
AM7 wrote:Price seems to have gone up a bit from when it was advertised on here last month?

To account for eBay fees no doubt

Of course. Well it looks like it’s sold already anyway.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Zombie thread revival.

I thought I would post my experience here too. Similar outcome. And we're in roughly the same part of the world :)

I have sold my M5 CHR. It's not physically out of my garage yet but I have agreed to sell it on. Over the past couple of years I have developed unbearable foot pain when riding recumbents, particularly on the M5 which has a very high BB. Last year I did a handful of rides on recumbents, this year I have done 2 and didn't enjoy them.

I can just about get away with riding them if I use large platform pedals, a midfoot position and Vivobarefoot trainers with a very wide toe box, but any ball of foot mounted pedal system is a no-go. I was using midsole position with Keo cleats on a pair of Lintaman Minimal shoes but that has also become problematic of late. SPD is basically a disaster for me., even on the wedgie bikes. I have also found on the very rigid M5 that road vibration is going up into my toes and causing severe distress as my toes rattle around inside my shoes. It feels like something has been permanently damaged in my toes as a year off recumbents hasn't made it any better.

I still can't bear to sell the Fuego so am hanging onto that in the hope that I can get a solution to work longer term, but I have more or less transitioned back to standard bikes where my feet do not seem to complain so much. Have some hand issues to sort on road bikes, but my feet seem to be happy. We also have a Nazca Quetzal tandem which is unlikely to find a buyer, but I would probably prefer to switch that to an upright tandem as well as it requires a lot of foot pressure on such a heavy bike on the hills.

I've hummed and hawed about this decision for nearly 2 years, but I think it's the right one. The M5 is a phenomenal bike and I've had some great times on it (many of them above 50 mph) so sad to see it go. I'm replacing it with a steel frame Mason Resolution road bike which I'm hoping will be comfortable enough to keep my 'long days out on the road' itch scratched. It's possible that riding road bikes more will cause other issues to develop in the future, but I've pretty much decided now that if that happens, there's no going back to recumbents anyway. I'll just stop riding bikes altogether and do more running. My main thing is getting outside and keeping fit, so not essential to be on wheels.

I am also very much enjoying getting away from roads altogether on my MTB. Something I haven't done for many years. Lots of great off road trails away from cars around here.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Sorry to hear that. A strange foot problem if you can still run ok and manage on an upright bike.

Have you noticed the collapse in Fuego prices? What went for £1400 is now going for £700, or not being sold at all.