Bob Jackson's is shutting up - IT IS NOW (sob) !!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Bob Jackson's is shutting up - IT IS NOW (sob) !!

Post by pete75 »

leftpoole wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
leftpoole wrote:
All my bikes for 50 years have been and will remain steel. There were 2 exceptions. I bought an aluminium Cannondale and sold within a month. Plus a very early 1994 Giant Cadex-1 week!
Steel will in my opinion never be bettered for a proper ride. All those on Carbon have usually not ridden steel. There are of course exceptions. Carbon is not ecologically friendly. Carbon bikes will deteriorate and fall to bits in around 6-10 years from my investigation into materials used for bike building.
So,,steel is and will always be best, and that is not just my opinion!

People are building planes from carbon composites though, and I'm sure they're expecting to get a bit longer service before, to paraphrase, the bloody wings fall off :D

I believe from what I’ve read, that the types of material
Used in aviation and indeed some F1 racing cars is not the same as that used in frames for bicycles. Plus bicycles are prone to very great deal of flexing under use. A twisted frame when peddling uphill standing up has not a great strength.

Oh yeah. How much power do you think a pro puts through a frame when sprinting or riding uphill. If carbon fibre doesn't flex for them it won't for you.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
colin54

Post by colin54 »

thirdcrank wrote: The Leodis image linked by Colin54 of the shop at 80 Hyde Park Road was the original JRJ pre-war shop. At some point in the early 1960's, the business was at 77-79 HPR,

That image I posted always bothered me slightly, but by TC saying there were two separate Hyde Park Rd locations it all began to make more sense.The Park Hotel pictured became the Little Park Public house which I'd visited many years ago, JRJ @ No 80 was therefore where the new Methodist Church is now.
I'd seen the different addresses before, the fact they were odd instead of even numbers should have stirred my dull brain.Here's a couple of images of the front and rear of 77/79 (was the old Co-op) on the corner of Hartwell Rd. A picture of the back gates when it was the Co-op in 1944 approx; a picture from 1972 by which time it had turned into a Bookies after Jacksons had moved .
Does this seem correct to you thirdcrank ?
I love the first hand comments next to the pictures you get from people who lived in the area back then.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 223_174812
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
The full address at Dewsbury Rd was Unit 1, Union Mills, Dewsbury Rd,LS11 5DD.
Picture from the back of a 90's catalogue showing this. Note it says there was a showroom there.
P1130936.JPG

There are some pictures on this Alaskan cyclist's site of the Station Buildings, Stanningley Rd, Bramley,LS13 3EG (last) location when the shop was still open downstairs, and also of the Harehills Rd site, which the author mistakenly calls 'Harrogate store front Leeds'.
when he picks his bike from Danny Foster in the '90's, nice article.
http://biciak.blogspot.com/2014/04/bob-jackson.html
A picture here of Bob Jackson himself and Danny Foster (again) at a New York Bike Show in the late '70's early '80's.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oroboyz/5 ... 774482931/
Click to the album to see some of the bikes they had on show there, a big stand.
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't claim detailed memories or knowledge of the Hyde Park Road days. One of my cycling chums of that era had a blue JRJ (thus labelled) and I remember riding with him to the shop on the LH side going up, which would have been 77/79 (ie former Co-op.) I've a much clearer memory of Walt Ormsby's HPR shop but no idea why. That's why I checked the Classic Lightweights stuff.

FWIW, Woodrup's used to have a second branch on North Lane in Headingley - almost directly opposite where Two Wheels Good moved when they quit the Briggate shop - but I only clearly remember that because my mother was manageress of a paint and wallpaper shop on Ash Road for about ten years.

I knew the whole Dewsbury Road area well through working at the old Dewsbury Road Police Station and the Union Mills bit in particular through standing in a box in the middle of the road in a long white mac directing traffic, long before Jackson's moved there.

I agree about the Leodis site and the comments. (I would say that because there are plenty of comments on there from me.)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the reply thirdcrank.
In the flikr picture of Bob Jackson & Danny Foster there's a nice comment from Woodrup's Kevin Sayles
about Mr Foster, a small world Leeds frame building .
They should have a section in Leeds Industrial museum about the Leeds builders, it's just about exactly half-way between Woodrup's and Bob Jackson's after all !
https://museumsandgalleries.leeds.gov.u ... al-museum/
Worth a visit when it re-opens.
You might like this thread tc; about old Leeds cycle shops on the Secret Leeds site.

https://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.p ... a15f8ea5f3
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The now almost defunct secret leeds site is the only other forum I do on anything like regularly. Ian Smith (of Otley, not Northern Rhodesia) is a former colleague.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry if this has been reported already, but I ain't going back 7 pages.

Read on my newsfeed this morning that Woodrup Cycles have 'saved' Bob Jackson.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... eds-488920
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the link Simon, I think it was known Woodrup's had bought the rights to the name, but that's the first announcment of their plans that I've read about. Good news.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Deleted double post.
Last edited by colin54 on 28 Jan 2021, 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Good to see they're expanding the range, the tourers could do with longer chainstays and the ability to take a wider tyre. Good luck to them, a brave move in current times.
Nu-Fogey
slowster

Post by slowster »

colin54 wrote:Good to see they're expanding the range, the tourers could do with longer chainstays and the ability to take a wider tyre. Good luck to them, a brave move in current times.

I've similarly thought that their two audax models needed to be replaced or suplemented by a similarly styled light/fast touring frame but with clearance for 32mm-35mm tyres and mudguards, and either Tektro 559 57mm-73mm drop dual pivot calipers or cantilever/mini-V brakes.

As I recall the standard audax model was designed to take standard 37mm-47mm drop dual pivot calipers plus mudguards, and the End to End model was designed to take 47mm-57mm dual pivot calipers plus mudguards. I imagine the former was limited to 23mm or 25mm tyres at most, and the latter probably 28mm.

If the frame and forks were designed to use dual pivot calipers with the blocks at precisely 57mm, that might allow either Tektro 559 calipers to be used with the pads at the top of the slots and still accommodate a 32mm-35mm tyre plus 45mm mudguard, or 47mm-57mm calipers with the pads at the bottom of the slots to accommodate a 28mm tyre plus 35mm mudguard.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I can't keep up!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

slowster wrote:
colin54 wrote:Good to see they're expanding the range, the tourers could do with longer chainstays and the ability to take a wider tyre. Good luck to them, a brave move in current times.

I've similarly thought that their two audax models needed to be replaced or suplemented by a similarly styled light/fast touring frame but with clearance for 32mm-35mm tyres and mudguards, and either Tektro 559 57mm-73mm drop dual pivot calipers or cantilever/mini-V brakes.

As I recall the standard audax model was designed to take standard 37mm-47mm drop dual pivot calipers plus mudguards, and the End to End model was designed to take 47mm-57mm dual pivot calipers plus mudguards. I imagine the former was limited to 23mm or 25mm tyres at most, and the latter probably 28mm.

If the frame and forks were designed to use dual pivot calipers with the blocks at precisely 57mm, that might allow either Tektro 559 calipers to be used with the pads at the top of the slots and still accommodate a 32mm-35mm tyre plus 45mm mudguard, or 47mm-57mm calipers with the pads at the bottom of the slots to accommodate a 28mm tyre plus 35mm mudguard.

Couldn't agree more. Between Closure 1 and Closure 2 I emailed them asking if an Audax or EndtoEnd could be had with larger tyre clearance without going full custom.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

And what - if anything - did they say?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Bmblbzzz wrote:And what - if anything - did they say?

A few days later they said (on their website) after 85 years we are closing immediately!