Re: Dupuytren's contracture

Post by colin54 »

Fingers crossed Mick !
Good Luck
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 1:36pm Fingers crossed Mick !
Very good.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 9:59am All the best! I had a small op on my hand the other month - carried out by a surgeon whose name was... Vlad ! :lol:
While adding my good wishes for successful treatment, the significance of a surgeon called Vlad - presumably short for Vladimir - went over my head.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 2:02pm While adding my good wishes for successful treatment, the significance of a surgeon called Vlad - presumably short for Vladimir - went over my head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Edit: (Thought better of it)

Anyway, best wishes to Mick F
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When I was taking statins I occasionally seemed to get a seized hand like this but it has disappeared since I stopped taking them.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Home.
Via the pub! :D

Nothing done to my pinkies.
Why?

They took my blood pressure before they did anything. Way too high. 185/110 or so. Not surprised in the slightest.
They put me in a quiet room on a bed, and then 20mins later, they took it again.
Ten minutes went by, and the consultant who was going to do the treatment, came in and took it again.
Still WAY too high of course, so that's it.

End of.

Next step is for me to take my BP in the comfort of my own armchair DIY, then take my device to the local (ill)health centre and compare it to the NHS calibrated DIY device there.

Providing my home armchair readings are good, and the (ill)health centre machine and mine agree with each other there, it means my device is reading correctly.

If my home armchair readings are fine 120/80 ish, I phone the consultant and report my info. If she's happy, I'll be getting a new appointment.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

19:00 this evening, it the quiet and calm of my armchair, I used my BP monitor.

132 over 71

This subject should be in the other thread in this section, so copied it there.
viewtopic.php?p=1666574#p1666574
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I bumped into one of my neighbours who I often bump into on my two newspaper paper round and his hand was bandaged after surgery.

To his amazement, I immediately diagnosed Depuytren's contracture. "Blimey, how did you know that?"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
It's amazing what you learn on this forum eh?

I phoned my consultant's secretary the other day, and I was told to go back to my Dr and get them to forward their findings from my own BP readings that I'd submitted. She gave me an email address to give to the Dr.

I'll be in the (ill)health centre on Monday for a dressing-change due to my bicycle accident last Tuesday, so I can ask them to forward the info.

Secretary said that the surgeries for Dupuytren,s only happen every couple of months, so there is time to sort this out.
Mick F. Cornwall
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I know this may be too late, but just to point out that there is a new treatment available now, which is non-invasive:

https://www.nth.nhs.uk/content/uploads/ ... -04-16.pdf
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks, but that is what they were going to do to me as an interim measure.
They still wouldn't do it with high BP so that was the end of that as far as they are concerned.
My BP isn't high unless I'm in a hospital. :lol:

Waiting for a contact again from them, but I'm coming to the idea that 531colin suggested up-thread.

Amputation.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 8:23pm Thanks, but that is what they were going to do to me as an interim measure.
They still wouldn't do it with high BP so that was the end of that as far as they are concerned.
My BP isn't high unless I'm in a hospital.

Waiting for a contact again from them, but I'm coming to the idea that 531colin suggested up-thread.

Amputation.
That's only going to work if you follow the Ranulph Fiennes approach of DIY with domestic power tools. And he still needed a surgeon to tidy it all up later.

You've posted many blood pressure readings taken at home that are elevated. So it isn't only high when you're in a hospital.

But I don't understand why your blood pressure is getting in the way of either surgery or the injection of collagenase. Many people undergo much longer and more complex procedures with bigger problems of blood pressure that you've described in the forums.

I suggest communicating with the surgeon well before your appointment, including what you think is happening with your blood pressure and the two other relevant factors that you have shared with us. If it were me I'd want to have a single plan in advance for what procedure is to be carried out, the workup before the procedure, and the type of anaesthesia.

And, as always, I recommend writing down the questions that you'd like answered so that they aren't forgotten during the consultation.

I hope that it goes well.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Update on all this.

My BP is fine. No issues at all, and I've been in contact with the doc, and he's been in contact with the "hostiple".
Recent measurements only over the last few days:
125/66
125/76
111/51
112/69
126/87
114/48
108/50

The hostiple have been in touch, and they are happy with the comments from the doc and understand that my BP rockets in a clinical environment, and I'm booked in for 11am on the 9th of this month for injections. I originally said to them to do my right hand first, but my left one is much much worse and is becoming a problem, so I want them to that first.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good luck with this with best wishes for a quick recovery. I think "worst first" is generally the best approach: most to gain, least to lose