Dupuytren's contracture

Mick F
Spambuster

Dupuytren's contracture

Post by Mick F »

I'm suffering with this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture
It's become rather bad, especially on my left hand.

It's not stopped me gripping, so not stopping me cycling, but it is a big problem generally. One issue, is that I can't put on cycling mitts! :shock:
They won't go over my swollen knuckles.

I saw the doc some months ago - maybe a year ago - and he said to leave it until it becomes a problem ............. and now it is a problem.
My little fingers are swollen and badly crooked inwards, and I've stopped using them unless gripping tight to something and there's a general ache and throbbing going on with them.

Difficult to take a photo of one hand holding the iPhone in the other to illustrate the point. I'll get Mrs Mick F to do it for me.
Back later.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Re: Dupuytren's contracture

Post by pete75 »

You need to get it sorted out before it gets much worse. My father in law had the contracture, didn't bother doing anything about it until his little finger was so bowed it was a real nuisance. By that stage all that could be done was to amputate it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think it's quite common as we get older. I have a tightening of the little finger tendons in both hands, leading to very mild contracture which is a minor inconvenience but nothing more more. My GP said the same thing as yours. The condtion hasn't really got any worse since it first became noticable. I guess I'm lucky. It is operable though... Mrs T famously had hers 'done'.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Two photos which show the left hand.
Right hand is ok-ish though still quite bad.
Anything done, MUST be the left first as it's getting to be a problem. Right hand can wait until the left is done and healed.
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Mick, you have my sympathy, yours is much worse than mine. (We talked about it on here some time ago)
Hopefully Johnathan will be along with the proper information, but my brother in law had a miserable experience with hand surgery. They cut open the hand to cut out the thickened and contracted fascia; but of course any scar contracts, so in order that you can be better off after the surgery than before they can't make a straight cut, the cut zig-zags about on your palm. (pictures not for the faint-hearted) https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dupuytren%27s+surgery+pictures&id=334008BBA035E485D41E79D837A0B5C4E4174F6F&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover
Recovery was protracted and painful.
For the little finger, I have already decided that amputation is preferable. Is your left middle finger affected?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Time for action!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I suffer very slightly in my right little finger but nothing like yours. There is a surgeon on the YACF forum who has done operations on hands with this problem he may be a good source of advice as he seems amenable to answering questions. His forum name is: chrisbainbridge. Do a search on this subject on that forum and his contribution comes up.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Colin.
Thanks for the graphics. :shock:

My left (and right) middle fingers are fine. Not perfect, but fine.
I'm 68 later this month, so I'm not getting any younger .............. or any more flexible! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Get it sorted but it'll come back. We're had a guy bred in Coniston/Duddon valley area and he had it. First surgery worked well but it always came back. Quicker each time. First time lasted best part of 10 years if that's long enough MickF!!!! :twisted:

Viking in Cornwall!!! Raiding party found a good land to take or just got lost Mick? It's a sign of viking genetics. Where were you from? My colleague was from the viking area of Cumbria. There's even a tynwald parliament stone around there. An old church in was dale apparently has a part of a viking boat as a rafter or beam.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My colleague got his operated on in furness general every time. It's a common op there apparently.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote: Where were you from?
Lancastrian.
Not born, as mum and dad were living in N Wales then, but we were back in Lancashire by the time I was three.

Dad was a Wiganer born and bred and for generations before that.
Mum was Coppull girl born and bred and for generations before that.

I ain't got a clue if anyone in the family ever had this. All dead now, so I'd need a clairvoyant to ask! :lol:

My sister is still with us, so I must ask her. I do know that Aunty Doris (mum's sister) had crooked little fingers and I think my sister has too ............ but they'd been like that since they were young.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Didn't think Wigan/coppull were viking. Iirc there was a Celtic tribe in that region once that left to become the Welsh!! Or so a Welsh patriot and amateur historian once told me. Didn't think Vikings messed around much there. Not easy to nip into your boat and scraper before locals with axes came long for you.

You must have something else in your mix or just be unlucky to be a brit with DC gene. Sounds like you've got the gene.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Correct me if I'm wrong here .........
Generalising too ...........

The British Isles were and have been and will always be, a magnet for immigrants.
Angles and Saxons from Europe and Celts from southern Europe came in, and the Scots from Ireland, and the Norse from Scandinavia.

The Norse came down the western side of present-day Scotland and down the western side of present-day England including Isle of Man of course.

It's very possible that anyone from the NW of UK will have some "Viking" blood in them to a greater or lesser degree.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

anyone from the NW of UK will have some "Viking" blood in them
...and not just north-west - all over the place, I imagine, by now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_h ... es#Vikings
S
soar

Post by soar »

Mick, get surgery asap, I had my right hand operated on 30 years ago when I was 44 , it's been good as gold ever since.
Don't let it get as bad as Bill Night's, he's got it bad in both hands.

Chris.