Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 9:11pm Now he’s got to find a new deputy chief whip. He can’t half pick em :lol:
I have long thought that a crucial aspect of senior management is being able to select/appoint suitable people. Somebody unable to identify strengths and weaknesses in others has no place in a senior role with responsibility for appointing others. Johnson seems to be totally incapable of assessing the abilities and suitability of others, at least not beyond their public blind loyalty to Johnson.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Don't be too hard on Boris, he's doing the work of two men. Laurel and Hardy.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Their only qualification needed in Johnson's government is to protect big dog and be prepared to lie to save him.
The whole cabinet is made up of these numpty types.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:24am Don't be too hard on Boris, he's doing the work of two men. Laurel and Hardy.
Badly :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

francovendee wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:28am Their only qualification needed in Johnson's government is to protect big dog and be prepared to lie to save him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61999786
This had me crying with laughter.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:41am
francovendee wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:28am Their only qualification needed in Johnson's government is to protect big dog and be prepared to lie to save him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61999786
This had me crying with laughter.
Yep,saw that.The woman is a walking political disaster show.Her Channel 4 gaffs to the select committee are incredible! :lol: :? :lol: :? :lol:
These people are running the country :shock: :shock: :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

So it takes one man (Putin) to cause international chaos by starting a war (just to bolster his ego and prove to himself how important he is), another, (Trump) to cripple women's rights for the next 40 years by installing his right wing cronies in the Supreme Court and another (Johnson) to destroy the British economy just to get himself elected to the role of Prime Minister that he (and he alone) has always felt he deserved.

"The UK's trade performance has fallen to its worst level since records began in 1955, placing pressure on the falling value of the pound even further, the Financial Times reports. The paper says the "weak performance" of exports and a significant growth in imports "highlight the economic effects of Brexit" on the economy."

When will people see that a 'strong leader' is just a disaster waiting to happen and instead bring in the representative democracy that the rest of Europe enjoys
pwa

Post by pwa »

Stradageek wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:12am So it takes one man (Putin) to cause international chaos by starting a war (just to bolster his ego and prove to himself how important he is), another, (Trump) to cripple women's rights for the next 40 years by installing his right wing cronies in the Supreme Court and another (Johnson) to destroy the British economy just to get himself elected to the role of Prime Minister that he (and he alone) has always felt he deserved.

"The UK's trade performance has fallen to its worst level since records began in 1955, placing pressure on the falling value of the pound even further, the Financial Times reports. The paper says the "weak performance" of exports and a significant growth in imports "highlight the economic effects of Brexit" on the economy."

When will people see that a 'strong leader' is just a disaster waiting to happen and instead bring in the representative democracy that the rest of Europe enjoys
While I agree with some of what you are saying, Boris did not bring about the Brexit referendum result. All sorts of things did, going back a decade or more. Boris's main contribution was getting Brexit over the line when he became PM, with the NI fudge. Prior to the Brexit referendum campaign, all Boris was to most of us was this comical bloke who, for some reason, the folk in London (a distant place) had chosen as mayor, and who appeared on Have I Got News For You occasionally. He had no cred with me. What little I knew of him gave me no reason to think I should listen to him.

I might add that if there is one good thing to say about him, it is that he has given Ukraine some decent backing since the Russian invasion started. Better than most European states. The UK is second only to the USA in military support for Ukraine. So even Boris can get something right. Maybe down to the chimpanzee with a pencil principle, but there we are.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:36am Maybe down to the chimpanzee with a pencil principle, but there we are.
You have quite possibly offended the entire world population of Chimpanzees with that statement :lol: :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

PedallingSquares wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:10am
pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:36am Maybe down to the chimpanzee with a pencil principle, but there we are.
You have quite possibly offended the entire world population of Chimpanzees with that statement :lol: :lol:
I aplogise unreservedly to any chimpanzees who may have been offended by me comparing them with a certain UK politician.
Last edited by pwa on 1 Jul 2022, 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps the principal here is "you can fool some of the people quite a lot of the time." If I were looking for info on what the UK has done about the invasion of Ukraine, Boris Johnson wouldn't be on my list of sources
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:15am Perhaps the principal here is "you can fool some of the people quite a lot of the time." If I were looking for info on what the UK has done about the invasion of Ukraine, Boris Johnson wouldn't be on my list of sources
The credit I give him on that subject is in the very narrow area of arms supplies and his urging NATO to strengthen its stance. In that specific area the UK has outdone most Western nations. So even Boris can get something right. Very occasionally.

I'll leave it to you to supply a long list of things he got wrong... :lol: Possibly starting with failure to get Ukrainian refugees to safety in the UK in a rapid and seamless fashion? Well done to Poland on that score.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stradageek wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:12am When will people see that a 'strong leader' is just a disaster waiting to happen and instead bring in the representative democracy that the rest of Europe enjoys
Yes please!
Bring it on!

Chatting this morning regarding our MP. Tory, and first past the post elected her.
She got 59% of the vote, meaning 41% of the people here are un-represented in parliament including us, and many people we know.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:19am
thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:15am Perhaps the principal here is "you can fool some of the people quite a lot of the time." If I were looking for info on what the UK has done about the invasion of Ukraine, Boris Johnson wouldn't be on my list of sources
The credit I give him on that subject is in the very narrow area of arms supplies and his urging NATO to strengthen its stance. In that specific area the UK has outdone most Western nations. So even Boris can get something right. Very occasionally.
The difficulty I have with Boris & Ukraine is how the Johnson sycophants seem to believe that Johnson is the only PM who can do this. The assumption that anybody else as PM would be doing little or nothing. I can't see that Johnson has done anything particularly clever or strategic that any other PM would do - except maybe any othe rPM would have ensured fewer barriers to Ukrainian refugees coming to UK and maybe more checks that they didn't end-up with "unsuitable" hosts.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Stradageek wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:12am So it takes one man (Putin) to cause international chaos by starting a war (just to bolster his ego and prove to himself how important he is), another, (Trump) to cripple women's rights for the next 40 years by installing his right wing cronies in the Supreme Court and another (Johnson) to destroy the British economy just to get himself elected to the role of Prime Minister that he (and he alone) has always felt he deserved.

Yes - and they need to remember the strongest leader in the last hundred years was one Josef Stalin.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker